Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trueblue1234

Quote from: Redhand Santa on February 23, 2019, 09:56:53 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on February 23, 2019, 09:54:02 PM
Quote from: southtyronegael on February 23, 2019, 09:06:46 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on February 23, 2019, 08:55:49 PM
Well, feck the begrudgers, I enjoyed that tonight.
you must be a sad f**k if you enjoyed that.

Winning by 7 points against a team that beat Dublin a few weeks ago. Not bad goin.

Ah let him go. The sad git will need something to give out about until the next game. No idea how he hadn't been banned for some of the comments in recent weeks. Never mind the multiple accounts he uses to spout the same crap.
I think he was, we had peace for a week or so. His comment was as bad as one I've seen here. Should have got a perm ban for it. Disgusting comment.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Fuzzman

You can look at the table and say we only beat the bottom team so let's not get carried away but the fact was that was a relegation battle and had we not won we were under real pressure of going down.
It looked a strange team on paper but I suppose when we see how well they played it shows how adaptable some of these players are. As RH Santa said above, the other more natural forwards have been struggling to win their own ball or use it well so maybe Mickey was right to go with more "robust" players who might not have LB's silky skills but McGeary is a typical example of being able to kick a score from play when he gets the chance.
The Petey at FF experiment certainly came to fruition and before the game you would have thought against Monaghan this was not the game for him to shine there.

We were like a different team than in the other three games and whilst it is still only February, it's good to see we can move up a few gears and deliver a performance like that. Same again against Cavan will do nicely.

Great to see Skeet come back into the team again and I think Morgan has finally "grown up" and looks a lot more assured and not always an accident waiting to happen. I noticed was it the Kerry keeper was away up the pitch in their game too v Galway. The game sure has changed.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: freeout23 on February 22, 2019, 11:53:46 AM
Not a scoring forward in the 15, why they continue to play cathal mcshane at 13 and kieran mcgeary at 15 is a complete joke. meanwhile you have richard donnelly in midfield who is hardly fit to run the length of himself

A few good scores from play from cathal mcshane and kieran mcgeary . Meanwhile  richard donnelly was superb in midfield and finally good to see a man who was releasing long diagonal balls into the FFL

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 25, 2019, 09:34:48 AM
You can look at the table and say we only beat the bottom team so let's not get carried away but the fact was that was a relegation battle and had we not won we were under real pressure of going down.
It looked a strange team on paper but I suppose when we see how well they played it shows how adaptable some of these players are. As RH Santa said above, the other more natural forwards have been struggling to win their own ball or use it well so maybe Mickey was right to go with more "robust" players who might not have LB's silky skills but McGeary is a typical example of being able to kick a score from play when he gets the chance.
The Petey at FF experiment certainly came to fruition and before the game you would have thought against Monaghan this was not the game for him to shine there.

We were like a different team than in the other three games and whilst it is still only February, it's good to see we can move up a few gears and deliver a performance like that. Same again against Cavan will do nicely.

Great to see Skeet come back into the team again and I think Morgan has finally "grown up" and looks a lot more assured and not always an accident waiting to happen. I noticed was it the Kerry keeper was away up the pitch in their game too v Galway. The game sure has changed.

Saturday night was Mattie's best game in a while also. He was a great outlet for the kickpass coming out of defence and won almost every ball that went in to him. He must have set up 6 or 7 scores between winning frees and laying the ball off, while he also had a hand in the goal.

I thought it was a great display all in all but the usual caveats about February football still apply. Interesting that after Mayo lost meekly on Saturday night they are already being written off in some quarters, despite being touted as Dublins closest challengers beforehand on the back of their opening 3 wins. I think it's time people realise that none of the big teams are going full pelt at this time of year and that the quality of performances are going to vary. For all the big teams the priority is avoiding relegation and trying to improve their options ahead of championship, anything more is a bonus. `

Fuzzman

Yeah it's certainly a lot easier to watch if you have men inside that can win the ball and bring others into play like the ball into Mattie that he turned back out, laid it off to Sludden for a nice finish from the angle.
We've got two winnable games at home v Cavan and Galway and then hopefully we dont need anything from our trip to Croker on Paddy's eve though Cavan will take heart with their good win over the Rossies and Galway are always hard to break down.

Has the squad been trimmed back then? Who has gone?
What do people think of Ben O'Donnell then? Another big strong lad that can play anywhere from 5 to 12?

Is Collie C gonna sit out the whole league? Is he injured or being rested?

