Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: twohands!!! on July 08, 2019, 04:56:05 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 08, 2019, 04:12:26 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 08, 2019, 03:31:17 PM
So only 5 teams made it back to the "Super 8" from last year - Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Roscommon. Is there maybe only really a super 5? Or super 4 + Roscommon?

One of the arguments against the super 8s was that it would lead to the teams qualifying getting stronger and pulling away from the rest. Their have been 3 changes this year which already shows that argument to be weak.

This weekend will hopefully be very enjoyable. Fixtures like Kerry v Mayo in Killarney and Roscommon after a shock Connaught win getting a home game are the best thing about the new group stage.

2 years is a tiny sample size to be drawing any sort of conclusions in relation to this.

You are right, It is a tiny sample to be drawing any conclusions but if Roscommon can come back to the Super 8 after finding it difficult last year and improve their level of competitiveness then I think it is a good sign for the format.
That was never a square ball!!

Cunny Funt

So only 5 teams made it back to the "Super 8" from last year - Dublin, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal and Roscommon. Is there maybe only really a super 5? Or super 4 + Roscommon?

This was tweeted yesterday. The only counties who has reached the last 8 for the last 3 years in a row are Dublin,Tyrone,Kerry and Roscommon. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Redhand Santa on July 08, 2019, 05:01:10 PM
What is the story with general admission tickets to so many of these games? It seems to be the case for all super 8 games this weekend except the croke park match.

You'd think it would be a health and safety issue where there are big crowds. Take for example Killarney where over 30,000 could easily attend. The stand I'm sure only holds 7/8,000 max, you could have issues with far more than that trying to get into that side of the ground at the same time. I'm sure in both Donegal and Roscommon there will also be a good few more there than the stands will hold, though not in the same numbers as Killarney.

Is it to make a few more pounds by not having a separate terrace rate?

Yes, but they closed off the Gerry Arthur Stand in Clones at the weekend before it was anything like full -- erring on the side of caution perhaps, though it would seem to be a penny-pinching exercise.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Rudi

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 05:58:18 PM

This was tweeted yesterday. The only counties who has reached the last 8 for the last 3 years in a row are Dublin,Tyrone,Kerry and Roscommon.

The Rossies in fairness have been in tough groups. Tyrone and Dublin are the 2 best sides in the country, plus Mayo were the second best side in 2017.

Rossfan

So we're part of the "Fab 4".....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 08, 2019, 06:01:22 PM
What is the story with general admission tickets to so many of these games? It seems to be the case for all super 8 games this weekend except the croke park match.

You'd think it would be a health and safety issue where there are big crowds. Take for example Killarney where over 30,000 could easily attend. The stand I'm sure only holds 7/8,000 max, you could have issues with far more than that trying to get into that side of the ground at the same time. I'm sure in both Donegal and Roscommon there will also be a good few more there than the stands will hold, though not in the same numbers as Killarney.

Yes, but they closed off the Gerry Arthur Stand in Clones at the weekend before it was anything like full -- erring on the side of caution perhaps, though it would seem to be a penny-pinching exercise.

It was lot easier in clones because a lot of the crowd came in early as both teams involved in curtain raiser. And also seats on both sides so people didn't mind where they went. Plus 11,000 at game competed to maybe 30,000 plus in Killarney. Hard to control that kind of numbers when everyone in theory entitled to go to the stand.

thejuice

Super 8's sounds like a McDonalds meal. I like to call it the last 8 or just quarter finals instead.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Rossfan

It was used by one of the rubby codes a few years ago when they split their League into a top 8 and the rest during the season.
Some journo applied the name to our Qtr Finals when Congress passed it and we're now stuck with it.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

The Roscommon/Tyrone fixture is going to be preceeded by two other games so I'd assume that's the reason in that case.

imtommygunn

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on July 08, 2019, 04:39:16 PM
Still not convinced by Donegal. Their only win of note so far has been against an off-colour Tyrone. Would not be surprised to see Kerry and Mayo qualify from this group.

Yeah I would agree. Still a lot to prove yet though heading the right direction.

greatpoint

Quote from: Rudi on July 08, 2019, 06:15:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 08, 2019, 05:58:18 PM

The Rossies in fairness have been in tough groups. Tyrone and Dublin are the 2 best sides in the country, plus Mayo were the second best side in 2017.

It's a bit insulting to Dublin to put them on the same level as Tyrone.

meathie

What is the story with drawing in super 8s, since it seems to change all the time! Is it ten mins then 5 mins each half if still drawn then penalties?? Or is a Draw a draw? Point a piece

Ball Hopper

Quote from: meathie on July 09, 2019, 07:19:20 PM
What is the story with drawing in super 8s, since it seems to change all the time! Is it ten mins then 5 mins each half if still drawn then penalties?? Or is a Draw a draw? Point a piece

Welcome to the big time.

Point a piece for a draw in All-Ireland Quarter Final Series.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: meathie on July 09, 2019, 07:19:20 PM

One point for a draw, Kerry and Monaghan drew last year
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Ball Hopper

From the GAA website 2019 Senior Football Championship Explainer:

In the event of teams finishing on equal points in a Quarter Final Group, the tie shall be decided by the following means and in the order specified:

(i) Where two Teams only are involved - the outcome of the meeting of the two Teams in the Group

(ii) Score difference - subtracting the total Scores against from the total Scores for

(iii) Highest Total Score For

(iv) Highest Total Goals For

(v) A Play-off