Lee Keegan - Player of the year or spoiler of the year?

Started by Fuzzman, May 09, 2017, 03:31:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maigheo

Well said Tommygunn.An absolutely stupid thread with only one agenda

Beffs

LOL

Keegan won Footballer of The Year.

That hardly makes him a "victim".

Ok, so he got a black card in the AI final. That bellend Connolly has dozens of black cards. And red cards. And yellow cards. At least that's what it seems like sometimes. Is he a victim too?

Syferus

I don't usually buy the conspiracy stuff but it was blindingly obvious that Dublin as a county used their media connections to target Keegan and try to influence the ref before the AI final replay.

For a county with every advantage under the Sun to be so unconfident in their own ability to win that they'd do that reflects very poorly on them. It should be very easy to be the bigger man when you're from Dublin in this era of money doping.

Buttofthehill

Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2017, 01:11:52 AM
I don't usually buy the conspiracy stuff but it was blindly obvious that Dublin as  a county used their media connections to target Keegan and try to influence the ref before the AI final replay.

For a county with every advantage under the Sun to be so unconfident in their own ability to win that they'd do that reflects very poorly on them. It should be very easy to be the bigger man when you're from Dublin in this era of money doping.

But sure if that's the case Kerry constantly do it and Horan did it in 2012. There's plenty of other examples too. I'm surprised it took Jim Gavin so long to join the crowd.

Fuzzman

Quote from: criostlinn on May 14, 2017, 08:12:16 PM
Funny thing about it is even the rte cameras are ignoring Keegans carry on. Don't remember any footage over the last few years showing the behaviour you say Keegan is at. Connolly on the other hand....

Very interesting. So you say you've saw the Connolly's stuff but nothing on Keegan.
Are you saying this is all made up then and Keegan has done nothing wrong?

My reason for "picking" on Keegan as opposed to either of the McMahons or J.Cooper was that they are not winning player of the year and Lee Keegan did. Philly McMahon was close to winning player of the year a few years back but most people thought he wouldn't get it because of his dirty play.

Sean Cavanagh did ONE tackle on McManus a few years ago and thanks to Brolly it will probably be the main thing Sean will be remembered for. If Keegan played for Tyrone Brolly would give him a much harder time. Look how much flack Justin McMahon took for similar tactics on Michael Murphy in one game.

Yet Lee Keegan seems to continually foul Connolly and others in this way for years now and everyone seems to be turning a blind eye to it. I just can't really understand it but hey, sure it gives us all something to look forward to I suppose this year again.  ;D

mayoaremagic

Keegan plays football the right way. Good old honest man marking and can take a score or two. He was harshly treated. The Dublin County board should have issued a apology to Keegan and Mayo for their media campaign. Cost us an All Ireland but sure we wont complain and just get on with things!

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Buttofthehill on May 15, 2017, 08:54:02 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 15, 2017, 01:11:52 AM
I don't usually buy the conspiracy stuff but it was blindly obvious that Dublin as  a county used their media connections to target Keegan and try to influence the ref before the AI final replay.

But sure if that's the case Kerry constantly do it and Horan did it in 2012. There's plenty of other examples too. I'm surprised it took Jim Gavin so long to join the crowd.

??

Horan spoke the truth

mayoaremagic

Quote from: MayoBuck on May 13, 2017, 02:35:44 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on May 12, 2017, 04:57:49 PM
Unreal Kickham, just unreal.
That explains the problem in a nutshell that the officials are happy to stand by and let our best players be prevented from playing the game just because they won't apply the rules properly.

Yet so many on here don't want to seem to address the problem or even admit there is a problem.

If you really wanted an objective debate on cleaning up our game, you wouldn't have titled the thread as you did.

Why don't we also talk about the verbal sledging that certain players/teams are very proficient in. The aim of that is to get a reaction from your marker so it's no different. Referees never punish sledging. Keegan doesn't get involved in this.

There are also several players out there very fond of the closed fist tackle or have been involved in other nasty late hits and have never been punished accordingly. Keegan has never been involved in any act of serious foul play.

+1

Fuzzman

Mayomagic, watch the video below and tell me if this is good old fashioned man marking

Pause it at exactly 6 seconds in and look right in the centre of your screen at Keegan's arms around Connolly to stop joining in on the attack. He then throws him down to the ground with the ref looking towards that direction.
on 9 seconds you can see Connolly gets up quickly and is looking for a pass into the space ahead of him but again Keegan has his arms around him so Connolly reacts by pushing him down to the ground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seybUwCI1u0

I will be very impressed if any of ye Mayo lads can admit that was an example of what Keegan does at times to stop his man and that it's not in the spirit of the game.
Dublin's Cooper and McMahon do loads of worse things at times I agree but I'm not talking about that on this thread I'm discussing Keegan and what he gets up to and how it tends to go unpunished.

