All Ireland S.H.C. Final

Started by lilpaulie85, August 19, 2010, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010 All Ireland Champions?

Kilkenny
Tipp

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

The Wedger

Tipp name an unchanged side:

Tipperary (All-Ireland SHC final v Kilkenny) - Brendan Cummins, Paddy Stapleton, Paul Curran, Michael Cahill, Declan Fanning, Conor O'Mahony, Padraic Maher, Brendan Maher, Shane McGrath, Gearóid Ryan, Patrick Maher, John O'Brien, Noel McGrath, Eoin Kelly, Lar Corbett.

The Wedger

Leahy fears sideline clash could haunt Tipp

Tipperary legend John Leahy fears that the sideline altercation between Liam Sheedy and Brian Cody earlier this year could come back to haunt the Premier County.

The rival managers squared up to each other on the Semple Stadium sideline during Tipp's National League victory in March, and Leahy believes Kilkenny could use the incident as motivation in Sunday's All-Ireland final.

Cody pointed a finger at Sheedy, who responded by pushing the Kilkenny manager in the chest. But the pair shook hands at the final whistle and dismissed the flashpoint after the game.

"Kilkenny's performances over the last few years show that they are the best team in the country," 1989 and '91 All-Ireland winner Leahy said.

"On top of that, also, I'm a bit concerned with the Tipp-Kilkenny match that happened in Thurles when Liam Sheedy had a go at Cody. Will that come back to haunt Tipperary hurling for the final? That'll give Kilkenny a huge incentive to play against Tipperary.

"The ideal situation from a Kilkenny point of view would be that if you did want to do five-in-a-row, you would want to beat Tipp to do it. Living on the border (Mullinahone), I hear huge rivalry there.

"It's great, but it's intense as well and I'm sure every Kilkenny player would think if you're going to do five-in-a-row, then why not cap it off by beating Tipperary, one of their main rivals?"

bottlethrower7

bottlethrower7

Quote from: The Wedger on September 03, 2010, 08:03:19 AM
Tipperary legend John Leahy fears that the sideline altercation between Liam Sheedy and Brian Cody earlier this year could come back to haunt the Premier County.

Leahy has run Tipp down before every single game they played this year. Hes the new Babs.

johnneycool

The rival managers squared up to each other on the Semple Stadium sideline during Tipp's National League victory in March, and Leahy believes Kilkenny could use the incident as motivation in Sunday's All-Ireland final.

Cody pointed a finger at Sheedy, who responded by pushing the Kilkenny manager in the chest. But the pair shook hands at the final whistle and dismissed the flashpoint after the game.

"Kilkenny's performances over the last few years show that they are the best team in the country," 1989 and '91 All-Ireland winner Leahy said.

"On top of that, also, I'm a bit concerned with the Tipp-Kilkenny match that happened in Thurles when Liam Sheedy had a go at Cody. Will that come back to haunt Tipperary hurling for the final? That'll give Kilkenny a huge incentive to play against Tipperary.

"The ideal situation from a Kilkenny point of view would be that if you did want to do five-in-a-row, you would want to beat Tipp to do it. Living on the border (Mullinahone), I hear huge rivalry there.

"It's great, but it's intense as well and I'm sure every Kilkenny player would think if you're going to do five-in-a-row, then why not cap it off by beating Tipperary, one of their main rivals?"

That'll not matter a jot to Cody and Kilkenny.

Beating Cork and Tipp on their way to five in a row will be incentive enough I'd have thought.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: johnneycool on September 03, 2010, 11:39:44 AM

That'll not matter a jot to Cody and Kilkenny.

Beating Cork and Tipp on their way to five in a row will be incentive enough I'd have thought.

Just winning is enough for cody id have taught
Chase the dream not the competition.

mouview

Why KK will win on Sunday;

•   Proven winners and big day performers, don't panic or do off-days
•   They are so in-sync with each other's style of play, e.g. under the dropping ball and in a ruck, invariably a black-and-amber jersey emerges with the sliotar
•   They don't need to do tactics or systems, just play the orthodox 15 in position
•   Great back-up off the bench, especially for the crucial midfield sector
•   5-in-a-row is a great incentive

Why KK mightn't win on Sunday;
•   I don't necessarily believe they're better this year than last; their league campaign wasn't as good and the toughest test they've had to date was against a poorly-selected and tactically-bad Galway side who still stuck with them for 35 minutes. In 2009 Galway gave them a tougher test and W'ford did too in the semi.
•   The KK forward division rely on Shefflin much more than many realise; the rest of them, bar Power, are having relatively quiet years. Additionally the full-back line may be vulnerable; Dalton may not be the finished article (yet), Hickey can be slow and Tyrrell had a tough outing v Cork. If they all start, I predict that at least 4 of the following will be replaced on Sunday *by necessity* - Dalton, Hickey, Comerford, Reid, Brennan, Larkin, Fogarty.
•   Tipp have had a tougher campaign to date; had a great win over Galway and had a good outing v W'ford. Their form is good, especially in the forwards. Also, they have the only midfield in the country that can possibly break even with KK. Their bench has improved too.
•   Tipp won't lack for hunger and will want revenge for last year.
•   KK's injuries and fitness doubts may finally catch up with them.

