NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

An odd request but I'm over for the weekend with no transport. Anyone on Galway/Mayo border that would have space in the car for a lift into Galway for the match? More than happy to contribute towards fuel or pay for a ticket.

Farrandeelin

Predictions?

Mayo and Ros to draw.
Kerry to beat Tyrone.
Galway to struggle past Cavan.
Monaghan to beat the Dubs.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Cunny Funt

The Galway team to play Cavan.

1. Ruairi Lavelle (Salthill Knocknacarra)
2. Eoghan Kerin (Annaghdowngaa)
3. Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Cumann Peile Naomh Anna)
4. David Wynne (Cumann Peile Mhaigh Cuilinn)
5. Gary O'Donnell (Tuam Stars)
6. Gareth Bradshaw (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
7. Seán Kelly (Mhaigh Cuilinn)
8. Thomas Flynn (Stmarysgaa Athenry)
9. Ciaran Duggan (Annaghdown)
10. Fintan Cooney (St. James')
11. Johnny Duane (St. James')
12. Johnny Heaney (Killannin)
13. Danny Cummins (Claregalway)
14. Eoin Finnerty (Mountbellew Moylough)
15. Shane Walsh (Kilkerrin/Clonberne)

I think all bar two has started in Connacht finals?

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 25, 2019, 09:12:19 PM

That's a poor forward unit is all I can say.
Duane and Heaney are backs, Cooney & Finnerty not up to that level imo.
David Wynne an extremely weak link in the fb line.
Walsh and Danny the only real scoring threats.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 25, 2019, 09:12:19 PM

So Heaney is the only one who made it from the four injured in the FBD final. M Daly, Kyne and McDaid all missing unless one or two are on the bench. Some of the NUIG lads missing as they played last Wednesday and play again next Wednesday presumably.

I will say that Walsh has some fascination with putting defenders in the half-forward line. Constantly does it. I know his choices are limited this week but still.

An Fhairche Abu

Johnny Duane at CHF?! I'll be very interested who is on the subs bench on the programme Sunday to see who is missing out if that's where we are at, some injuries to deal with granted, but still...
I've an open mind on the likes of Cooney and Finnerty, we'll see how it goes for them. When was the last time Danny Cummins started a match for Galway? He'll need to hit the ground running the way things are shaping up.

Duine Eile

Not exactly going to be an open free flowing game then, how many defenders can you name on one team!  :-\ Bradshaw, Duggan, Cooney had stinkers last week, lets hope things improve Sunday. Both Dalys must be carrying injuries. That said, I wonder is Sigerson a contributing factor here? A lot of lads played this week and they're out again next week. Can't see that team beating Cavan to be honest and this is one game we really need 2 points from.

galwayman

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on January 25, 2019, 09:42:42 PM
Johnny Duane at CHF?! I'll be very interested who is on the subs bench on the programme Sunday to see who is missing out if that's where we are at, some injuries to deal with granted, but still...
I've an open mind on the likes of Cooney and Finnerty, we'll see how it goes for them. When was the last time Danny Cummins started a match for Galway? He'll need to hit the ground running the way things are shaping up.
McHugh is dropped presumably?
Cunningham not going to get a look in by the looks of it at this stage given how many forwards are out already.

galwayman

Quote from: Duine Eile on January 25, 2019, 09:47:57 PM
Not exactly going to be an open free flowing game then, how many defenders can you name on one team!  :-\ Bradshaw, Duggan, Cooney had stinkers last week, lets hope things improve Sunday. Both Dalys must be carrying injuries. That said, I wonder is Sigerson a contributing factor here? A lot of lads played this week and they're out again next week. Can't see that team beating Cavan to be honest and this is one game we really need 2 points from.
John Daly tweaked his hamstring in the Mayo game.
Did not tog for NUIG in Sigerson.
We could struggle for scores on Sunday.
It's hard to know what Cavan are like.
Shane Walsh the only freetaker in the team too with McHugh not selected.

Duine Eile

McHugh injured too according to Galway Bay this evening. Surely there's a couple of half decent forwards that were in the training squad or are we that stuck that we need to be naming defenders in the forwards? The sooner Corofin finish their club campaign the better!

mrdeeds

Quote from: galwayman on January 25, 2019, 09:52:20 PM
John Daly tweaked his hamstring in the Mayo game.
Did not tog for NUIG in Sigerson.
We could struggle for scores on Sunday.
It's hard to know what Cavan are like.
Shane Walsh the only freetaker in the team too with McHugh not selected.

We don't know what we're like. Gearoid obviously huge loss and we have a lot of new panellists in who are very young and light.

An Fhairche Abu

I'm not a betting man but Cavan at 11/4 is looking serious value, coming in from 3-1 at start of the week.
Midfield will have to absolutely boss the game for Galway to get enough chances to kick any reasonable score I think.

GalwayBayBoy

Why not give Cunningham a go in the corner and move Shane Walsh to 11? I mean you probably learn more from that than sticking more defenders up front.

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on January 25, 2019, 10:00:49 PM
Why not give Cunningham a go in the corner and move Shane Walsh to 11? I mean you probably learn more from that than sticking more defenders up front.
Yeah Cunningham well capable of playing 11 also. Lethal pace.
Look he may or may not be up to the required standard - I would say there are question marks about his workrate and physicality for that level of football - but the only way to find out is to give him a start and see how he does.
Not 5-10 mins at the end of a game - you learn nothing.

Duine Eile

Cunningham looked lively when he came on last week, he deserves a chance at this stage. Don't know what to make of the inclusion of Danny Cummins, hadn't kicked a ball in over a year until last Sunday and didn't cover himself in glory. Duane at 11 is a ridiculous move, big pressure on Finnerty too, he's being thrown in the deep end. This is a day Shane Walsh needs to shine, we'll see. I'd hope we'd see Comer and Daly on the subs bench. Daly led the come back against Mayo in the FBD.