A-Level results improve once again

Started by tintin25, August 16, 2007, 03:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

tintin25

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 04:09:37 PM
Pah! The Leaving Cert is much harder ;)

I'd say it probably is! I see some lad managed SIX grade A's!!! I have no doubt he worked hard and is pretty intelligent but come off it!! SIX???  ???

The Real Laoislad

Out of pure curiosity how many subjects do you do in them A Level exams
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Tankie

Them A Levels are a Joke, only have to do 2 subjects! no wonder the Brits dont know their Geography ;D
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2007, 04:27:42 PM
When I was doing my GCSE Additional Maths, my teacher used to give us Additional Maths past papers and Leaving Cert papers. There was no difference in the level of difficulty.
Unless things have changed from then.

I done seven in my Leaving Cert thats a big difference from 3/4...
Not saying one is harder than the other but studying for 7 exams and studying for 3 is a big difference
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rois

The difference is for A Levels you get to chose the subjects that you've at least half an interest in.  

If you want to do medicine and you've done your leaving cert, you have to do a pre-med year, if you have the right A Levels you don't - that suggests you cover a lot more in A Level science than leaving cert.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2007, 04:33:54 PM
Quote from: Tankie on August 16, 2007, 04:30:04 PM
Them A Levels are a Joke, only have to do 2 subjects! no wonder the Brits dont know their Geography ;D
You can do one if you like.
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 04:31:34 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2007, 04:27:42 PM
When I was doing my GCSE Additional Maths, my teacher used to give us Additional Maths past papers and Leaving Cert papers. There was no difference in the level of difficulty.
Unless things have changed from then.

I done seven in my Leaving Cert thats a big difference from 3/4...
Not saying one is harder than the other but studying for 7 exams and studying for 3 is a big difference
Depends how much detail is involved.

I done Honours English,Maths,Physics,French,Tech Drawing,Building Construction quite a lot of detail in that let me tell you
Only Pass subject i done was Irish
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

I can feel a joke coming from Hardstation!!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

My grammer isn't the best...Lucky im not a English teacher!
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Rois

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 16, 2007, 04:37:50 PM

I done Honours English,Maths,Physics,French,Tech Drawing,Building Construction quite a lot of detail in that let me tell you

Just had a look at the syllabus for Leaving Cert French - correct me if I'm wrong but you didn't even have to study any French literature!

Rois

Now in fairness I had a look at the Irish syllabus and they have to do poetry and prose, same as A Level. 

inisceithleann

I don't think there's much between the two. With A-Levels you only have to study 3 subjects but they are clearly studied to a higher level than in the Leaving. But I really appreciated being able to drop maths and science after GCSE as I was brutal at them. If I had been doing the Leaving where you have to do these subjects I would have done no more near as well as I did in in my A-Levels.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

ONeill

The best part of A Level Irish for me was the pictures in Seán Ó Ríordáin's memorable novels.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.