Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffman

Quote from: NorthAntrim on November 06, 2023, 11:55:45 AMAre the county back? Any new faces or anyone opting out?

Heard theres been 5/6 regulars opt out however this stage of the year can always be just whispers

Saffrongael

Heard they are back properly tonight. Heard a few of the Dunloy contingent are going down under and have opted out ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on November 15, 2023, 03:36:36 PMHeard they are back properly tonight. Heard a few of the Dunloy contingent are going down under and have opted out ?

If so, that'd be a blow to Antrim in the upcoming National League.

1. Need these players to consolidate in division.

2. Need them and a few others in to push on a bit.

Without them (dependent on who'll not be there), it'll be difficult for Gleeson.

NorthAntrim

Also the first year without McManus on the pitch or in the dressing room. Minus the likes of Burke, Campbell etc who are the more experienced

Milltown Row2

Cushendall should have too much problems at the weekend, Ports will put it up to them for large parts of the first and early second half but expect Cushendall to pull away and win by 5 or 6 points

Creggan will get it tough again, none of their games have been easy this year, which means they are defo battle hardened, also McCann is getting more games and getting sharper with each game

Hopefully both come through and set themselves up for a double for the county
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2023, 12:52:00 PMCushendall should have too much problems at the weekend, Ports will put it up to them for large parts of the first and early second half but expect Cushendall to pull away and win by 5 or 6 points

Creggan will get it tough again, none of their games have been easy this year, which means they are defo battle hardened, also McCann is getting more games and getting sharper with each game

Hopefully both come through and set themselves up for a double for the county

Cushendall have been a fruitful hunting ground for the Ards teams in the Ulster championship, but yes Cushendall are hot favourites alright, but if I was in the Portaferry changing room I'd be telling them to go full bore from the get go and see how Cushendall respond. Ports are weak enough mentally and the conversation I had with one of their selectors recently hasn't changed my mind on that. They seem happy with a Down championship, a common theme in Portaferry over the years rather than kick on for a go at Ulster. I never got that, it's a two/three horse race in Down FFS.
They downed tools quickly last year vrs Slaughtneil, I'd hope they don't do the same this weekend!

johnnycool

That's nice!

Ruín 3

Naomh Éanna CLG proposes that all Phase one games (i.e. first round) of league competitions shall be played within County Antrim.
In line with normal procedure, any application to change the fixtures shall be subject to CCC approval and agreement of both clubs.

What's this about?

NorthAntrim

Down teams up the road every week.

saffman

Quote from: johnnycool on November 17, 2023, 03:56:33 PMThat's nice!

Ruín 3

Naomh Éanna CLG proposes that all Phase one games (i.e. first round) of league competitions shall be played within County Antrim.
In line with normal procedure, any application to change the fixtures shall be subject to CCC approval and agreement of both clubs.

What's this about?

Controversial ....

From an NE point of view and to be devils advocate...

Div 1 has been almost impossible for any promoted team to crack, the more antrim teams able to compete in div 1 and a competitive pathway to div 1 is only going to develop antrim hurling.

If anything can be done to further develop antrim clubs at the top tier then it should at least be considered.

Understand this may not sit well and may be seen as unfair to the Ards teams but if it strengthens antrim hurling that should be the primary aim

Two Hands FFS

Embarrassing

What if the Leinster Council made Antrim travel to play all the matches in the group stages in Leinster?

saffman

#1 that would be Leinster councils perogative if they chose to do so

#2 slightly different in that its an overall GAA structure. If antrim objected to that then the GAA would have to restructure to offer a pathway to the liam McCarthy

Either way and i know this will be unpopular but if Antrim replaced the Down teams with 3 top teams from Div 2 it would create a split in Div 1 however you would have the top teams competing to win. A group of 4/5 teams battling against relegation all the while avoiding the yoyo effect many teams have encountered.

Youd also have more antrim players exposed to Div 1 hurling and a platform to perform and perhaps make the county squad

Milltown Row2

I'm not sure what the benefits are with regards to not traveling to Portaferry
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Old Time Hurler

Can someone please post any County convention motions or proposals for us all to get a look at?

Delgany 2nds

1. The Leinster Hurling championship to be increased from 6 Counties to 10
Counties incorporating the Joe McDonagh Cup and split into 2 groups (5
Counties in each group) and played on a round robin basis. Each group to be
seeded according to the individual counties' placings in the previous year's
Leinster/Joe McDonagh Cup.
The 1st placed Counties in each group play the 2nd placed Counties in the other
group in the semi finals of the Leinster Hurling Championship.
The winners of the Leinster Championship qualify for the semi finals of the Liam
McCarthy Cup.
The beaten finalists quality for quarter finals of the Qualifiers.
The beaten semi finals play off in a preliminary quarter final.
The 3rd placed counties in each group qualify for the semi finals of the Joe
McDonagh Cup.
The 4th placed counties in each group play the 5th placed counties in the other
group in the quarter finals of the Joe McDonagh Cup with the winners playing
the 3rd placed counties in the semi finals.
The beaten quarter final counties play off with the losers relegated to the Christy
Ring Cup.
In the inception year the top four placed counties from the previous years Joe
McDonagh Cup would qualify for the NEW Leinster Hurling Championship with
the two bottom counties participating in the Christy Ring Cup.
Glen Rovers,

Delgany 2nds

Motion 7
Naomh Éanna CLG proposes that prior to the commencement of league
competitions (Antrim GAA), all and any participants (i.e., counties including and
not limited to; Ard Mhacha, An Dún, Doire & Tír Eoghain), to provide a graded
list of county players that shall not be eligible for phase one games.