Looking For A Club Hurling/Advice

Started by independent, December 28, 2016, 05:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

independent

Hi

I played hurling for the first time in years this year but outside Laois. I'm back in Laois and would prefer to play here. This year I was just playing as a junior sub more or less making up the numbers so they could field a team/have a sub which suited me as I have a huge commitment to another sport too.

For a couple of reasons I don't particularly want to play at home, mainly because they have plenty of players and wouldn't have much use for an extra body. I'd kinda like to find a club where having an extra body would be of some use!

Would I have any options for finding some club where I could just be a useful sub or is that totally unrealistic given rules etc.?

I could hurl outside Laois again but it's a lot of driving!

Thanks

Don Draper

Speak to your club and ask would they object to you transferring to another club. I'd imagine once they're grand, it shouldn't cause too many problems in the softly applied Laois GAA transfer system. From reading the local paper recently it appears as if you could drive a ten tonne truck through the Laois GAA transfer system anyway.

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: independent on December 28, 2016, 05:07:22 PM
Hi

I played hurling for the first time in years this year but outside Laois. I'm back in Laois and would prefer to play here. This year I was just playing as a junior sub more or less making up the numbers so they could field a team/have a sub which suited me as I have a huge commitment to another sport too.

For a couple of reasons I don't particularly want to play at home, mainly because they have plenty of players and wouldn't have much use for an extra body. I'd kinda like to find a club where having an extra body would be of some use!

Would I have any options for finding some club where I could just be a useful sub or is that totally unrealistic given rules etc.?

Thanks
Inter county transfer will be no problem. I'd say no club in Laois would refuse an extra hurler.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

tcrilly

Quote from: independent on December 28, 2016, 05:07:22 PM
Hi

Thanks

Hello and welcome to the laois forum, the small clubs in laois and tipp that sound like your best needs would be kyle gaa(4 mins from roscrea town) knock gaa(small junior club that play in clonmore for home and training) killavilla(3 mins from roacrea although joined with ballyskeneach) and the clubs iv mentioned are hurling clubs on the tipp border,offaly laois border and tipperary mid division which is knock gaa, these clubs have been struggling with numbers for years but if you need any more info pm me or add as friend and i will gladly advise as best i can, watch out for keyser soze here, turns most threads into a "im better than you and know it all kind of guy but the rest of the people here are respectful

independent

Thanks for all the replies!

@tcrilly often wondered about that pitch around killavilla, didn't realise there was an actual club!

tcrilly

Quote from: independent on December 29, 2016, 11:39:08 AM
Thanks for all the replies!

@tcrilly often wondered about that pitch around killavilla, didn't realise there was an actual club!

Yeah but even as an amalgamated club they struggle to field a team now the way things are gone

Keyser Söze

Quote from: tcrilly on December 29, 2016, 12:06:36 AM
watch out for keyser soze here, turns most threads into a "im better than you and know it all kind of guy but the rest of the people here are respectful

:D
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

independent

Another question... how does the system work in Laois exactly, you play in the parish you live in and that's pretty much it?

Thanks lads!

tcrilly

Quote from: independent on December 30, 2016, 08:48:02 PM
Another question... how does the system work in Laois exactly, you play in the parish you live in and that's pretty much it?

Thanks lads!

Oh its fairly flexible, basically you can play with anyone as long as the club you are leaving agrees, if the club you are leaving objects then you would need to have an address near the club you wish to play with which has been fiddled a few times, what county is it you play in?

independent