Kerry v Tyrone All Ireland Semi Final 11th August 2019 - Post match analysis

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 11, 2019, 05:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: gallsman on August 11, 2019, 08:06:51 PM
Where did the 6 minutes come from?

I think every substitution is an additional 30 seconds. It was brought in as teams were just wasting out the last 5-10 minutes of the game by brining in subs.

Angelo

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 11, 2019, 08:04:52 PM
Angelo it was a foul. He dragged him back by the shoulder. I watched that and thought if I were a Tyrone fan I would be annoyed with mcgeary as he really didn't need to do that. It was simply a blatant foul and deegan can not be faulted for giving it. If a Kerry man did that on a Tyrone man at the other end and there was no free what would you say? It would be on your very subjective list is what would clearly happen and there would have been no talk of soft.

I don't disagree about the o'shea incident not being a free - though I think it should have been nothing rather than a free the other way.

My point is you could argue the McGeary one was a free or not but it's not netball, referees will generally let physical contact go and there was much, much more blatant illegitimate physical contact at the other end of the pitch on Donnelly and McShane that went unpunished for the duration of the game. In that context, Tyrone have every right to feel aggrieved. Worse happened at the other end of the pitch and nothing was given which is it irks so much. Take the 4 men hanging off McShane in the second half when he won the ball and a free out was given.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Zulu

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2019, 08:03:25 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:38:10 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2019, 07:33:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:09:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2019, 05:56:11 PM
Thought Tyrone were Deegan'd personally.  3 terrible decisions, 3 points for Kerry at the start of the second half shifted momentum towards Kerry. Really can't see Kerry getting within 7.
This, for me. He brought Kerry right into the game. Tyrone were the better team over the course of the game. That said, they failed to make it count. Harsh to point a finger at one player but McGeary totally fcuked it today.

Can't see how you come that conclusion. Better in the first half by some distance but still didn't put Kerry away. Kerry by far the better team in the second half and did put Tyrone away. The frees were soft but not frees that you haven't seen given in other games. There are very soft frees given in every game as far as I can see. I think Tyrone would be fooling themselves if they focused on the ref too much.
I watched the game.

And still came to that conclusion? Fair enough.
Absolutely. The ref dragged Kerry back into it with some terrible decisions at the start of the 2nd half. Tyrone fcuked it away at times (McGeary, in particular). They also didn't take their chances. In general though, they played the better football in the game.

My 1st post, written again, in different words.

Again, fair enough but would disagree. Kerry lost the first half but won the second half. I'm open to correction but when Tyrone were on top in the first half they didn't have many wides. Kerry missed more in the first half albeit due to good Tyrone defending in many cases. There were definitely some poor decisions by the ref and it certainly helped Kerry but I don't think Tyrone were in any way the better team. Kerry played them poorly in the first half and Tyrone couldn't make enough of it. Once Kerry sorted themselves out and made adjustments they pulled away and won fairly comfortably.

No offence but i hate that type of comment when a team wins a contest by just 1 score.

I thought Kerry were fairly comfortable winners in the end. I appreciate there was just the one score in it but Kerry won the second half by 7 and I didn't think Kerry were under any real pressure in the last 20 minutes.

That all important goal that gave them the lead played a huge part in winning the 2nd half by 7 points. Kerry were lucky they didn't find themselves further than 4 point behind at half time.

Can't be comfortable winning by just 1 score. Tyrone had a few half chances for goals 2nd half and as we seen with Kerry v Monaghan last year a goal with the last play of the game can grab a draw.

All true enough but I don't agree a one score win can't be comfortable. Yes, you can get caught if only a score up but you can win some games more comfortably than the scoreline suggests. Dubs All Ireland win last year and Kerry's win today are two examples for me.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on August 11, 2019, 08:11:16 PM
Angelo it was a foul. He dragged him back by the shoulder. I watched that and thought if I were a Tyrone fan I would be annoyed with mcgeary as he really didn't need to do that. It was simply a blatant foul and deegan can not be faulted for giving it. If a Kerry man did that on a Tyrone man at the other end and there was no free what would you say? It would be on your very subjective list is what would clearly happen and there would have been no talk of soft.

I don't disagree about the o'shea incident not being a free - though I think it should have been nothing rather than a free the other way.

My point is you could argue the McGeary one was a free or not but it's not netball, referees will generally let physical contact go and there was much, much more blatant illegitimate physical contact at the other end of the pitch on Donnelly and McShane that went unpunished for the duration of the game. In that context, Tyrone have every right to feel aggrieved. Worse happened at the other end of the pitch and nothing was given which is it irks so much. Take the 4 men hanging off McShane in the second half when he won the ball and a free out was given.

