FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I'd say O'Neill can live without Tony O'Donoghue's idiotic interviews and Dunphy's rants.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2018, 11:16:56 AM
I'd say O'Neill can live without Tony O'Donoghue's idiotic interviews and Dunphy's rants.
Apart from going over the top after the Denmark game, I think asks perfectly legitimate questions. It's O'Neill who thinks he's above such questioning. He doesn't have to listen to Dunphy.

mouview

Bit surprised Stoke not (apparently) offering the job on a short-term contract to Steptoe & Son. Worth nearly anything for them to stay in the Premier league and the two speak English (O'Neill does anyway).

magpie seanie

Quote from: Esmarelda on January 12, 2018, 12:23:22 PM
Apart from going over the top after the Denmark game, I think asks perfectly legitimate questions. It's O'Neill who thinks he's above such questioning. He doesn't have to listen to Dunphy.

Dunphy makes the snowballs and O'Donoghue fires them. I think that's what's really annoying about it. After the Wales game O'Neill praised McClean up to a height. Then two minutes later that clown asked him...."tell us about this man (McClean) beside you".....idiot.

Esmarelda

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 12, 2018, 01:04:42 PM
Quote from: Esmarelda on January 12, 2018, 12:23:22 PM

Dunphy makes the snowballs and O'Donoghue fires them. I think that's what's really annoying about it. After the Wales game O'Neill praised McClean up to a height. Then two minutes later that clown asked him...."tell us about this man (McClean) beside you".....idiot.
Oh, you're taking about him asking mundane post-match questions?

He's probably afraid to ask anything else as Martin doesn't like his approach to be questioned. "Why would I tell you.....?"

magpie seanie

It's a mixture of stupidity and lack of respect.

T Fearon

Does money really matter to O'Neill and Keane given the millions they have already.

From the Bunker

Quote from: T Fearon on January 13, 2018, 12:11:21 AM
Does money really matter to O'Neill and Keane given the millions they have already.

It's all relative! Everybody has a standard!

Itchy

Time for O Neill to go. If he's looking at other jobs why keep him. He's no contract so  let him off.

Main Street

Quote from: Declan on January 12, 2018, 08:11:49 AM
Interesting to note that there's been no contract in place since the last one ran out in November but the good old FAI have been paying the management team anyway - As usual great governance from Delaney and Co
I think in this matter the FAI are doing the right thing.
Generally it is acceptable that a 2 or 3  months grace period be given to find another job
It was not known for sure that we would not qualify at any time during the qual campaign.
Had we qualified, then it would have been expected that O'Neill would lead  the team to the Finals. I don't think it would have sent out 'the right message' had O'Neill been taking interviews for a new job  before the qualifying campaign had run its course.

Regardless of whether he gets the Stoke job or not, I think the FAI should cut him (and Keane) loose.

Esmarelda

T Fearon

O Neill and Keane have turned down Stoke's offer.Still reckon they'd be away if the right offer with a long term contract came up in England.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: T Fearon on January 14, 2018, 11:46:14 PM
O Neill and Keane have turned down Stoke's offer.Still reckon they'd be away if the right offer with a long term contract came up in England.

Name a manager in the world of football who wouldn't??

magpie seanie

Quote from: StGallsGAA on January 16, 2018, 11:33:53 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 14, 2018, 11:46:14 PM

Name a manager in the world of football who wouldn't??

I think our expectations with the players we have are unrealistic. I do think the style of play could be a little better though but if O'Neill was to leave who would we get that would be better? Mick McCarthy is what you're looking at. Maybe he would do better.

seafoid

Johnny Giles on TBIG as the national mojo

https://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/john-giles-the-special-connection-between-the-irish-team-and-the-fans-has-been-broken-36500691.html

There is now a serious issue of trust between hardcore fans of the Ireland senior team and Martin O'Neill over his willingness to talk to Stoke about the job vacated by Mark Hughes and now filled by Paul Lambert.

Over his time as manager, O'Neill has often spoken of the bond he feels between the team and the fans that follow them across the world to support the players and the manager. I think that connection has been broken.

It is an important bond and one that has played a significant role in many of the great nights and indeed, some of the not so great nights down through the years.

When the wheels came off in Poland in 2012, the fans stood to a man and offered their support.

Some were just there for the event but many were hardcore supporters, people passionate about Irish football and not just the senior international team.

John Giles

January 17 2018 7:19 PM

There is now a serious issue of trust between hardcore fans of the Ireland senior team and Martin O'Neill over his willingness to talk to Stoke about the job vacated by Mark Hughes and now filled by Paul Lambert.

Over his time as manager, O'Neill has often spoken of the bond he feels between the team and the fans that follow them across the world to support the players and the manager. I think that connection has been broken.

It is an important bond and one that has played a significant role in many of the great nights and indeed, some of the not so great nights down through the years.

When the wheels came off in Poland in 2012, the fans stood to a man and offered their support.

Some were just there for the event but many were hardcore supporters, people passionate about Irish football and not just the senior international team.

When Robbie Brady scored against Italy in Lille in 2016, the relationship between players and fans, perhaps damaged by the two barren years after Euro 2012, was cemented when he ran straight to his family among the Irish fans in the corner of the stadium.

The scenes which followed had a national impact, dominating our hearts and minds for days after the event. The images showed what the team meant to ordinary people.

Back in November, when Denmark shredded O'Neill's team at the Aviva Stadium, I think many, if not all of those fans were shocked by the performance and shocked by the mistakes made on and off the pitch.

In the weeks after, people were numb and analysis difficult. The debate broadened to include all aspects of the game in Ireland and O'Neill's future as senior manager was put on the back-burner.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU