Donegal vs Monaghan 08/03/2015

Started by charlie linkbox, March 03, 2015, 12:38:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie linkbox

It doesn't get any easier for Monaghan this Sunday with a trip to Donegal and a team bus only half full of available players!

I think two wins will be needed to stay up and, assuming we'll get nothing from Kerry and Dublin, that leaves the Donegal and Derry games as "must wins".

With Colin Walshe, Eoin Lennon and Jack McCarron long term injured, Kieran Duffy taken off injured last Sunday, Stephen Gollogly and Ryan Wylie suspended, no sign of Gavin Doogan, Chris McGuinness or Paudie McKenna so far this year (injured too?) and doubts over the fitness of Conor McManus and Darren Hughes, the prospects look bleak.

Any optimists out there want to chip in with a few positive comments?

armaghniac

One positive is that with Armagh and Fermanagh leading Div 3, Monaghan fans won't have to travel far for their Div 2 games next year.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

twohands!!!

Quote from: charlie linkbox on March 03, 2015, 12:38:18 PM
It doesn't get any easier for Monaghan this Sunday with a trip to Donegal and a team bus only half full of available players!

I think two wins will be needed to stay up and, assuming we'll get nothing from Kerry and Dublin, that leaves the Donegal and Derry games as "must wins".

With Colin Walshe, Eoin Lennon and Jack McCarron long term injured, Kieran Duffy taken off injured last Sunday, Stephen Gollogly and Ryan Wylie suspended, no sign of Gavin Doogan, Chris McGuinness or Paudie McKenna so far this year (injured too?) and doubts over the fitness of Conor McManus and Darren Hughes, the prospects look bleak.

With all those lads missing Monaghan will be able to develop their squad depth for the future a bit by giving fringe players/youngsters playing time in Division 1 - might be a while before ye see the benefit of it though.

On the positive side a serious number of the players listed are likely to be back in action by the time the championship rolls around - Cavan game is something like 11/12/13 weeks off at this stage.

Colin Walshe
Eoin Lennon
Jack McCarron
Kieran Duffy
Stephen Gollogly
Ryan Wylie
Gavin Doogan
Chris McGuinness
Paudie McKenna
Conor McManus
Darren Hughes

Are any of those doubtful for the Cavan game ? i.e what's the story with the long-term injuries & lads who havent featured in the league yet?

J70

f**k it, its Monaghan against Donegal.  Monaghan ALWAYS have a chance! Although at least we finally manned up and beat yez in the Ulster final last year.

Ballybofey or Letterkenny?

Win this and we should be safe. If that happens,  hopefully Rory would rest some of the auld timers in subsequent matches.

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on March 04, 2015, 02:08:24 PMWin this and we should be safe. If that happens,  hopefully Rory would rest some of the auld timers in subsequent matches.

Rory seems to have taken a completely different tack to McGuinness as regards staying in Division 1 ; in fairness it looks very similar to the approach of the new lads in Mayo.

You can understand it really as letting the team get relegated so soon after taking over would have the critics/doubters/lads in the long grass out in force.

You'd imagine that were safety assured that the lineups would be strongly tilted in favour of starting fringe players/youngsters and resting he old reliables. Looking at it you can't help but thinking that the one of the two safe spots out of relegation and not involved in the league semis wouldnt be the worst thing in the world for Rory and Donegal - A decent rest might well be better in the long-term ahead of the Ulster campaign; especially given the age, nature of the squad and the fact that Donegal were involved in the final last year.

Being a cynical soul I could even see the wisdom in Murphy picking up another black card and getting his black card/yellow card suspension wiped clean, especially given how the route to an Ulster final looks.

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on March 03, 2015, 12:57:08 PM
One positive is that with Armagh and Fermanagh leading Div 3, Monaghan fans won't have to travel far for their Div 2 games next year.
I suppose there are not many other positives coming from knocking the lard out of the likes of Armagh these days. Perhaps to see the highlights of such a trashing on the big screen in the Athletic Grounds, if we did have to travel there? :)

Sleater

Quote from: twohands!!! on March 03, 2015, 04:46:25 PM

With all those lads missing Monaghan will be able to develop their squad depth for the future a bit by giving fringe players/youngsters playing time in Division 1 - might be a while before ye see the benefit of it though.

On the positive side a serious number of the players listed are likely to be back in action by the time the championship rolls around - Cavan game is something like 11/12/13 weeks off at this stage.

Colin Walshe
Eoin Lennon
Jack McCarron
Kieran Duffy
Stephen Gollogly
Ryan Wylie
Gavin Doogan
Chris McGuinness
Paudie McKenna
Conor McManus
Darren Hughes

Are any of those doubtful for the Cavan game ? i.e what's the story with the long-term injuries & lads who havent featured in the league yet?

Hard to know, Eoin Lennon is the most doubtful I'd say. Ankle injuries can take a long time to heal and a more prone to future weakness. Colin Walshe is already back running and probably will be seen playing with his club during April. I think the county set up will let him  get up to speed with Doohamlet before rushing him back to county action. I think McCarron should be back in time too.

