Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: macker15 on May 21, 2021, 07:24:44 PM
Quote from: SHEEDY on March 26, 2021, 01:54:30 PM
i run 40 to 50 miles a week and past couple of years have always run in brooks, have had few different versions of their shoes and always found them a great shoe. check these guys out, have a few good deals from time to time.  https://www.runnersneed.com/

anyone not sure on what shoe to decide on, there's a couple of comparison sites where you can compare reviews, weight, price, arch support etc etc.

https://www.runningshoesguru.com/   https://runrepeat.com/

How often would you change your runners doing that mileage?

Wasn't overly impressed Sheedy with the Brooks, was hoping they'd be better probably picked the wrong pair. Brooks Guiderails
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

SHEEDY

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2021, 08:23:44 PM
i run 40 to 50 miles a week and past couple of years have always run in brooks, have had few different versions of their shoes and always found them a great shoe. check these guys out, have a few good deals from time to time.  https://www.runnersneed.com/

anyone not sure on what shoe to decide on, there's a couple of comparison sites where you can compare reviews, weight, price, arch support etc etc.

Wasn't overly impressed Sheedy with the Brooks, was hoping they'd be better probably picked the wrong pair. Brooks Guiderails
guiderails is the technology built into different brooks shoes to give support rather than being the name of a brooks running shoe?
Everyone is different and what suits someone might be totally rubbish for someone else. A lot of people recommend hoka but I couldn't get into them at all. Maybe didn't give them enough of a chance.
nil satis nisi optimum

Milltown Row2

Quote from: SHEEDY on May 22, 2021, 08:13:36 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 21, 2021, 08:23:44 PM

guiderails is the technology built into different brooks shoes to give support rather than being the name of a brooks running shoe?
Everyone is different and what suits someone might be totally rubbish for someone else. A lot of people recommend hoka but I couldn't get into them at all. Maybe didn't give them enough of a chance.

Adrenaline GTS 19 Brooks
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on May 21, 2021, 03:49:16 PM

Btw if you are looking for something cushioned but still light enough if you want to go a bit faster then I'd highly recommend the Saucony Endorphin Speed, probably the best running shoe I've ever had.
My pair have almost 700km on them and they still feel great. They are expensive at €180 but they are great.
[/quote]

Started running at start of first lockdown, being reading this thread for years, I'm an old lad these days but I now run 30k a week, loving it. Just back from the Run Hub, picked up a pair of the Saucony Hurricane 23s, can't wait to get out in them.
I'm blaming you LL if these don't take serious time off my best times.
[/quote]
Well how they going for you?

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2021, 07:46:57 PM

Btw if you are looking for something cushioned but still light enough if you want to go a bit faster then I'd highly recommend the Saucony Endorphin Speed, probably the best running shoe I've ever had.
My pair have almost 700km on them and they still feel great. They are expensive at €180 but they are great.

Started running at start of first lockdown, being reading this thread for years, I'm an old lad these days but I now run 30k a week, loving it. Just back from the Run Hub, picked up a pair of the Saucony Hurricane 23s, can't wait to get out in them.
[/quote]
[/quote]

I am delighted with them. I ran 20:58 for 5k yesterday morning. Now I got the COVID-19 vaccine the day before and wasn't feeling the best, but that's my second fastest time. The big difference is that I don't feel I am running on the road anymore, they cushion the impact. Looking forward to running further rather than faster in them.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on May 26, 2021, 07:31:55 AM
Quote from: laoislad on May 25, 2021, 07:46:57 PM

[/quote]

I am delighted with them. I ran 20:58 for 5k yesterday morning. Now I got the COVID-19 vaccine the day before and wasn't feeling the best, but that's my second fastest time. The big difference is that I don't feel I am running on the road anymore, they cushion the impact. Looking forward to running further rather than faster in them.
[/quote]

Good man fair play, that's great progress.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

galwayman

Hi lads. I've only taken up doing some runs in the last 6 months.
I need a new pair of runners now and looking for recommendations.
Now I've only been doing three 5k runs a week up to now & going to try and increase the distance gradually over the next few months - 22:35 is my best 5k time.
These runs don't come naturally to me at all - was used to the short sprint type runs from
Football but too old for that now alas.

Given that I'm not doing huge mileage here at all - does it actually matter what runners I buy?
Sale on at the moment and was thinking of getting Nike Pegasus 38s.
Good/bad idea?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: galwayman on June 01, 2021, 10:03:08 AM
Hi lads. I've only taken up doing some runs in the last 6 months.
I need a new pair of runners now and looking for recommendations.
Now I've only been doing three 5k runs a week up to now & going to try and increase the distance gradually over the next few months - 22:35 is my best 5k time.
These runs don't come naturally to me at all - was used to the short sprint type runs from
Football but too old for that now alas.

Given that I'm not doing huge mileage here at all - does it actually matter what runners I buy?
Sale on at the moment and was thinking of getting Nike Pegasus 38s.
Good/bad idea?

What are you currently using? If you are getting 22.35 for 5K then you are doing alright for something as you say, doesn't come naturally..

So its always a personal choice, I've had the Nike running shoes and not overly impressed, some here prefer Brooks, Saucony (haven't tried them yet) though interested, the Hoka one shoe was very good for me, great cushioned sole and felt good when running.

But if you are doing enough miles I think the key is changing them every 400/500 miles, read the comments if getting them online, as a lot depends on the type of runs you are doing, old injuries form football and fitness levels.

imtommygunn

I've been using mizuno air wave which I am happy enough with. I used to use Brooks but they "evolved" a lot and I wouldn't like them as much any more. I'm not a big fan of asics.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 01, 2021, 10:55:26 AM
I've been using mizuno air wave which I am happy enough with. I used to use Brooks but they "evolved" a lot and I wouldn't like them as much any more. I'm not a big fan of asics.

Well cushioned Tommy?

imtommygunn

Yeah. Not the same level as hokas but they are one of the more comfortable running shoes I've worn.

The Corporal

Folks
Don't post on here very often but just looking opinions. Taken up running and cycling since the playing career has recently ended to try and keep in some sort of shape.

Looking to purchase a fitness tracker/smart watch to track runs and cycles etc. Does anyone have any decent experience with these and any recommendations?

Was contemplating an Apple Watch but the battery life just doesn't seem up to scratch for the amount of money they cost. Wouldn't want to buy something that spends more time on the charger than on my wrist. Thinking along the lines of Garmin or Polar but any suggestions would be appreciated

trueblue1234

Have had a couple of Garmin. Couldn't fault them. Forerunner is a great bit of kit. Had the 235 and it's a great job. Made the mistake of changing to a Visio. Which has a few added bells and whistles, but not the same amount of running data. Would love the forerunner 735 but was pricey when I was looking and couldn't justify it. Think not more reasonable now. Can store music on it and stream.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Ethan Tremblay

I have the forerunner 645, got it back in January and it's brilliant, the data on it is top notch and it stores music as well, so you can leave the phone at home.  Although it doesn't come with an array of downloadable apps like the apple watch, if its pure running and cycling data you are after then go for a forerunner.   
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

gerrykeegan

I'd second the 645 forerunner music, I charge it once a week, sometimes I'd give it a second blast if needed. Light on the wrist and looks good to. (IMO) Very easy to use. Great to leave the phone at home, holds about 500 songs but you need Spotify Premium.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)