The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magickingdom

shane lowry had a best of the irish 2 under par 69 today in the french open (tied 32nd). started poorly on the 10th tee to do the back 9 in 3 over but did the front 9 in a super 31 - 5 under. great chance of making his first professional cut tomorrow

mackers

Quote from: thewobbler on June 28, 2009, 09:19:19 PM
I played Concra Wood, a new Championship course in Castleblaney, on Saturday, It's majestic - one of the best courses I ever stood on. Hard to believe a course so young could be in such great condition.
Great course, wobbler, bit of a slog though, very long and hilly. I've been unlucky to play it twice in high winds, it's very exposed. But the layout is exceptional and the greens top class.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

anportmorforjfc

Where is the open this year?

mackers

Turnberry, see Stena Line are running day trips to it...........I went the year it was in Troon great day out..........
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: magickingdom on July 02, 2009, 07:18:24 PM
shane lowry had a best of the irish 2 under par 69 today in the french open (tied 32nd). started poorly on the 10th tee to do the back 9 in 3 over but did the front 9 in a super 31 - 5 under. great chance of making his first professional cut tomorrow

Looks like he has made his first cut!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

corn02

Quote from: gerrykeegan on July 03, 2009, 04:03:50 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on July 02, 2009, 07:18:24 PM

Looks like he has made his first cut!

-1 I see, fair play, I said at the time that missing the few cuts could be a blessing. Anticipation dropped, he can now work his game out. His confidence will be sky-high now, are all who make the cut guaranteed money?

gerrykeegan

Top 70 (which I assume is the cut line) all get, money 7k for 70th place

His current place would earn him about 28K

magickingdom

some achievement by shane lowry, delighted for him. justin rose missed something like 22 cuts when he first turned pro

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

magickingdom

shane lowry tied 40 - first cheque e18k. good for him

magickingdom

from todays irish times.....
i knew monty had a rant at a sky sports cameraman earlier this year and now poulter joins the thick ignorant club. i love the 'hes trying to mess with our livelihoods' line

Poulter blames photographer

A FUMING Ian Poulter finished the French Open in third place yesterday and said he would not be returning to the event next year – all because of the actions of a press photographer.

Poulter was still challenging for the title when he pushed his approach to the 15th into the water.

He blamed that on a camera clicking three times 25 yards away as he was swinging and was still furious when he also bogeyed the last.

"It's frustrating when you get a novice cameraman out here this week," he said.

"It spoils the day, spoils the tournament.

"It's one I want to win and some stupid cameraman makes it difficult for you.

"It's a good tournament, but I won't be back next year.

"He's trying to mess with our livelihoods. I'm playing for world ranking points and then you get some idiot. I've played here loads of times and I fight with them every year.

"It's so frustrating that they are let in. The spectators were magnificent, awesome and he ruins the whole week.

"What are you going to do? I'm going to take the tournament off my schedule."

scud

Howyis lads....

Thinkin' of takin up the old golf and lookin for some pointers! I've played a few times now and again but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a set of clubs. Basically I'm starting from zero, total beginner!

Advice like what sort of clubs to look at, whether to go for lessons straight away or try to get a feel for it first etc would be welcome. Theres a club not too far away from me doin new membership for £200 with free lessons one evening a week but not sure if its worth paying that yet.

Cheers

gerrykeegan

Iif you can get the lessons first, you need to get the correct stance, grip and setup at the start, often peoplems problems come from their basic setup been wrong. Its hard to change them later on. Get cavity back cheap clubs that you willl play with for 1 to 2 years. 

flantheman82

hi, i was just wondering does anybody know of a place where you can buy golf clubs and pay them off monthly?
Would love to buy a half decent set but can't justify paying over £200 in one go to the missus.
At the minute, i'm using a medley of clubs purchased off ebay and think they're doing my game no good and want to get my handicap down from 23.

heganboy

Quote from: scud on July 07, 2009, 09:54:57 AM

Thinkin' of takin up the old golf and lookin for some pointers! I've played a few times now and again but I'm thinking of taking the plunge and buying a set of clubs. Basically I'm starting from zero, total beginner!

this is one of the best ways to start ! no error correction required, lessons with a pro first- try one lesson instead of booking a raft upfront, that way if you dont like the guy you're not hosed. Important to get guidance on your clubs, off the shelf clubs only fit about two thirds of golfers and if the clubs dont fit- your swing is hosed, so hold off on buying clubs just yet (learned that the hard way).

as per gerry- cavity backed clubs could take you from a beginner down to a single figure handicap then you would need something with a bit more feel in the club, but don't buy the top end stuff up front, it'll break your heart if your swing is even a fraction off (learned that the hard way too)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity