'GAA Athletes for a No Vote'

Started by Jinxy, April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

Mickey Harte: voters must chose between 'culture of death and culture of life'

A group of GAA figures launched the GAA Athletes for a No Vote campaign in Dublin on Saturday. Gaelic Athletes for Life said the Government's proposals on abortion are not inclusive and "seek to exclude one group of people - the unborn - from society".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/mickey-harte-voters-must-chose-between-culture-of-death-and-culture-of-life-1.3469954

Haven't seen any promotional material yet but they should not be using the association's name at all in my opinion.
Doesn't sit well with me, regardless of which way people swing on this issue.
I wouldn't be happy if there was a 'GAA players for yes' campaign either.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Rossfan

Same here.
They are individuals and don't speak for the GAA or players of its various sports.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 21, 2018, 08:17:08 PM

A group of GAA figures launched the GAA Athletes for a No Vote campaign in Dublin on Saturday. Gaelic Athletes for Life said the Government's proposals on abortion are not inclusive and "seek to exclude one group of people - the unborn - from society".

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/mickey-harte-voters-must-chose-between-culture-of-death-and-culture-of-life-1.3469954

Haven't seen any promotional material yet but they should not be using the association's name at all in my opinion.

I don't have any issue with the idea of it. There's enough of the can't-dare-have-an-opinion-on-society stuff in American pro sports without it infecting amateur sports here too. You should be allowed to have an opinion in public on something as huge as abortion.

That said, the No side of this debate are frankly wrong and in general dehumanise women in how they campaign and use their talking points. I hope the Yes side of the GAA community mobilises itself even more forcefully and does not allow Micky Harte to have the platform to himself.

Given he's from Tyrone what does unsettle me is he doesn't even have a vote in the referendum, so it becomes blatant meddling in another country's legislative process.

Orchard park

I'm with the lads above , don't want gaa stars or managers  campaigning either way, esp those who can't vote in it

ardtole

One of the McGee's from Donegal has been vocal about repealing the 8th, and no one I know has taken issue with him voicing his opinion.

Jinxy

Quote from: Syferus on April 21, 2018, 08:28:47 PM

I don't have any issue with the idea of it. There's enough of the can't-dare-have-an-opinion-on-society stuff in American pro sports without it infecting amateur sports here too. You should be allowed to have an opinion in public on something as huge as abortion.

That said, the No side of this debate are frankly wrong and in general dehumanise women in how they campaign and use their talking points. I hope the Yes side of the GAA community mobilises itself even more forcefully and does not allow Micky Harte to have the platform to himself.

Given he's from Tyrone what does unsettle me is he doesn't even have a vote in the referendum, so it becomes blatant meddling in another country's legislative process.

You are allowed.
Look at Eamon McGee's involvement with the 'Together4Yes' campaign in Donegal.
Do it in your capacity as a private individual and leave the GAA out of it.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Orchard park

I haven't heard of him do so and didnt hear any group of gaa affiliates organising themselves such a way to support repeal.

I would be equally critical if what I see as abuse of positions

Rossfan

McGee's is perfectly entitled to support which side he wants as us Micky H or any other GAA person.AS INDIVIDUALS.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

ardtole

Quote from: Rossfan on April 21, 2018, 09:08:19 PM
McGee's is perfectly entitled to support which side he wants as us Micky H or any other GAA person.AS INDIVIDUALS.
I agree with you alright. No need for the "gaa athletes"  title.h

An Fhairche Abu

Not happy that they are referencing the GAA and half of the them don't even have the vote on this issue. As private individuals they are more than entitled to campaign for whatever they want apart from those 3 from the North who should, frankly, just stay out of it.

seafoid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msmnb676RxI

too many gruseome deaths of innocent women
The one who was dead but kept in limbo with her unborn baby because of the abortion regime  was more important than whatever Mickey has to say
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

The Hill is Blue

+1
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 10:07:16 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 09:33:17 PM
Not happy that they are referencing the GAA and half of the them don't even have the vote on this issue. As private individuals they are more than entitled to campaign for whatever they want apart from those 3 from the North who should, frankly, just stay out of it.
Lol. Freddie Free State speaks for the nation.
What on earth does having a vote have to do with it?
What on earth does an invisible border have to do with it?

You've lost the run of yourself in your attempts to distance yourself from the north.

Freddie Free State, at least try to be more creative with the insult if that's your tack. As for your statement that I'm losing the "run of yourself", physician, heal thyself.
Their "Pro life" preference is not up for change in the jurisdiction that they live, and have a vote in. It's a contentious enough debate without people who will be unaffected by the result campaigning either way.

trileacman

A few fellas spouting contradictions including syferus. Not a week ago half the people in ROI were passing comment and opinion on the Ulster rugby rape trial including at least half of the TD's and senators in the Dail. The affair was broached in the Dail and very publicly covered on social media by the same public representatives. There were demonstrations in cork, Dublin, galway etc and 300 odd pages of comment on here by mostly ROI commentators. This is despite the trial being held under the laws of a different jurisdiction.

Next to no-one in the north attempted to deny the right of people south of the border to pass comment or publicly lobby for one side of the rape trial. I think it's a bit cheap to now state that harte, Cassidy or gallagher are "blatantly meddling in another country's legislative process". Where the Labour Party or solidarity blantantly meddling in another countries legal process when their representatives passed slanderous comment against the defendants in an NI rape trial?

The group shouldn't be using the GAA acronym in it's title I agree and it's not defendable but it's contradictory, cynical and myopic to think people north of the border don't have a right to support, or object, to repealing the 8th amendment.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Orchard park

Quote from: hardstation on April 21, 2018, 10:07:16 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on April 21, 2018, 09:33:17 PM
Lol. Freddie Free State speaks for the nation.
What on earth does having a vote have to do with it?
What on earth does an invisible border have to do with it?

You've lost the run of yourself in your attempts to distance yourself from the north.

I agree with an fairche on this. MH  and others who neither are affected by the decision or can decide on it should stay out.

They do  not represent  my GAA