FAI...New Manager Hunt continues

Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: Itchy on March 27, 2019, 09:11:24 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2019, 08:53:09 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on March 26, 2019, 10:48:57 PM
Short memories on here.  I am glad oneill is gone but he gave us some fantastic nights and a great tournament at Euro 2016.  Just went stale at the end.
Good to see Ireland playing football alright.  Good first half and poor second but I'll take the 3 points.  Bit of time now to the next game allowing Mick to work on things.  Hopefully be able to fit Doherty in somewhere.

Agree with this. Also rushing to judgement on the back of one game isn't the wisest. I think people might be getting carried away just a little too. I thought McGoldrick was crap. Ran hard and was very honest but he botched several good positions. A non goal threat striker. Then he gets man of the match and rave reviews  :o. Surely workrate is a minimum expectation for all professionals? If Robbie came on for the last 15 minutes he'd have got a goal.

How is the name of God could you think McGoldrick was crap. Incredible. He made almost every ball stick and brought players into play brilliantly. He needed a bit more in terms of people running off him. His primary job is to hold up ball and bring others into play then get in the box afterwards. Have to say I am amazed to read what you wrote there. I thought it was as good a display from a lone Irish forward as I have seen in a long time.

Ok - maybe I overstated it and I did miss the first half hour. I thought he tried hard but was pretty average.

laoislad

Short memories on here.  I am glad oneill is gone but he gave us some fantastic nights and a great tournament at Euro 2016.  Just went stale at the end.
Good to see Ireland playing football alright.  Good first half and poor second but I'll take the 3 points.  Bit of time now to the next game allowing Mick to work on things.  Hopefully be able to fit Doherty in somewhere.

Agree with this. Also rushing to judgement on the back of one game isn't the wisest. I think people might be getting carried away just a little too. I thought McGoldrick was crap. Ran hard and was very honest but he botched several good positions. A non goal threat striker. Then he gets man of the match and rave reviews  :o. Surely workrate is a minimum expectation for all professionals? If Robbie came on for the last 15 minutes he'd have got a goal.

How is the name of God could you think McGoldrick was crap. Incredible. He made almost every ball stick and brought players into play brilliantly. He needed a bit more in terms of people running off him. His primary job is to hold up ball and bring others into play then get in the box afterwards. Have to say I am amazed to read what you wrote there. I thought it was as good a display from a lone Irish forward as I have seen in a long time.
Yeah I thought McGoldrick played very well,as did the 40,000 or more who gave him a standing ovation when he was subbed late on....
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Over the Bar

If all our forwards were that crap I'd be happy enough! ;D

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on March 27, 2019, 09:20:08 AM

Yeah I thought McGoldrick played very well,as did the 40,000 or more who gave him a standing ovation when he was subbed late on....

That's great for you and the greatest supporters in the world (excellent sponsored silences at times last night). Personally I like strikers who can score.

imtommygunn

We don't have strikers who can score. He fits the gameplan well and did his job brilliantly last night (except for that effort he made on goal lol).

AZOffaly

Jaysus Seanie, you are being very harsh on him. In the formation Ireland were playing his job was to be a target, hold up the ball, and link in with the others. He's no Harry Kane, but I thought in that role he was excellent last night.

6th sam

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 27, 2019, 11:03:49 AM
Jaysus Seanie, you are being very harsh on him. In the formation Ireland were playing his job was to be a target, hold up the ball, and link in with the others. He's no Harry Kane, but I thought in that role he was excellent last night.

Thought the overall display was excellent. Mcgoldrick played his role superbly.
Ireland tried to attack from start to finish and apart from poor crosses we created better than we've done in a lifetime. I'm
No fan of Mccarthy , due to Saipan, but he's a passionate Irishman , who has proven itself time and again to be a good manager of teams with limited resources, and his teams tend to play attractive football.
Really competitive Irish teams eg late 80s, early 90s and even 2002 had loads of Liverpool , united Chelsea, spurs, Everton players. We don't have that any more, but Mccarthy is the right man to make the best of what we have. Much as I'm no fan of the FAI, throwing tennis balls into the field distractingnplayers is inexcusable and potentially can have an effect on the outcome of the game. I only hope uefa don't view it that way and penalise the team

laoislad

The funny thing is he had no time for Robbie Keane when he was banging in loads of goals for Ireland, now he isn't happy because the players who have replaced him aren't as good as scoring goals as he was!!

magpie seanie

Quote from: laoislad on March 27, 2019, 11:25:46 AM
The funny thing is he had no time for Robbie Keane when he was banging in loads of goals for Ireland, now he isn't happy because the players who have replaced him aren't as good as scoring goals as he was!!

You love misrepresenting people.

Felt Robbie wasn't near as good as people believed, especially in later years. Decent finisher it must be said. His goalscoring record for Ireland is unlikely to be touched. That's all really.

Anyway - you've no time for one of our greatest ever players who dragged us to a World Cup because he played for an English soccer club you hate. So, glass houses, throwing stones etc....

RadioGAAGAA

We might throw some sh!t at the folks in Croke Park on here...

But they are nothing like the FAI.

The GAA has a clear means of electing (and replacing) their executive board, which in theory takes input from every club member across the country (via club representatives taking the mandate passed from club AGM through to the county AGM and from that the county delegates to Congress). Same for big decisions following the same path.

The FAI? Pfft. Who the f**k knows?

Surprised the govt (Sport Ireland) simply haven't pulled their money till the FAI executive board are elected by all registered clubs and members, and big decisions are made with a mandate of those clubs/members.
i usse an speelchekor

Jim_Murphy_74

I think Sadlier made a fair point as well last night that the fallacy that the players "are not good enough" was exposed.  We may not have brilliant players but we can do have players that can go ahead and take on the likes of Georgia.   O'Neill gave us great games against better opposition but seemed wedded to same approach even against lesser teams.   If we had played 4-4-2 last night hammering the ball long to strikers or along the wings Georgia would have passed us off the park.

It's a shame of O'Neill that the approach to lesser teams and the attitude to answering questions on this means that the good days and nights are now ignored..

/Jim.

oakleaflad

Thought Duffy was very good again last night.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 27, 2019, 11:41:55 AM
Quote from: laoislad on March 27, 2019, 11:25:46 AM

You love misrepresenting people.

Felt Robbie wasn't near as good as people believed, especially in later years. Decent finisher it must be said. His goalscoring record for Ireland is unlikely to be touched. That's all really.

Anyway - you've no time for one of our greatest ever players who dragged us to a World Cup because he played for an English soccer club you hate. So, glass houses, throwing stones etc...
I had another post up but truth be told I couldn't be bothered getting into a back and forth argument with you so I deleted it.

Ironically though Paul McGrath is one one of my favourite past footballers, pretty sure he also played for Manchester United Football Club...so maybe your theory is a little flawed but you believe whatever makes you happy.

Hardy

The kids are all right.

While I'm here, what's the tennis ball thing? Why tennis balls?

Targetman