Businesses the have acted the cnut during the Coronavirus Outbreak

Started by Franko, March 25, 2020, 11:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

Quote from: RedHand88 on April 18, 2020, 04:24:01 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 18, 2020, 04:16:23 PM
Went into a fruit & veg shop there to get some broccoli for tomorrow's dinner. 4 small bunches were £5.60, the wife said that would have cost £2 - £3 in Tesco but they had none.
Yesterday the wife said a filling station charged her £4 for 2 kitchen rolls, she didn't realise until she was home.

Tesco have 10,000 stores and can bulk buy in a way the fruit and veg shop can only dream of.

Maybe so but shops are putting the hand into the people too, taking advantage of the situation and charging prices way beyond their normal prices and in cases double the price. I do expect to pay that we bit more from the local shop and that's fine but not when they're into the elbow
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ardtole

I'd say the suppliers are putting their claws in too, but I get your point.

Hereiam

At a time when the local shop has a chance to be attractive again the local community they can't help themselves....

gallsman

The Phoenix magazine let a full time journalist go after she had to self isolate after coming down with covid like symptoms.

Today they were caught looking for an intern for her role. Exact same job spec. They wanted FIVE years' experience. For an intern.

RadioGAAGAA

i usse an speelchekor

gallsman

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 22, 2020, 10:31:10 AM
Is that even legal?

I would imagine not. She was on probation, so it looks as if they tried to take advantage of that to get rid of her salary. If it could somehow be shown to be legal, it would still be absolutely wrong.

Details here:

https://twitter.com/evadiminutive/status/1252555365306302464?s=19

The Phoenix's hurried attempt at damage limitation here:

https://twitter.com/ThePhoenixMag/status/1252677410090352641?s=19

Baile Brigín 2

Is that even legal?

Yes. She admitted she was on probation when questioned about it, so they are perfectly entitled to terminate her employment for any reason. However its not a good look from a magazine that holds others to account.

gallsman

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 23, 2020, 05:45:43 PM
Is that even legal?

Yes. She admitted she was on probation when questioned about it, so they are perfectly entitled to terminate her employment for any reason. However its not a good look from a magazine that holds others to account.

This is bullshit. A) she didn't "admit" to bring on probation, is simply a fact of matter. It wasn't hidden or undisclosed. B) an employer is not entitled to terminate an employment contract for any reason whatsoever, regardless of whether an employee is on probation or not.

pbat

Trump Group are using the furlough scheme for their staff on their Scottish resorts.

Rois

Quote from: gallsman on April 23, 2020, 06:09:31 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on April 23, 2020, 05:45:43 PM
Is that even legal?

This is bullshit. A) she didn't "admit" to bring on probation, is simply a fact of matter. It wasn't hidden or undisclosed. B) an employer is not entitled to terminate an employment contract for any reason whatsoever, regardless of whether an employee is on probation or not.
My husband's just started a new job with six months probation and the employment can be terminated with one week's notice. I would be surprised if his global firm had it wrong.

gallsman

Probation does not, and cannot, remove or reduce your statutory rights, one of which is to not be unfairly dismissed.

That's not to say that employers do not hold all the power and pricing unfair dismissal of simple or easy, but the point remains that they are not "entitled to terminate her employment for any reason"

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: gallsman on April 23, 2020, 08:19:59 PM
Probation does not, and cannot, remove or reduce your statutory rights, one of which is to not be unfairly dismissed.

That's not to say that employers do not hold all the power and pricing unfair dismissal of simple or easy, but the point remains that they are not "entitled to terminate her employment for any reason"

You have no absolute right to the unfair dismissal process on the first year of employment. An employer can short service dismiss you without reason. Unless you can show one of a certain amount of exceptions such as pregnancy or trade union membership, the employer has no obligation to you until you have a calendar year under your belt.

imtommygunn

Yeah so generally probation means nothing as the one year thing gazumps it anyway.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 23, 2020, 10:13:53 PM
Yeah so generally probation means nothing as the one year thing gazumps it anyway.

Basically yeah. Generally employers should go through good procedure but if they don't its not fatal