Limerick v Galway

Started by GY Joe, March 05, 2007, 09:24:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GY Joe

A good display I thought.. The most heartening thing and one that will give Galway people more satisfaction than anything was the display by the defence. 1-09 conceded admitedley on a dirty day is not bad. O'Shox was held scoreless and only one or two goalmouth incidences. I thought Collins, Lee, and particularly Damien Joyce were excellent.

The full forward line was good... again.. Cloonan, well, first impressions were confirmed, sharp and hungry this year. Brod... flying it and if he stays injury free could have a great year..

Hayes, still a little off, but caused havoc when he came back to the mid in the second half and picked up an amount of ball. The one critisism, and its one he has heard before is that when he goes off on a run he needs to get the head up and look for the free man.. To often he takes one tom many steps and gets nailed. A little rugby watching to learn the value of drawing the man and off loading before the tackle would ensure a better end product.

And Richie Murray.. well I saw something I never would, him scrapping for the ball, AND winning it.. That and his finishing were excellent. Welcome to top class hurling Richie.. we knew you would come sooner or later..

Loughnane changed the whole half forward line in the second half and made a difference. The ball was held up longer (M Kearns takes most of the plaudits here) and it gave the defence more time facing the gale. Tannion, Farragher and Tierney were not at the races and were swapped quick time.. Bringing Hayes back to the free role in the second was a good call as well. 8.5 out of 10 for Loughnane.

Limerick were poor enough. there no 10, OBrien? had a good game and scored a great goal..

He talked up the Tipp game, not that he needs to now. That will be a great match up and expecting a full house in Pearce for that.

mouview

Agree to all the above. Thought the Limerick corner-back Moloney was very unlucky - just returned from a year out through cruciate damage and had started very well against Hayes, hope his current injury isn't too serious. Loughnane certainly doesn't take prisoners, Tierney was hauled off before half-time with the other two at the interval. Farragher is no CHF anyway, going by Cloonan's current form the most he may hope for is a corner-forward slot. David Forde was dodgy for a long time but like the rest of them, finished well. Derek Hardi' surpassed Pete Finnerty's 1993 record of warming up before being brought on. On the debit side however, that's the second game in succession that midfield and half-forwards were changed completely, no-one still able to make a place their own yet. Is Kerril Wade still on the panel? Would like to see him getting a run. Unlike practically all other managers, Loughnane isn't afraid to talk up his chances or at least emphasise the positives, must be very refreshing to journo's.

GaillimhIarthair

Thanks for the match reports lads, didn't get to see it but by all accounts they had the bottle for the fight when required yesterday aganst the wind.

Derek Hardi' surpassed Pete Finnerty's 1993 record of warming up before being brought on.   :D :D :D :D

GalwayBayBoy

Well on the plus side the full-forward line look very sharp. Cloonan is as fit and lean as he's been in donkeys years and there is plenty of pace and trickery with the two in the corner.

The half-forward line mix isn't right yet though. I'd say the only certain starter in that line will be Alan Kerins with the other two spots up for grabs. Mark Kerins will probably eventually grab the centre forward berth with the other wing-forward spot being up in the air between Tannian, Murray, F Healy, N Healy and Farragher etc. The right combination still has to be found at midfield though. Nobody is staking a real claim for the midfield spots yet. Tierney has been out of sorts and it's debatable whether Eoin Lynch is the right man there.

In the half-backs John Lee had a good game at centre-back on Ollie Moran. Collins is assured of his place. Forde doesn't really convince me to be honest. I'd nearly prefer Hardiman there. If he could tighten up his marking a bit he'd be fine as he generally hurls a huge amount of ball.

Joyce is nailed on for one corner in the last line. Kavanagh is doing well so far at full-back so it looks like the number 3 jersey will be between him and D Cloonan. Tony Og is filling in in the other corner but I don't see him as a championship corner-back. He wouldn't have the stickiness and might be turned to easily there for my liking. That position looks to be between F Moore or Kennedy.

Ryan seems to be going alright in goals but hasn't really been tested yet.

cicfada

Eugene Cloonan still needs to prove himself for 2 reasons in my opinion.
1.....He is fierce slow  and doesn't the play slow down a lot when played through   him??
2.....His temperment is still suspect and opposing players will know this, it's one thing having a harder edge but another costing your team through illdiscipline.

Otherwise they performed fairly well though they will have their work cut out to beat Tipp and the cats.That game against KK will be a humdinger and expect a full house as it looks like KK will need full points then as well!!They are doing as well as expected really at this stage!!

slow corner back

Is it just me or is this division a fair bit stronger than the other Div1. Limerick appear to have upped their game this year while Clare have gone backwards in their division and I am still to be convinced by either Wexford or Offally. Just looking at you talking about Galways next two fixtures, very appetising matches for this time of the year.

upfordematch

Cicfada:

""Eugene Cloonan still needs to prove himself for 2 reasons in my opinion.
1.....He is fierce slow  and doesn't the play slow down a lot when played through   him??
2.....His temperment is still suspect and opposing players will know this, it's one thing having a harder edge but another costing your team through illdiscipline.""

what the hell are you on about?
The man was named Man of the Mathch (by a mile) by Galway Bay FM.
He was the top scorer by a mile.
Both RTE analysts, Daly and Cyril sang his praises!
He is fitter looking than any other player and as for his discipline, he took fair stick yesterday and kept going. He even got a blatant punch in the balls at one stage!
The man is a tank and is tough as nails, without him we havn't a hope! And he is a great free taker.
Cicfada, get a clue will ya!   ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Zorba the Greek

My Da watched this game on TG4 thinking it was live and ran out to get a cup of tea in the second half. In the kitchen the radio was broadcasting a final report. Was he pished aff?