Players from Top Tier Hurling Counties switch to weaker counties

Started by youbetterbelieveit, March 07, 2007, 01:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI honestly believe that in order to give some of the weaker counties a chance in Gaelic Football some of the Tyrone panel could be given to other counties to even things up.  I mean a lot of them live near Armagh anyway..

I believe it is restricted to transfers from top tier counties to lower tier counties. Transfers between two lowest tier counties would not be allowed.

Hope that clears things up for you.

Kevin

So then if you can't claim 'parentage' or if you do not currently reside in the Tier 2/3 County you cannot play for them...

Seems like a a shame if one is wasting away in some hurling stronghold with a desire to get a run out somewhere.

slow corner back

Whilst not against the idea per se I think it would be of more benifit if these guys were playing club hurling in Meath, Kildare etc. It would give more depth to the structure.

Kevin

Didn't think of that. To your point if these players were able to play club it would limit the understandable resentment of a lower tier player who is displaced from a position due to one of these types of transfers.

Playing with a club (if at all practical) makes the situation seem 'reasonable'.

Blacksheep

Quote from: jeremiah on March 07, 2007, 06:07:09 PM
Micky McCullagh from Antrim is hurling development officer for Tyrone and also plays for them. He was sent off at the weekend i believe
I don't think they had Antrim in mind when the rule was introduced!  :-\ Mickey wings is doing great stuff in Tyrone. The underage sence is booming down there and a lot of it is down to his hard work.
Blacksheep - a reckless and unprincipled reprobate!

MacDanger

If a player transfer from a top team down to a lower tier team, it should have to be a permanent change. It wouldn't exactly be good for say Kerry/Laois hurling if a load of young Cork/Kilkenny hurlers transferrred to get a feel of intercounty hurling and then transferred back a couple of years later. It would just turn some smaller counties into training grounds for other counties.

Granted, this is unlikely to happen as Cork/Kilkenny intermediate teams are probably at least as good as many senior county teams.

nrico2006

Mickey McCullough along with a few other coaches are ding good work in tyrone.  He came on as a late sub for tyrone but was sent off near enough immediately.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

thejuice

I think it might give Meath hurling the kick up the Arse it needs. While it would be better that the improvements came from within the county, Eoins involvment will possibly speed up the process for us.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016