Puckoon

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 25, 2019, 10:46:40 AM
Yeah it's certainly a lot easier to watch if you have men inside that can win the ball and bring others into play like the ball into Mattie that he turned back out, laid it off to Sludden for a nice finish from the angle.
We've got two winnable games at home v Cavan and Galway and then hopefully we dont need anything from our trip to Croker on Paddy's eve though Cavan will take heart with their good win over the Rossies and Galway are always hard to break down.

What do people think of Ben O'Donnell then? Another big strong lad that can play anywhere from 5 to 12?

Thought he was very solid on Saturday. Little raw with his decision making when through on goal - but very solid and strong coming out with the ball.

The thing is - we could field 15 of that type of player.

GaelTheGael

Quote from: Puckoon on February 25, 2019, 08:26:44 PM

Thought he was very solid on Saturday. Little raw with his decision making when through on goal - but very solid and strong coming out with the ball.

Did well on Saturday night but I don't think he's the best option available in the squad. Thought after his performances last year, Rory Brennan would be a certain starter in the team but unused sub again on Saturday.
Tiernan Mccann was worryingly off the pace against Monaghan as well, is he just undroppable?

NotedObserver

Quote from: GaelTheGael on February 25, 2019, 09:44:30 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on February 25, 2019, 08:26:44 PM

Did well on Saturday night but I don't think he's the best option available in the squad. Thought after his performances last year, Rory Brennan would be a certain starter in the team but unused sub again on Saturday.
Tiernan Mccann was worryingly off the pace against Monaghan as well, is he just undroppable?

Agree with TMcC looking off the pace, though he looked similar when he returned from injury last year but upped it in the super 8s

delgany

Looked like TMcC was doing a tracking / Man marking job on Saturday evening. Followed his man  ..not on the ball that much

Fuzzman

Rory Brennan certainly has had an interesting time since he moved up from the U21 squad. I think he was one of the first of that U21 squad to move into senior yet he's still to really nail down a starting place.
I'd say he would really benefit from a good run of games. Meyler is another one who seems to come in and out of the team a lot. He looks to have really bulked up recently but then again they all have, even McCurry.

It's vital we beat Cavan on Sunday as Galway and Dublin will be two tough fixtures

ONeill

That was decent on Saturday. More support for ball-winning forwards. Definitely think PH is suited closer to goal, and eventually Mattie might join him.

Downside is, and it's early, can't see how we might trouble the top 2/3 sides if we meet them.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: ONeill on February 27, 2019, 12:15:47 AM
That was decent on Saturday. More support for ball-winning forwards. Definitely think PH is suited closer to goal, and eventually Mattie might join him.

Downside is, and it's early, can't see how we might trouble the top 2/3 sides if we meet them.

If you took Dublin out of the equation I think the other teams are all far from unbeatable. Kerry are a work in progress and may well push on this championship but there is no guarantee. They struggled badly last year and are relying on a lot of inexperienced players. Mayo are probably the opposite in that they are relying on players who have been there for a long time and possibly past their best. I'd give Tyrone a fair chance against both.

Crazy reading back on some of the comments from the experts on here in recent weeks basically saying Tyrone had no chance against Monaghan, half the team was useless (including Petey Harte), their were no forwards on the team and Harte didn't have a notion. Even young Ben McDonnell has been subject to some harsh comments even before he'd played because of his club. For what it's worth I thought he did fairly well on Saturday night and didn't look out of place.

I agree about Harte and Donnelly being pushed forward. Ideally you'd probably push one of them up but none of the out and out forwards are stepping up so far. The likes of Brennan can be a very good impact sub as shown v Donegal last year but I don't think he'd be as effective starting.

Fuzzman

I never take the comments of a lot of fans too seriously and that even includes older and wiser men.
I think a lot of people just react and overreact a lot to games just after they happen. Most fans tend to overstate who good the team or performance was when they win and how terrible the situation is when we lose.
I get the feeling Mickey doesn't want to show his hand too much before the summer and every year we go into the league with high hopes for them to be dashed big time. Personally though I'd say this team would benefit from winning a league and give them some belief. Getting to the final was good progress last year despite not beating Mayo or Kerry but to beat Donegal in their own back yard was a big deal.

With such an abundance of half backs and hard working half forwards maybe its time to push Mattie and Petey into the FF line come championship where both of them have played on and off before. I'd say McCurry, Skeet or Brennan would love playing alongside both or one of those two although Richie did OK in there last year too I thought.

Summer football is so different to league football and players like Brennan thrive a lot better with firmer pitches and sunny days.