Documentaries

Started by 5 Sams, July 14, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eamonnca1

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2016, 05:27:46 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 30, 2016, 03:58:40 PM
I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos.

The science explanations are excellent, really great show watched it a couple of time now.
But he really should leave the politics out of it

Carl Sagan's original didn't back away from politics either, and I think it worked well for both iterations of the show. Sagan made a point or lamenting that every newspaper has a horoscope section but not necessarily a science section, and how many resources are dedicated to war compared to peaceful research. If military budgets were spent instead on space exploration we'd be a lot better off and probably halfway to the nearest star by now.

Eamonnca1

Great little YouTube channel here, Tom Scott:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBa659QWEk1AI4Tg--mrJ2A  Nice little three-minute shorts called Things you Might Not Know. Very informative, always interesting, always something unusual, off-the-beaten-path stuff, and well put together.

Geography Now is a great way to learn about the countries of the world. He's working his way up the alphabet, so the early A countries are a bit rough. But interesting and well put together. Gets a few things wrong (like pronunciations) but still worth subscribing:

https://www.youtube.com/user/GeographyNow

stew

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2016, 05:39:16 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on July 31, 2016, 05:27:46 AM
Quote from: muppet on July 30, 2016, 03:58:40 PM
I love Neil DeGrasse Tyson's Cosmos.

The science explanations are excellent, really great show watched it a couple of time now.
But he really should leave the politics out of it

Carl Sagan's original didn't back away from politics either, and I think it worked well for both iterations of the show. Sagan made a point or lamenting that every newspaper has a horoscope section but not necessarily a science section, and how many resources are dedicated to war compared to peaceful research. If military budgets were spent instead on space exploration we'd be a lot better off and probably halfway to the nearest star by now.

f**k off you absolute ballix!

Halfway to the nearest star my star, it is too far away, wars stink but come on, we will not be near halfway to the nearest star for a couple of hundred years if even then.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

The scenario imagines no resources wasted on military endeavors, which means our technology would have kept on evolving from the classical era and no dark ages to interrupt it. Industrialization could have happened long before it did.

The nearest star is about 4.3 light years away. If we set off in about 1000AD we'd have made good progress by now.

Minder

OJ : Made in America, just finished the ESPN five part documentary. Brilliant stuff.

That jury was a disgrace  :(
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

muppet

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2016, 07:04:16 PM
The scenario imagines no resources wasted on military endeavors, which means our technology would have kept on evolving from the classical era and no dark ages to interrupt it. Industrialization could have happened long before it did.

The nearest star is about 4.3 light years away. If we set off in about 1000AD we'd have made good progress by now.

In what, a chariot?  :D

Military endeavours produced everything from the telescope to the rockets.
MWWSI 2017

omaghjoe

Projet Longshot could get us to Alpha centuri in 100 years if there was the will to do it. Thing is within a liberal democracy we would probably need a massive amount of propaganda to allow funding for it. The type that is only really generated within the context of a war or threat of war.

Not to mention that the technology it would use would be nuclear fission....how did we come by that again?

leenie

Quote from: lurganblue on August 01, 2016, 04:04:54 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on July 30, 2016, 11:16:36 AM
Watched a good documentary from America. All or Nothing: A season with the Arizona Cardinals. 8 episodes long and on Amazon Prime. I like those behind the scenes type shows.

Something similar on netflix. "Last Chance U". America football college team i believe.  I'm yet to watch it but the trailer looks decent.

Good call really enjoyed it

Quote from: Minder on August 06, 2016, 09:36:33 PM
OJ : Made in America, just finished the ESPN five part documentary. Brilliant stuff.

That jury was a disgrace  :(

Second episode in ... It's v good , mental stuff ,

Good recommendations here ..
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

leenie

The 13th .. it's on Netflix

13TH is a 2016 American documentary by director Ava DuVernay. Centered on race in the United States criminal justice system, the film is titled after the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution which theoretically outlawed slavery. DuVernay's documentary argues that slavery is being perpetuated, however, through mass incarceration.

13TH has garnered acclaim from film critics.

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

tonto1888

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 06, 2016, 07:04:16 PM

our nearest star is the sun

armaghniac

The interesting documentary on the withdrawal from Saigon is on RTE now. Catch it on the player if you are interested.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

Quote from: armaghniac on December 28, 2016, 02:21:24 AM
The interesting documentary on the withdrawal from Saigon is on RTE now. Catch it on the player if you are interested.

I watched that myself. Was a very honest account of the final hours, and the footage was incredible.

Well worth viewing on catch up....
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

armaghniac

Quote from: give her dixie on December 28, 2016, 09:27:14 PM

I watched that myself. Was a very honest account of the final hours, and the footage was incredible.

Interesting footage from many perspectives. If you want to nit pick then perhaps a North Vietnamese perspective would have been interesting, no doubt they were happy to let troublemakers just leave.
Vietnam is definitely on the radar for a visit.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

give her dixie

Quote from: armaghniac on December 28, 2016, 09:46:45 PM
Quote from: give her dixie on December 28, 2016, 09:27:14 PM

Interesting footage from many perspectives. If you want to nit pick then perhaps a North Vietnamese perspective would have been interesting, no doubt they were happy to let troublemakers just leave.
Vietnam is definitely on the radar for a visit.

Footage from the detention centres would have been fairly horrific too.

Like yourself, Vietnam is high on my travel plans. Inside 2 years I hope

give her dixie

Very enjoyable show on RTE 2 at the present on Panti........

"Queen Of Ireland"