All Ireland S.H.C. Final

Started by lilpaulie85, August 19, 2010, 12:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2010 All Ireland Champions?

Kilkenny
Tipp

lilpaulie85

So who is going to take it? I cant see tipp winning on their semi display, shipping 1-18 to a team playing with one forward for long spells, Alot was made of the manner of their victory over waterford and that the scoreline didn't reflect fully their dominance. The fact is that the manner in which you have won does not matter if you havent put that dominance on the scoreboard. The cats rarely have the ball in their possession for longer than 20 - 30 seconds in total before an attempt on goal is made and usually converted in fairness. It's this ability to keep the score board ticking over constantly which i think is kilkennys defining characteristic, and which is what makes them so hard to compete with let alone beat. tipp may well push them close however unless they can convert more possession into scores than they have all year i think the cats will get the 5.
Chase the dream not the competition.

Canalman

Absolutely convinced that Tipp will win it and alot easier than people think. The end comes quickly and harshly to all great teams and imo you cannot underestimate hunger to win. For the 1st time I see one or two passengers on a Cody team.

Tipp by 5 points. 

Hope to be there myself.

orangeman

Quote from: Canalman on August 19, 2010, 03:58:42 PM
Absolutely convinced that Tipp will win it and alot easier than people think. The end comes quickly and harshly to all great teams and imo you cannot underestimate hunger to win. For the 1st time I see one or two passengers on a Cody team.Tipp by 5 points. 

Hope to be there myself.

Like who ?

lilpaulie85

i think thats a bit much, Cody has shown he doesn't bring passengers the bench is too strong to be sure of your place in the starting 15.

gallsman

Would also love to know who the passengers are Canalman. I think KK are every bit as good as last year, perhaps even better.

Canalman

Weak links (on 2010 form anyway and mindful how woeful Cork were)

Eddie Brennan
Aidan Fogarty
Comerford ( dropped )

Don't get me wrong these lads are/were brilliant hurlers but I just think that their best days(admittedly brilliant) are behind them.

However, don't be surprised if each of them have great games in AIF and prove me wrong.

Would these lads be starting if KK had a fully fit panel? I have my doubts.

Just think Tipp have a better balance and more players hitting form at right time.

I am not wumming by the way and don't mean any disrespect to the lads mentioned.

orangeman

Quote from: Canalman on August 19, 2010, 04:52:53 PM
Weak links (on 2010 form anyway and mindful how woeful Cork were)

Eddie Brennan
Aidan Fogarty
Comerford ( dropped )

Don't get me wrong these lads are/were brilliant hurlers but I just think that their best days(admittedly brilliant) are behind them.

However, don't be surprised if each of them have great games in AIF and prove me wrong.

Would these lads be starting if KK had a fully fit panel? I have my doubts.

Just think Tipp have a better balance and more players hitting form at right time.

I am not wumming by the way and don't mean any disrespect to the lads mentioned.

You have to be on the wum !

gallsman

Who would you replace Eddie Brennan with from a "fully fit" KK panel? Richie Hogan? Hasn't proved himself. Mulhall? Hasn't started a championship match. Brennan is still one of the best men in the country to bag a goal.

Fogarty? Has never nailed down a spot but, to my mind, has never once let Kilkenny down. Scored 1-1 the last day.

Gorta? Cam on the last day and scored a wonder point with his first touch. Comerford isn't there to be flashy and classy like Shefflin and Power, he's there to absolutely work his hole off, which he does brilliantly.

With regards to Tipp having players hitting form at the right time, seven Kilkenny forwards scored from the first half against Cork, as did Michael Fennelly. Players like McGrath and O'Brien will get nowhere near the space and time they did against Waterford and their midfield will be hassled and harried all day by whatever combination Cody picks - he has four of the best midfielders in the country to choose from.

Don't get me wrong, Tipp could certainly win this match, but I think you're stretching it a bit to say that Tipp will win it handily and that KK are on the way down.

gallsman

Time to crank up the hype levels a little bit?

I have to ask, is this the biggest hurling match in history? (Reillers, you opinion doesn't count) My dad has been going to Croke Park for over fifty years and I've never seen him so excited. My first final was Wexford-Limerick in 1996 and it's certainly the biggest I can remember.

EddieMerx

Can't see Tipp doing this, they need a 100% fit Eoin Kelly to stand any chance but unfortunately he is not at his best. I am making the bold claim that this will be over by half time... Kilkenny to turn in a performance unlike anything we have seen before in Croker :)

cicfada

I  would love to have passengers like Brennan and Fogarty in my team. It's a habit that Kilkenny have that one day a player plays well and then the next day it's someone else's turn. Like Power in the semifinal it'll be Fogarty or brennan the next! I wonder how fit  Shefflin really is to be honest because without him Kilkenny could struggle!It's just that he directs things around him and inspires the rest of them! For Tipp to  win they need Kelly and Corbett and another forward to play out of their skins. John o Brien is fierce windy and rarely puts 2  good games back to back!! it might be the stage for Noel Mc Grath to do his stuff. Meanwhile it's the backs that have to keep all the Kilkenny  forwards quiet  and that will not happen! I don't really know who I want to win this as I am sick of the sight of the cats while still admiring their brilliance! And Tipp are still the most arrogant county around which is amazing when you consider that Offaly have won more all Irelands than them in the last 30 years!! Also the fact that the All Ireland  U21 final is fixed in Thurles, basically a home game for them, leaves a  poor taste in my mouth! THe Tipp management had nothing to do with it but it's so unfair! Unfortunately these days I work weekends and so will not see the match live but Micheal O muircheartaigh will keep me  informed I'm sure!!

bottlethrower7

Quote from: Canalman on August 19, 2010, 03:58:42 PM
Absolutely convinced that Tipp will win it and alot easier than people think. The end comes quickly and harshly to all great teams and imo you cannot underestimate hunger to win. For the 1st time I see one or two passengers on a Cody team.

Tipp by 5 points. 

Hope to be there myself.

agreed. In fact I think Tipp's subs would beat Kilkenny who, quite frankly, have no chance at all.

word has it theres lots of spare tickets in Kilkenny as they won't travel in any great numbers, due to the lack of any real hope that Kilkenny have in this game.

Karinalawlor

Why all negative about tipp?? We have the utmost respect for the Kilkenny team in Tipperary, and I'm sick of people writing us off as a team bottom line it will be the best match of the year between the best two counties in Ireland and I can't wait for it!

lilpaulie85

Quote from: Karinalawlor on August 31, 2010, 11:10:58 PM
Why all negative about tipp?? We have the utmost respect for the Kilkenny team in Tipperary, and I'm sick of people writing us off as a team bottom line it will be the best match of the year between the best two counties in Ireland and I can't wait for it!

Just calling it as we see it is all, thats not to say i haven't been wrong before just don't think tipp will win it this year

johnneycool

Quote from: Karinalawlor on August 31, 2010, 11:10:58 PM

Tipps dire performance down by the Lee is still fresh in the mind even though they've seen off Wexford, Galway and Waterford since.

Certainly they have improved and if their defence can  improve a bit more then I can see a real game taking place on Sunday. Tipp will need to get at least three goals to win it as they'll conceed some down the other end.

Still going with Kilkenny by two points even minus Shefflin.