You know what really grinds my gears?

Started by corn02, June 02, 2007, 03:41:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Louth Exile on November 13, 2007, 10:08:25 PM
You go to the express checkout and some auld biddy is there in front of you, she thinks its alright to go the express checkout (10 items or less) with her entire weeks shopping. In fairness she is chancing her arm, your one behind the till should have told her to sling her hook and go to another checkout!
I do that all the time and nobody says anything.

How about people who go into a massive supermarket to buy 3 things they could get in the corner shop and then expect special treatment?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Puckoon

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 14, 2007, 10:42:31 PM
You go to the express checkout and some auld biddy is there in front of you, she thinks its alright to go the express checkout (10 items or less) with her entire weeks shopping. In fairness she is chancing her arm, your one behind the till should have told her to sling her hook and go to another checkout!

How about people who go into a massive supermarket to buy 3 things they could get in the corner shop and then expect special treatment?

Dont you already think people are too selfish Pints, like parents?
Does this constitute selfishness?

pintsofguinness

Puckoon

Deciding upon yourself that an unwritten courtesy rule put in place by the people who run and design the supermarket, so that people with a smaller shopping list dont have to queue for a long time - doesnt have to be abided by your good self and that you have no problem with jumping in there with 365 packets of cookstown sausages and god knows what else and fecking up the whole fecking system which without people like you would work quite well?

No? Must just be in my head then!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 10:54:59 PM
Deciding upon yourself that an unwritten courtesy rule put in place by the people who run and design the supermarket, so that people with a smaller shopping list dont have to que for a long time - doesnt have to be abided by your good self and that you have no problem with jumping in there with 365 packets of cookstown sausages and god knows what else and fecking up the whole fecking system which without people like you would work quite well?

No? Must just be in my head then!

But if you go to a big supermarket expect to cue.  You go to the trouble to going to a big supermarket, looking for a space, parking, walking maybe 100yards to the shop, walk around the shop picking up your 5 items and then suddenly you're in a massive hurry and need special treatment?  Doesn't make sense to me. 
And some of us need to get out of the shop before the car's clamped.

Puckoon

have you any idea how heavy a basket full of findus crispy finests is??
Anyways, what if the supermarket is the local corner shop?
Either way, you have to admit that even though you have your own prejudices, your actions are selfish in themselves.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 11:05:40 PM
Anyways, what if the supermarket is the local corner shop?
Either way, you have to admit that even though you have your own prejudices, your actions are selfish in themselves.

No I don't see how it's selfish, I don't believe in people getting special treatment when it's not needed.
If a big supermarket is your local corner shop well that's an unfortunate inconvenience, just like my local shop being a small shop that doesn't have everything is an unfortrunate inconvenience.

Leg End

oh no i feel another parent/toddler parking space debate in the air  :) :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
we're here for a good time, not a long time

Puckoon

By not regarding the unwritten law of the jungle, you are in essence being selfish. No way around that particular point. Whatever your reasons are im not here to argue them, just acknowledge that you are a selfish miserable (resisting the temptation to use old here) git!! ;)

http://m-w.com/dictionary/selfish

Main Entry: self·ish  
Pronunciation: \ˈsel-fish\
Function: adjective
Date: 1640
1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
2: arising from concern with one's own welfare or advantage in disregard of others <a selfish act>
3: being an actively replicating repetitive sequence of nucleic acid that serves no known function <selfish DNA>; also : being genetic material solely concerned with its own replication <selfish genes>
— self·ish·ly adverb
— self·ish·ness noun

Would you let a woman with a screaming kid and a basket full of groceries go ahead of you? Or would you offer to hold her basket so she could slap the child!? :P :P

pintsofguinness

QuoteBy not regarding the unwritten law of the jungle, you are in essence being selfish. No way around that particular point. Whatever your reasons are im not here to argue them, just acknowledge that you are a selfish miserable (resisting the temptation to use old here) git!!
I am none of them things.

Quote1: concerned excessively or exclusively with oneself : seeking or concentrating on one's own advantage, pleasure, or well-being without regard for others
That is not me at all.  I would show great concern for someone else provided it was real.

Would you let a woman with a screaming kid and a basket full of groceries go ahead of you? Or would you offer to hold her basket so she could slap the child!?
I woudl if the child was crying over something that happened i.e. a fall or if it was a baby but not if it's just a spoilt brat that's not getting the sweets it wants.

pintsofguinness

Puckoon

Many old men get grumpy when they dont get their afternoon nap  ;). Hope its nothing serious 5ive Times. Apologies for the cyber noise.

I wonder what it is that really ground your gears.
Anyways, all im trying to do is save Pints soul.

:-X

Louth Exile

Quote from: pintsofguinness on November 14, 2007, 10:42:31 PM
Why does that not surprise me  ::)

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 10:54:59 PM
doesnt have to be abided by your good self and that you have no problem with jumping in there with 365 packets of cookstown sausages
:D Very good, you do admit, you like your sausages POG

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 11:05:40 PM
No, he ain't got a clue, sure he hates the things. You stick it to em Puckoon.

Just a quick question for you pints, do you venture south of south armagh for the shopping at all??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

pintsofguinness

QuoteJust a quick question for you pints, do you venture south of south armagh for the shopping at all??
Yes, into dundalk and superquinn if I'm around home though I suppose south armagh isn't my first home anymore. 
Why?