A lot of permutations there; it's dodgy to back against the house but I just think Tipp have more going for them and that KK have too many question marks over their heads. Tipp, (by anything up to 7!!).

passedit

all fair points mouview and it's hard to overestimate the importance of the feeling they left it behind them last year (whether thats true or not) as a motivating and confidence building factor.

Tipp honestly believe they are a match for kilkenny and belief goes a long way.

The comparison has already been made with offaly and Kerry and indeed offaly were kerry's victims the year before while kerry were struggling with injuries and expectation in 82. I think it'll be a cracking match and if we get a finish like 82 that'd be nice. (any of the tipp subs play in 01?).

It's a third tipp down double for me so.
Don't Panic

Bud Wiser

QuoteI predict that at least 4 of the following will be replaced on Sunday *by necessity* - Dalton, Hickey, Comerford, Reid, Brennan, Larkin, Fogarty.

Brennan & Dalton?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-9jb51F_to

Fogarty is not much faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O0K6i4ewaw

Comerford gave the impression to me that he could score a point sleepwalking when he came on against Cork and knows where the net is too?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhU_kT1tgZY

Reid?  There are plenty of Tipp lads would rather see him sitting in the stand than anywhere near  the 20 meter line !!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZITlDlAb8Y

In any case, all the talking is done now and in an hour and a half Cody will announce his team.  Right up until then nobody knows who will make the starting fifteen, Charlie Carter comes to mind but it won't matter because they are all playing as a squad and the build up is absolutely fantastic.  May the best team win. C'mon the Cat's.

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Minder

No Rice or Hogan.

Ryan
Dalton Hickey Tyrrell
Walsh Tennyson Delaney
Cha Fitz Fennelly
Reid Shefflin Larkin
Brennan Power Fogarty
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

orangeman

Henry Shefflin and John Tennyson will start for Kilkenny in the GAA Hurling All-Ireland final on Sunday.

Ballyhale Shamrocks star Shefflin was expected to miss the game immediately after suffering a cruciate ligament injury during the Cats' All-Ireland semi-final victory over Cork.

But he has trained with the squad in recent weeks without showing any adverse reaction and has been deemed fit to start in the half-forward line.

Tennyson was also considered a doubt due to a ruptured cruciate suffered in the build-up to the semi-final but Kilkenny manager Brian Cody has decided that he is fit enough to take his place in the starting line-up.

The Carrickshock man will line out at centre-back in place of Brian Hogan, who suffered a broken finger during training in the lead-up to the final.

James Ryall, who replaced Hogan when he was forced off after 15 minutes of the semi-final with a shoulder injury, is named on the bench along with 2009 All Star winning midfielder Michael Rice.

There had been speculation that Rice would be brought into the forward division at the expense of Eddie Brennan or TJ Reid but Kilkenny have opted to stick with the status quo.

Michael Kavanagh, Derek Lyng and Martin Comerford are also among the options on the bench while Hogan is also named as a substitute.

Shefflin's selection means that the inclusion of Tennyson is the only change from the Kilkenny team that beat Cork on 8 August.

TJ Reid of Ballyhale Shamrocks captains the team.

Kilkenny team to play Tipperary in the GAA Hurling All-Ireland final on Sunday 5 September (3.30pm):

1. PJ Ryan (Fenians)
2. John Dalton (Carrickshock)
3. Noel Hickey (Dunnamaggin)
4. Jackie Tyrrell (James Stephens)
5. Tommy Walsh (Tullaroan)
6. John Tennyson (Carrickshock)
7. J.J. Delaney (Fenians)
8. James 'Cha' Fitzpatrick (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
9. Michael Fennelly (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
10. TJ Reid (Ballyhale Shamrocks) (Captain)
11. Henry Shefflin (Ballyhale Shamrocks)
12. Eoin Larkin (James Stephens)
13. Eddie Brennan (Graig Ballycallan)
14. Richard Power (Carrickshock)
15. Aidan Fogarty (Emeralds)

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Minder on September 03, 2010, 09:51:09 PM
No Rice or Hogan.

Ryan
Dalton Hickey Tyrrell
Walsh Tennyson Delaney
Cha Fitz Fennelly
Reid Shefflin Larkin
Brennan Power Fogarty
Cody's spoilt for choice
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

sammymaguire

Quote from: bottlethrower7 on September 03, 2010, 10:05:32 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 02, 2010, 09:35:22 PM
I think Tipp will win, by 3/4.

good detailed analysis there

And the guy needs a comprehensive analysis to accompany his post about his opinion on the game on this thread to keep you happy does he??
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

ha ha derry

Last week i was thinking it would be a close game with the cats just edging it. This week i think Kilkenny by 6/7 just pulling away (as they always do) it the last ten minutes. Kilkennys superior mental strength being the difference. Hope its as good as last years epic!
Just got a ticket there on wed nite.