Why would the Dublin panel and ex players not discuss it before the panel if they can see it going on. If some player is using unfair methods then he's leaving himself open to criticism is he not?

From the Bunker

Fuzzman has a gripe with Mayo and rightly so. Their have curtailed passages in the Championship for Tyrone in 2013 and 2016. Last years defeat really hurt as Tyrone went in with a lot of hype especially from Uncle Peter. A Tyrone team with 3 weeks preparation to the Quarter finals as opposed to a declining  Mayo having a week, told it's own story. Mayo in 2013 and 2015 played Donegal with a similar preparation time scale and on both occasions Donegal were well below Par.

mayoaremagic

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 15, 2017, 12:45:21 PM
Mayomagic, watch the video below and tell me if this is good old fashioned man marking

Pause it at exactly 6 seconds in and look right in the centre of your screen at Keegan's arms around Connolly to stop joining in on the attack. He then throws him down to the ground with the ref looking towards that direction.
on 9 seconds you can see Connolly gets up quickly and is looking for a pass into the space ahead of him but again Keegan has his arms around him so Connolly reacts by pushing him down to the ground.

I will be very impressed if any of ye Mayo lads can admit that was an example of what Keegan does at times to stop his man and that it's not in the spirit of the game.
Dublin's Cooper and McMahon do loads of worse things at times I agree but I'm not talking about that on this thread I'm discussing Keegan and what he gets up to and how it tends to go unpunished.

Why would the Dublin panel and ex players not discuss it before the panel if they can see it going on. If some player is using unfair methods then he's leaving himself open to criticism is he not?

Connolly dived. Simple as

whitey

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 15, 2017, 12:45:21 PM

Fair enough, but following that logic ex Mayo players should be given equal airtime to  highlight eye gouging, biting and other dangerous and unsportsmanlike behavior from certain Dublin players

Fuzzman

Totally agree Whitey and as a Tyrone man living in Dublin I know exactly how the bias can be.
At least your lot are doing interviews with RTE but Tyrone won't engage with RTE at all and so Brolly and Co can say what they like with no-one to pick them up.
I like Whelan on TSG as he's one of the few who is able to stand up to Brolly but he's also awfully biased and won't say too much to hurt the Dubs.

Philly McMahon is the one that bothers me the most on the Dublin team with the antics he has done and got away with. The eye gouge he did on Donaghy was amazing he didn't get a lengthy ban for that.

From the Bunker has nailed it on the head that I've got an axe to grind with Mayo after they used foul methods to deny my beloved Tyrone a day in the limelight v Dublin in the final. Had Keegan played in his usual half back role and not been holding Cavanagh all first half then we would have won.
So to see him then get  away with it again v poor Dublin, who we know are the new saviours of football  :o was too much for me to take.
I've been around long enough to know that every successful team needs a tough/dirty spoiler type player or two but what comes with that is a bad reputation and a lot of people disliking you see Ricey and McGee threads, NOT player of the year awards.
I've no problem with Lee Keegan doing what he does as long as he gets his punishment when he's caught. For me that is not happening and so we'll see more of it again this year no doubt.

whitey

I spoke to three people who were sitting behind the goal where the wrestling occurred at the beginning of the second half....all three said that the incident started when Cavanagh shouldered Keegan in the back and sent him flying....did that actually happen? If it did, then imho he deserved the first black....they both did

If you're on a yellow (for an incident you possibly instigated yourself), and then decide to clothesline someone in front of the referee you have no business going crying to the newspapers about how you were man marked.

JoG2

Quote from: Fuzzman on May 15, 2017, 01:40:41 PM

From the Bunker has nailed it on the head that I've got an axe to grind with Mayo after they used foul methods to deny my beloved Tyrone a day in the limelight v Dublin in the final. Had Keegan played in his usual half back role and not been holding Cavanagh all first half then we would have won.
So to see him then get  away with it again v poor Dublin, who we know are the new saviours of football  :o was too much for me to take.
I've been around long enough to know that every successful team needs a tough/dirty spoiler type player or two but what comes with that is a bad reputation and a lot of people disliking you see Ricey and McGee threads, NOT player of the year awards.
I've no problem with Lee Keegan doing what he does as long as he gets his punishment when he's caught. For me that is not happening and so we'll see more of it again this year no doubt.

You've been round long enough to predict the outcome of games depending on what a certain player will bring to the game on a given day? Impressive

Coulda woulda shoulda