NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheMaster

What did Higgins get for the headbutt?

Hound

Quote from: Sportacus on January 29, 2019, 06:48:41 PM
Monaghan exposed Dublin's only weakness, unsteady under the high ball into the square.  Often wonder would Mayo have won Sam if they'd put Barry Moran on the square in one of those replays and used him all day.   Also wonder why more teams don't do this to Dublin, when you think Kerry had Donaghy and didn't really use him.  Tactics don't have to be rocket science.
Yep, Dublin haven't had a full back since O'Carroll went down under. Full back line made up of corner backs, feisty, tough, reasonably pacey, but none what you'd call "very good" under a high ball.

One year Mayo gave O'Shea a decent spell in FF against us, and he won every ball. But tactics were awful afterwards. Instead of laying it off he always turned and tried to bulldoze his way through. I could see him doing a lot of damage against us with this rule.
Post O'Carroll, Donaghy has always caused us problems when played at FF. Bizarrely he'd often wander out the field against us, where he's near useless. And when in FF, Kerry rarely used him as their primary tactic. But you could imagine an on-song Geaney and Clifford having a field day.

With our current full back line, the new mark rule definitely doesn't suit us, and I'm relieved it can't be in for 2019 championship. Also, we've not much in the way of fielding full forwards either. O'Gara, on his day, is a very good fielder, but being able to kick the ball over the bar after making a mark would be another question! Bernard is a much under-rated fielder, and obviously well able to kick the ball over, so I think he'd thrive with it. But he'll be retired by the time the mark is in for championship.

Against Monaghan, Dean Rock made a run from full forward in a diagonal line towards the LHF position. He caught a 20 yard pop pass. In normal circumstances his only real option would have been to try and find a runner, as the full back was up behind him and if Rock tried to turn he'd be swallowed up. Instead a mark was called and he'd a easy point from just outside the D.

I think that's a big weakness in the new rule. Unlike a high catch by a full forward under pressure from defenders, I don't think what Rock did deserved a handy tap over point.

JoG2

Quote from: TheMaster on January 30, 2019, 10:51:40 AM

Don't be an ass (repeatedly) ffs. At this stage there should be a specific ban for an eye gouge so there's no ambiguity (there's unfortunately been a few in recent years) of a year ban. 1 match ban is nothing short of a disgrace

Blowitupref

Quote from: JoG2 on January 30, 2019, 11:55:10 AM

Don't be an ass (repeatedly) ffs. At this stage there should be a specific ban for an eye gouge so there's no ambiguity (there's unfortunately been a few in recent years) of a year ban. 1 match ban is nothing short of a disgrace

The GAA are well known for change but this was one such incident that was always likely to stay with a one match ban after previous similar incidents so no surprise at all.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Tubberman

A clap on the back for the restraint he showed.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Quote from: straightred on January 30, 2019, 10:41:56 AM
I see Smith got a one match ban for the eye gouging incident.

It was for endangerment. No mention of "eye gouging".

It seems retaliation isn't an offence any more though.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2019, 12:21:33 PM
Quote from: straightred on January 30, 2019, 10:41:56 AM
I see Smith got a one match ban for the eye gouging incident.

It was for endangerment. No mention of "eye gouging".

It seems retaliation isn't an offence any more though.

Another 'gobeen' has his say. No shortage in Roscommon by the looks of it

TheMaster

Quote from: Tubberman on January 30, 2019, 12:19:48 PM

That what referee is for. Smith should got 6 months. So next time  one of the Galway lads gets elbow from oconnors will a Galway lad be allowed hit him back?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 29, 2019, 04:49:12 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 29, 2019, 01:17:34 PM
Couldn't make the game but did Galway make use of the mark at all against Cavan?

Not really, I think Cunningham might have caught one but played on, can't be certain. If he did it was by accident rather than any plan. Comer is made for the mark but doesn't look like we'll be paying much heed to it whenever he's back.

No point in putting any effort into it considering it won't be around come championship.

Manning18

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2019, 01:03:36 PM
Couldn't make the game but did Galway make use of the mark at all against Cavan?

Not really, I think Cunningham might have caught one but played on, can't be certain. If he did it was by accident rather than any plan. Comer is made for the mark but doesn't look like we'll be paying much heed to it whenever he's back.

No point in putting any effort into it considering it won't be around come championship.

There were 3 or 4 clear mark's by Galway that the ref didnt blow for. It's like he wasnt aware of the rule, although he may just not have whistled in play on opportunities such as Heaney's goal chance. Cooke was attempting to "play quarterback" and set up marks with kicks in but badly misjudged them on a couple of occasions straight to defenders. Comer/Burke, with Conroy providing, would look made for winning marks but as you say i'd say Walsh has put zero stock on the new rules with championship getting the full focus this year

giveballaghback

Is charging with the elbow straight out in front not endangerment as is constantly done by Aiden O Shea but he is never pulled for it, or maybe his elbow has a soft centre like the rest of this rhubarb team ::)

BennyCake

Quote from: TheMaster on January 30, 2019, 12:46:48 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on January 30, 2019, 12:19:48 PM

That what referee is for. Smith should got 6 months. So next time  one of the Galway lads gets elbow from oconnors will a Galway lad be allowed hit him back?

I'd go further. I'd give a year.

Rossfan

Thankfully you and the baying mob aren't in charge of disciplinary issues.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on January 30, 2019, 02:04:51 PM
Thankfully you and the baying mob aren't in charge of disciplinary issues.

Will say no more, you Rossie's are hitting it out of the park all by yourselves.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Manning18 on January 30, 2019, 01:29:43 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 30, 2019, 01:03:36 PM

There were 3 or 4 clear mark's by Galway that the ref didnt blow for. It's like he wasnt aware of the rule, although he may just not have whistled in play on opportunities such as Heaney's goal chance. Cooke was attempting to "play quarterback" and set up marks with kicks in but badly misjudged them on a couple of occasions straight to defenders. Comer/Burke, with Conroy providing, would look made for winning marks but as you say i'd say Walsh has put zero stock on the new rules with championship getting the full focus this year

I like Cooke but he gives the ball away too easily, I've seen him kick scores with both feet from huge distances but then again I've seen him miss right in front of the posts like he did against Kerry last July. Playing Sigerson is getting in the way too. Kieran Molloy too can be a bit wasteful in possession too, needs to cut that out as he's got every attribute to be a brilliant wing back.