A-Level results improve once again

Started by tintin25, August 16, 2007, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derry Devil

Having done A Levels this year I can say that some of the exams i sat were probably harder than the past papers I had done! I got 3 A's and 1 B.

inisceithleann

Exams are something that have to be passed by whatever means possible. How many of us tried to guess questions, tried to wear lecturers down as to content and photocopy every pass paper going in the library to try and second guess the examiner? Teachers are masters at getting students through exams these days. Some people are exceptional at doing exams but they aren't actually that smart. Employers are copping on to this and are more interested in other things. However in saying that getting 3 As at A Level still requires a fair degree of intelligence  :D
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

inisceithleann

Quote from: Derry Devil on August 16, 2007, 09:14:24 PM
Having done A Levels this year I can say that some of the exams i sat were probably harder than the past papers I had done! I got 3 A's and 1 B.

Congrats, don't let these fellas take away from your success  ;D

Derry Devil

Quote from: inisceithleann on August 16, 2007, 09:18:10 PM
Quote from: Derry Devil on August 16, 2007, 09:14:24 PM

Congrats, don't let these fellas take away from your success  ;D

Thanks ;)

ONeill

Quote from: CiKe on August 16, 2007, 09:03:42 PM
O'Neill i was also making the point that a good part of what i covered at A-level my older siblings had done at additional maths GCSE level

Erm, and you think that's odd?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

john mcgill

There is a much bigger focus on learning rather than teaching now in education and this must also be paying dividends.  regarding declining standards I'll quote an old professor of mine "nostalgia and amnesia go together"

ludermor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 04:37:50 PM

I done Honours English,Maths,Physics,French,Tech Drawing,Building Construction quite a lot of detail in that let me tell you
Only Pass subject i done was Irish

LL dont take this the wrong way, but did you do elect straight from school? would all them honours have been a waste for the  apprenticeship? Thats if suir even took on apprentices   :)

Bogball XV

Quote from: ludermor on August 16, 2007, 09:58:24 PM

I done Honours English,Maths,Physics,French,Tech Drawing,Building Construction quite a lot of detail in that let me tell you

LL dont take this the wrong way, but did you do elect straight from school? would all them honours have been a waste for the  apprenticeship? Thats if suir even took on apprentices   :)
Financially it doing the apprenticeship was probably the better decision, and sure they're not wasted - hasn't he got approx 5000 post on this board ;)

Tankie

LL created electricity he's that good :)

only problem was he didnt know we had it in Dublin for a hundred years so he just became a sparks ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

CiKe

Of course it's bloody well odd, an additional maths GCSE is not suppose to be the same standard as an A-Level. When I talk about covered, I mean covering for the first time - ie my older siblings were covering it in 5th year when I was seeing some of it in upper 6th.

Usually I wouldn't be the smart arse and most of your comments are generally very good but you're a teacher if I'm not mistaken. If you don't follow this simple line of thought then what hope is there for your students - the exams must be getting easier!

ONeill

GCSE additional maths introduces students to the mathematics studied in AS and A Level GCE modules.

The Real Laoislad

Mmmm another who knows Suir i wish ye would own up to who ye are!!I didn't do my apprentiship with Suir anyways...
Too answer your orginal question though no i don't think they were a bit of a waste ,i would rather be working a Trade than stuck in a office as an accountant or something similar.
Also the Electrical apprenticship is not just learning how to change lightblubs and fixing sockets it involves an awful lot of Engineering and Electronics which includes Maths and Physics it's a lot more complex than you might think
And i now have my own company,and am doing very well at it,So no i don't think it is a waste,I certainly don't think someone who went to Uni and became a lawyer or whatever is any better than me
I know you weren't saying it in your post but it pisses me off sometimes that some people have a attitude that people who take up apprenticships are the ones who were not good enough to go to college.Intelligence comes in different forms in my opinion  but because someone goes to college and some take on trades doesn't mean the person that went to college is any more intellegent than the fella who took the apprenticships
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ONeill

TYP, do you think there are handier A Levels than others, or is it simply relative to your interests/ability?

inisceithleann

Quote from: Take Your Points on August 17, 2007, 12:01:08 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2007, 11:38:07 PM
TYP, do you think there are handier A Levels than others, or is it simply relative to your interests/ability?

There is no doubt that some A levels are easier to get higher grades than others.  Vocational A levels will always produce higher grades because of the coursework element, higher the % coursework the higher the grades.

If you look at the distribution of grades by CCEA, it does show that the distribution of grades differs.

The above table is for CCEA exams and shows the cumulative percentage of grades given for each subject.  It is surprising to see which subjects are the most difficult to achieve A grades in.  Geography is one of the toughest and in Maths 55% of the grades given are A's.

You do need to realise that the subject does dictate the ability of its students. e.g. Maths does attract the best students, although Geography does attract a broad ability range.  The table is a rough guide to difficulty.

Makes me a bit more proud of the A i got in Geography  :)

ludermor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 10:48:34 PM
I know you weren't saying it in your post but it pisses me off sometimes that some people have a attitude that people who take up apprenticships are the ones who were not good enough to go to college.Intelligence comes in different forms in my opinion  but because someone goes to college and some take on trades doesn't mean the person that went to college is any more intellegent than the fella who took the apprenticships

LL didnt mean that at all, i went to college but the 2 younger brothers done trades ( with all my blessings). I was just curious as to you having a good leaving cert and not doing Elect Eng for example, i suppose you were lucky in that you knew what you wanted to do at a young age.
And as they say in suir dont scan me scan