The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

Unlucky from Maybin, but a great start this last two weeks to his career.

He would have been dissapointed not to have got that bunker shot on 18 a couple of feet closer which would have secured the title.

Tankie

He was unlucky to miss that put on the 18th to win it out-right!
Grand Slam Saturday!

corn02

I'm sure we would all love this:

Golf legend Seve Ballesteros has targeted the European captaincy at the 2010 Royal Trophy, his nephew revealed.
Ballesteros, 51, winner of five major titles, is recovering following several operations to remove a brain tumour.
Nephew Ivan Ballesteros, who drove him to hospital when he collapsed at Madrid airport in October, said the weeks that followed were like a "horrible dream".
But he added: "He's very positive, one of his goals is to be captain at the Royal Trophy, he's serious about it."
Ballesteros, who is undergoing chemotherapy as an outpatient in his native northern Spain, captained Europe to victory over Asia in the first two years of the Royal Trophy from 2006.
He has also captained Europe on three occasions, winning once, in the bi-annual tournament named in his honour, The Seve Trophy, against Great Britain and Ireland.
Arguably his most famous captaincy reign, however, came at the 1997 Ryder Cup at Valderrama, when Europe beat the United States 14½-13½
His nephew Ivan admitted the weeks after his uncle's condition was diagnosed and he was described as "gravely ill" were unbearable.
"We all thought it was a nightmare," he said. "The worst was the third operation, we really didn't know if he would make it. It was like heads or tails."
Before his illness worsened, Seve began a career on the Champions Tour, the senior tour in America, but played in only one event where he finished joint last, before announcing his retirement from golf whilst at the 2007 Open at Carnoustie.
His nephew said: "It's still too early to tell if he will play again but he's walking every day and he's determined to get better."

The Real Laoislad

Montgomerie to captain 2010 Europe Ryder Cup team

Scotland's Colin Montgomerie was named here on Wednesday to captain the European team to contest the Ryder Cup against the United States at Celtic Manor in Wales next year. Skip related content
Related photos / videos Enlarge photo Montgomerie replaces Nick Faldo who came in for a barrage of criticism for his captaincy during the European loss to the United States in Louisville, Kentucky last September.

That defeat ended a run of three consecutive European wins and led to calls for the naming of a younger skipper than Faldo who was 51 at the time.

Montgomerie told a press conference here: "I will do everything I can do to claim back the Ryder Cup in 2010.

"With the wealth of talent on the European Tour we could field three teams almost as strong as each other."

Montgomery made his Ryder Cup debut as a player in 1991, and he recalled: "I dreamt one day this opportunity might come my way, but they were far off dreams - now, 17 or 18 years later and here it is."

The 45-year-old Montgomerie is the second most successful European Ryder Cup golfer of all time and he said he expected another hugely popular Ryder Cup figure Jose Maria Olazabal to be alongside him as part of his background staff in October 2010.

"I have an understanding and respect for Olazabal, and I'm sure he will be part of my team at Celtic Manor."

The Americans have already named Corey Pavin to be their captain next year replacing the victorious Paul Azinger
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Orior

McIlroy playing a blinder in the desert

Leader Board
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

DrinkingHarp

Anyone watching the FBR Open (Phoenix Open) in Scottsdale AZ?

That 16th hole is like a scene from Happy Gilmore, the more I watch the interaction between the fans and the players the more I like it. The fans let you know immediately if you had a good shot or not. 
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on January 29, 2009, 10:43:34 AM
McIlroy playing a blinder in the desert

Leader Board
He's 6 clear after four holes on the final day. Surely this is gonna be his first tour victory!

venter

After a few dodgy holes, Mcilroy is 4 clear now after birdieing the 9th. He might still be a small bit nervous after the european masters disaster.

He has some swing of a golf glub. He's a massive hitter and brilliant with the irons. A win today could really boost his confidence and make him a danger in every tournament. Cant wait to see how he gets on in the masters. Class act

Tony Baloney

It'll be some blow if he doesn't go on and win this. Hope he holds it together down the back 9.

What's the lift for the winner?

venter

Mcilroy is coasting now. 3 birdies in a row

venter

He'll win about €320K. that would send him fairly close to the top of the Race to Dubai leaderboard. Garcia is well ahead on that.

corn02

You jinxed him, he is choking beyond belief.

5 ahead with four to go, or vice versa, going down the last just one ahead.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: corn02 on February 01, 2009, 12:41:04 PM
You jinxed him, he is choking beyond belief.

5 ahead with four to go, or vice versa, going down the last just one ahead.

Fermanaghandsam

He wins, great result!!!!!!!!!!!

corn02

Superb, made a hash on the 18th but the bunker shot was played with finese, excellent.

Lose and the choker tag unfortunately goes on his shoulders, he sinks it, first win of many.