There's a difference between physical contact and actually dragging someone back

omaghjoe

Thought Tyrone were Deegan'd personally.  3 terrible decisions, 3 points for Kerry at the start of the second half shifted momentum towards Kerry. Really can't see Kerry getting within 7.
This, for me. He brought Kerry right into the game. Tyrone were the better team over the course of the game. That said, they failed to make it count. Harsh to point a finger at one player but McGeary totally fcuked it today.

He did and he often does. He has great energy but he is a liability

omaghjoe

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on August 11, 2019, 05:46:47 PM
OK - to summarise, Kerry people reckon they are back on track, Tyrone people blaming the referee and neutrals calling for 5 more years for Mickey Harte.

One Tyrone poster can't deal with it, lift the ball and stamps off home, locking the thread before leaving.

Continue discussion....

You forgot to mention how the in breds and buckie brigades think theyve won the AI

reddgnhand

Quote from: Erne Man on August 11, 2019, 07:59:15 PM
I didn't think Deegan significantly influenced the outcome - as soon as you drop an arm across the shoulder you leave yourself open to being penalised
. Tyrone's inability to create any goal scoring opportunities in the 1st half when well on top was the real reason they lost - the amount of possession  McShane and Donnelly had inside, and not even a half chance created. The regression in Niall Sludden and Peter Harte has made them peripheral in big games - Harte was getting plenty of attention but he should have enough experience and quality to buy himself some attention from the ref.
The lack of quality from the 2015 u 21 team is another factor - McGeary, Burns and Meyler whilst fine athletes, are not top level players and their lack of composure in possession leads to cheap giveaways in big matches they play in.
Will be interesting if the pressure on Harte to step aside grows over the winter - would Tyrone fans countenance Malachy O'Rourke as a replacement?
I certainly would. Sick of Harte.

trailer

Quote from: omaghjoe on August 11, 2019, 08:15:29 PM

[/quote

Mickey on sideline lost the game. Peter Harte should've been hauled off. McGeary shouldn't have started. Too many top forwards not developed or utilised. Harte must go. We haven't won a big game against significant since 08.

Throw ball

Never been a great fan of this current Tyrone team as I think they have flattered to deceive over the last few years with their superior athleticism and method of play carrying them through on many occasions. Definitely a case of the sum being greater than its parts. With Donnelly leaving will Tyrone fall back? Will Cavanagh quit? Apart from Donnelly , Harte and McShane who are their quality players ? Will Harte continue with tactics which support athleticism over skill ?

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 08:13:53 PM

There's a difference between physical contact and actually dragging someone back

There's no difference between illegitimate physical contact and illegitimate physical contact.

tonto1888

Seems a lot of modern players are athletes first and players second

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on August 11, 2019, 08:21:35 PM

There's no difference between illegitimate physical contact and illegitimate physical contact.

I'm gonna stop now. You lost a semi final today and it's a hard one to take. We have different opinions on certain aspects of it. Losing semi finals hurts. 2005 still rankles with me and always will I think. At least with you guys you will be back and hopefully learn from the mistakes you made today. It will be a long time before we see another semi final

imtommygunn

Angelo my point is that you couldn't argue whether it was a free or not and if you do argue it either your objectivity, or understanding of the game, has to be questioned!

APM

Quote from: trailer on August 11, 2019, 08:20:10 PM

[/quote

Mickey on sideline lost the game. Peter Harte should've been hauled off. McGeary shouldn't have started. Too many top forwards not developed or utilised. Harte must go. We haven't won a big game against significant since 08.

I think you will keep him on for another couple of years.  When he goes there is serious potential for a long and painful transition a la Meath after Boylan, Kerry after O'Dwyer and Down after McGrath. 

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 08:24:22 PM

I'm gonna stop now. You lost a semi final today and it's a hard one to take. We have different opinions on certain aspects of it. Losing semi finals hurts. 2005 still rankles with me and always will I think. At least with you guys you will be back and hopefully learn from the mistakes you made today. It will be a long time before we see another semi final

You're talking out your arse though. The point on McGeary is that in the context of the game and what was been let go consistently at the other end of the pitch is that Tyrone have every right to feel aggrieved at the kind of free that was awarded against McGeary. There were more obvious fouls and more illegitimate physical contact on Tyrone players in the opposing half that were not called on a consistent basis in that game.