What's the worst and best job you've ever had?

Started by pintsofguinness, February 26, 2008, 06:30:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryColemansLeftPeg

Working in the Law Library in Queens in 06.  Few dickheads swanning about there, treating you like shite and you in their class.

David McKeown

I have enjoyed all the jobs ive ever had but if i had to rank them I would say

1. Network Engineer/ Sys Admin for three and half years

2. Bookie for a summer

3.  Barman for a year or so

4.  Beta Tester (Computer Games)

Really looking forward to the new career this time next year, although I would be happy to be allowed to do any type of work at the minute
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

saffron sam2

Quote from: ONeill on February 26, 2008, 08:25:07 PM
Can't say I've ever had a job I didn't like - strawberry collectin & snuffin, turf stoolin, strippin, paintin, diggin, sitework, dogsbody, telesales, mystery shoppin, writin - don't think i'd ever stay in a job for more than a day if I knew I definitely didn't like it. My present job is the bees' knees, most of the time.

Mine too, more than most of the time.

Quote from: Rois on February 26, 2008, 07:05:50 PM
Best: Sports leader at a language school for rich kids in Switzerland - the day started at 12 and involved doing mad outdoor activities in one of the most beautiful countries in Europe.

Feckin' worst job I ever had. Driving busloads of similar kids from various London airports to a language school at Strawberry Hill. None of the wee feckers had anything smaller than a £50 note. Horrible, spoilt gits (especially the Croats and Israelis). Flights landing all weekend - about 20 hours driving, greeting, packing, unpacking Saturday and Sunday. Getting home at 4:00am on the Saturday morning from the Swan in Stockwell may not have helped. Nor did listening to my fellow drivers, one from Omagh and one from Derry city.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

john mcgill

Worst, when I finished O Levels in 1970 I went to work on a building site in Birmingham.  It was a complete shock to the system living in a bed sit in Sparkhill, being called Paddy and trying to lift kerbs that seemed heavier than me.
Best job, the one I'm in now, teacher, it can be stressful but I feel that I'm making a difference.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: john mcgill on February 28, 2008, 08:10:29 AM
Worst, when I finished O Levels in 1970 I went to work on a building site in Birmingham.  It was a complete shock to the system living in a bed sit in Sparkhill, being called Paddy and trying to lift kerbs that seemed heavier than me.
Best job, the one I'm in now, teacher, it can be stressful but I feel that I'm making a difference.

John, did you ever frequent the Antelope (Nanny Goat) pub on the Stratford road in Sparkhill?  Used to stay around the corner from it years ago when I visited the relatives in Sparkhill.  Its all change now though Spakhill is nearly 100% Asian Population, most of the Irish moved out years ago.

maddog

Quote from: Doogie Browser on February 28, 2008, 10:24:54 AM
Quote from: john mcgill on February 28, 2008, 08:10:29 AM

John, did you ever frequent the Antelope (Nanny Goat) pub on the Stratford road in Sparkhill?  Used to stay around the corner from it years ago when I visited the relatives in Sparkhill.  Its all change now though Spakhill is nearly 100% Asian Population, most of the Irish moved out years ago.

As far as i know the Antelope is still open, the Bear is going strong as is the College. The Angel and the Mermaid are gone. The Mermaid you will remember is where the labourers used to queue up to see if they would get picked up for a days work. Sparkhill is some pit now. Most have moved out Hall Green / Shirley direction.

ONeill

Lived in Hall Green for a year, in the appropriately named Studland Row. Previously stayed in Acock's Green and finally Bordeseley Green near the Heartlands. Is the Poitin Stil still on the go? Loved that joint. They'd put the GAA matches on at 3, close the pub so that those inside including the bar staff would head around the back for a game of cards whilst the GAA heads drank the bar dry, re-opened at 5 to the public. Many's a day I staggered home for 6 o'clock dinner and bed for 8. What was the name of the dive with the squashy sofas and drugs/stabbings/bints galore - the Garryowen?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: ONeill on February 28, 2008, 12:06:01 PM
Lived in Hall Green for a year, in the appropriately named Studland Row. Previously stayed in Acock's Green and finally Bordeseley Green near the Heartlands. Is the Poitin Stil still on the go? Loved that joint. They'd put the GAA matches on at 3, close the pub so that those inside including the bar staff would head around the back for a game of cards whilst the GAA heads drank the bar dry, re-opened at 5 to the public. Many's a day I staggered home for 6 o'clock dinner and bed for 8. What was the name of the dive with the squashy sofas and drugs/stabbings/bints galore - the Garryowen?
The Garryowen had a boisterous clientele alright, remember going back there the night Villa beat Leeds in the 1996 Coca Cola Cup as it was the only place we would get a pint, rough spot and always a few bluenoses about it too!  Was over in January for a match and there was a good Irish crowd in Pat Kav's in Moseley, Moseley is very bohemian but a good crowd nonetheless.
Maddog you are right the family moved to Hall Green about 8/9 years ago serious movement of people at the time out of Sparkhill, one thing I remember about Sparkhill was the smell of curry at dinner time, it just wafted through the streets!

Remeber one night years ago we were down in the City and the cousin took me to a nightclub called Nosey Parkers owned by Paul Henry (aka Benny from Crossroads!!)  It was a sleazy, rough old dive and there he was in the corner, Benny!  Hat-less might I add but looked like a dirty perv!

john mcgill

Doogie
I lived in Showell Green Lane and there was an Irish club at the bottom on the Stratford Rd.  I used to go to the Mitchells Club above Burtons.  It was safe for a 16 year old. The Mermaid scared me with all the men waiting for work.  I was always warned not to go in there.   I went in the Bear once I think with one of the guys who used to work with me.  Best pie and chips I ever had was from a chippie on Showell Green Lane.  Probably a curry house now which would suit me.
I must go back and have a look around.

john mcgill

Doogie Browser

Quote from: john mcgill on February 28, 2008, 04:45:32 PM
Got nostalgic about Birmingham or maybe the pubs there and found this
http://www.virtualbrum.co.uk/images/sparkh/antelope.jpg
Fantastic John! We were like most families, all my fathers siblings left Ireland in the 50's and they all edned up in Birmingham we were the only ones to remain.  Have some great memories of the place from childhood visits, first time going down the Villa etc.  If you frequented the boozers in Sparkhill during the 70's & 80's you most certainly would have come across my relatives.

Are you still in Brum?

john mcgill

No, in Armagh via NY, San Francisco, London.  Unfortunately recent visits are for funerals.  The aunt and uncle live out in Romsley and still have a house in Dudley.

Midman

Quote from: thewingedlady on February 26, 2008, 10:53:29 PM
Worst job was filling flower pots with peat at a gardening centre near the Moy, the boss wouldnt be the nicest man around and just a lousy place to work. Think it was bout £15 a day, was only 13 or 14 like so not too bad.

Hah! Think I did my time there as well!

Worst Job was traffic surveying out in the rain with only a clicker and cars for company

Best: Barman in The Bot (ahh memories)

I have a rela job now which is good but tough!

Lecale2

Best job is the job I have now. I still find it hard to believe that they pay me to do what I do!

Worst job.
I've had a few. Gathering potatoes was hard but harvesting silver skin onions in the Netherlands was worse. You smelt of onions for a year after you left.

The worst job I ever had was as a share fisherman on a trawler in the Irish Sea. I was the cook and was sick as a dog every Monday. Can you imagine cooking a big fry for the crew while sea sick?? Hard, hard work tailling prawns and gutting fish with little or no sleep, the boat rolling all over the place & sick as a dog most of the time.

If I asked my kids to do that now they would laugh at me.