The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beer baron

Can anyone find a link to the phoenix open?

Groucho

I like to see the fairways more narrow, then everyone would have to play from the rough, not just me

beer baron

Sound job-if it finishes now i'm happy enough  :P only  a few days to hang on for overtan at 66's! :P

The Real Laoislad

Anyone recommend good golf courses near Belfast? within a 30min drive say.
Group of us heading up sometime in May for a weekend for beer,skirt and Golf..in that order.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 05, 2011, 04:23:53 PM
for a weekend for beer,skirt and Golf..in that order.

You are married now, golf is out.
MWWSI 2017

thewobbler

Laoislad, if you're looking to play of the Saturday morning, you won't get anywhere much in the Belfast area; members dominate.

Sunday's better - the good living folk don't tend to play golf then. Saturday afternoons are normally okay with enough notice.

A quick rundown:

Malone: Brilliant, very mature parkland course. Snobby members who will make you unwelcome. About £70 green fees. 3-4 miles from Belfast City Centre.

Belvoir Park: Excellent, very mature parkland course. Proper old style parkland golf. Green fees are about £65, but I've found on a Saturday afternoon, they run specials at half price. It's only about 2 miles from Belfast City Centre. Wonderful clubhouse.

Lisburn: Fine parkland track, again very mature. About 10 miles from Belfast City Centre, so a bit out of the way. £50 green fee.

Dunmurry: Very decent parkland course, about 5 miles from Belfast City Centre. It's a bit snobby and jumped up, but a very decent walk. About £45 green fee.

Knock: Mature, undulating parkland course that requires you to be long off the tee. About 4 miles out from city centre. About £40 green fee.

Shandon Park: Something similat to Knock except a liitle shorter and has a couple of markedly poor holes.

Balmoral: A decent course only 2 miles from Belfast Centre.  Some people drool about it, I found it a tad flat and uninspiring.

Avoid Ormeau, Aberdalghy, Castlereagh or Colin Valley.

If you can get a decent green fee on Belvoir, I'd recommend it the most. As well as quality of course, it's handy from the City and the kind of place you could dump your car for the night, and get a taxi back into town (and out the next morning) after sampling a few pints for about £7.

The Real Laoislad

Cheers Wobbler I will look into those thanks
You'll Never Walk Alone.

leaveherinsir

I see Sergio is leading by two out in Dubai early in the third round. Would be great to see him get back up as one of the world's best again.
Just the best ball striker around for many a year, but could'nt get it in the hole when it mattered.
And Rory and Woods are droppin shots by the looks of it.

stephenite

Big fan of Sergio, would be great to see him win again

gerry

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

stephenite

Hansen eagles to join Quiros on -11. That was the 5th ace of the tournament

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thewobbler on February 05, 2011, 05:18:48 PM
Laoislad, if you're looking to play of the Saturday morning, you won't get anywhere much in the Belfast area; members dominate.

Sunday's better - the good living folk don't tend to play golf then. Saturday afternoons are normally okay with enough notice.

A quick rundown:

Malone: Brilliant, very mature parkland course. Snobby members who will make you unwelcome. About £70 green fees. 3-4 miles from Belfast City Centre.

Belvoir Park: Excellent, very mature parkland course. Proper old style parkland golf. Green fees are about £65, but I've found on a Saturday afternoon, they run specials at half price. It's only about 2 miles from Belfast City Centre. Wonderful clubhouse.

Lisburn: Fine parkland track, again very mature. About 10 miles from Belfast City Centre, so a bit out of the way. £50 green fee.

Dunmurry: Very decent parkland course, about 5 miles from Belfast City Centre. It's a bit snobby and jumped up, but a very decent walk. About £45 green fee.

Knock: Mature, undulating parkland course that requires you to be long off the tee. About 4 miles out from city centre. About £40 green fee.

Shandon Park: Something similat to Knock except a liitle shorter and has a couple of markedly poor holes.

Balmoral: A decent course only 2 miles from Belfast Centre.  Some people drool about it, I found it a tad flat and uninspiring.

Avoid Ormeau, Aberdalghy, Castlereagh or Colin Valley.

If you can get a decent green fee on Belvoir, I'd recommend it the most. As well as quality of course, it's handy from the City and the kind of place you could dump your car for the night, and get a taxi back into town (and out the next morning) after sampling a few pints for about £7.
Pints have got dear in Belfast since I was last there...

Read that wrong - taxi both ways and pints all in for 7 quid. Bargain!

gerrykeegan

Anyone see woods spitting on the green, ignorant f**ker, just cause he made a mess of a putt. The commentator from sky went nuts
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

stew

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 13, 2011, 01:44:49 PM
Anyone see woods spitting on the green, ignorant f**ker, just cause he made a mess of a putt. The commentator from sky went nuts

Woods and Mickelson are said to be the two most arrogant hoors on the tour.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bud Wiser

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on February 05, 2011, 04:23:53 PM
Anyone recommend good golf courses near Belfast? within a 30min drive say.
Group of us heading up sometime in May for a weekend for beer,skirt and Golf..in that order.

I take it you wont be able to make it to the GAA Discussion Board outing then?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"