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: Sleater on March 05, 2015, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: twohands!!! on March 03, 2015, 04:46:25 PM

Colin Walshe
Eoin Lennon
Jack McCarron
Kieran Duffy
Stephen Gollogly
Ryan Wylie
Gavin Doogan
Chris McGuinness
Paudie McKenna
Conor McManus
Darren Hughes

Hard to know, Eoin Lennon is the most doubtful I'd say. Ankle injuries can take a long time to heal and a more prone to future weakness. Colin Walshe is already back running and probably will be seen playing with his club during April. I think the county set up will let him  get up to speed with Doohamlet before rushing him back to county action. I think McCarron should be back in time too.

Gavin Doogan could do a job for us around mid-field, he had a good season there in 2013 and would definitely add to the weakest area of the team, currently.

I think the biggest task this week is team management and how they respond to the ill disciplined show last Sunday. We have probably our greatest squad depth in many a year (possibly ever!) so it's up to the management to get the best out of the available players. Of course we are extremely stretched and the absence of McManus, D Hughes, McCarron, Walshe etc. will cause problems but 'we are where we are' and cannot do much about it; give the younger lads their chance which can only strengthen the squad further.

Goldengreen

Quote from: J70 on March 04, 2015, 02:08:24 PM
f**k it, its Monaghan against Donegal.  Monaghan ALWAYS have a chance! Although at least we finally manned up and beat yez in the Ulster final last year.

Ballybofey or Letterkenny?

Win this and we should be safe. If that happens,  hopefully Rory would rest some of the auld timers in subsequent matches.

Letterkenny

GrandMasterFlash

Monaghan Team announced tonight:

1   Rory Beggan
2   Conor Boyle
3   Drew Wylie
4   Kieran Duffy
5   Dessie Mone
6   Fintan Kelly
7   Karl O'Connell
8   Neil McAdam
9   Darren Hughes
10   Owen Duffy
11   Dermot Malone
12   Ryan Mc Anespie
13   Paul Finlay
14   Kieran Hughes
15   Daniel McKenna

16   Enda Duffy
17   John Mc Carron
18   Paddy McGuigan
19   Vinny Corey
20   Dick Clerkin
21   Shane Carey
22   Christopher McKenna
23   Padraig Donaghy
24   Thomas Connolly
25   Thomas Kerr
26   Paul Meegan

McManus not even named on panel, doesn't sound great for him. Hopfully he gets sorted soon as we could do with him!

Bingo

McManus a big miss and seems to be paying the price for a long season and his previous hip problems. Monaghan can't really afford to do without him at this level.

Can't see that Monaghan team troubling Donegal too much but Monaghan seem to get the best out of themselves when their backs are at the wall and they are written off. They'll have plenty of spirit but not too many game changers on the bench. Thought Meegan might have got a start.

timmyot501

Kieran Duffy has recovered very fast or will there be even more changes? Karl O'Connell did alright when he came on against Mayo and ran at them. Hopefully more of that from him. Darren in from the start is a plus and we need a big match from Danial McKenna and Kieran Hughes in Conor's absence to have any hope at all.

Owen duffy was quiet in the west last sunday but hopefully with more and more game time he can get back to near the level he was at 2 years ago before his injuries.

Schkite

Haven't players come into the match-day panel at the last minute for other games recently or am I just imagining that? In which case I wouldn't rule anything out regarding Conor. Having said that, he has been suffering with the hip for a long time now, and if sitting out these games now means that he'll be right for Cavan in the summer, then so be it. It's very unfortunate that when he's missing the likes of McGuinness and McCarron are out too, who would've been good options to fill in. If nothing else it's valuable experience for the likes of McAnespie and McKenna, but they'll have to take on more scoring responsibility now, as will more experienced players like Finlay and Hughes obviously.

If 6 points are what's needed to stay up, and if we take Derry at home as a must win and the fact that Kerry and Dublin will be very tough, this one is looking like a crunch game for our survival. Although Donegal will always be tough, I'd have been reasonably confident if we'd a full team out, but we're down serious numbers in all areas of the pitch. Hopefully we'll see a response to the awful showing against Mayo and it's a chance for some of the fringe players to stake a claim when others are missing.

J70

Quote from: Bingo on March 06, 2015, 09:39:38 AM
McManus a big miss and seems to be paying the price for a long season and his previous hip problems. Monaghan can't really afford to do without him at this level.

Can't see that Monaghan team troubling Donegal too much but Monaghan seem to get the best out of themselves when their backs are at the wall and they are written off. They'll have plenty of spirit but not too many game changers on the bench. Thought Meegan might have got a start.

Doesn't look THAT weak of a team. Plenty of well known names.

Bingo

Quote from: J70 on March 06, 2015, 05:42:16 PM
Quote from: Bingo on March 06, 2015, 09:39:38 AM

Doesn't look THAT weak of a team. Plenty of well known names.

Missing McManus, Ryan Wylie, Stephen Gollogy, Colin Walshe, Chrissie McGuinness, Paudie McKenna, Dick Clerkin and Vinny Corey who all started regularly last year. Fitness doubts over Darren Hughes and Kieran Duffy.

Compared to a very strong looking Donegal team, I'd consider it weak.