The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

6th sam

Quote from: thebigfella on January 25, 2021, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 25, 2021, 02:38:39 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 25, 2021, 10:47:16 AM
If it was Shane Lowry with the same achievements he'd be the best ever but because it's McIlroy people don't like to admit that he's the best Irish sportsperson.
He is definitely the best Irish Golfer by a long way. Best Irish Sportsman, well that depends on your sport and the criteria you use to judge it. It is a sport that is generally not accessible to all, and I say that as an avid golfer. As a GAA fan, I'd have Paidi O'Se, Hernry, TJ or DJ up there but, opinions etc...

Big fishes in a small pond (Katie Taylor is the same).

Very few true Irish sporting stars that have consistently done it at the top level internationally, that leaves you the likes of Keane, BOD, McIlroy etc... whether you like them or not.

Would BOD not be classified as a big fish in a small pond . Rugby is only a significant sport in 9 countries worldwide. Within most of those countries it is often only significant within an elite social class.

thewobbler

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 04:19:14 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on January 25, 2021, 02:49:21 PM
Quote from: Applesisapples on January 25, 2021, 02:38:39 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 25, 2021, 10:47:16 AM
If it was Shane Lowry with the same achievements he'd be the best ever but because it's McIlroy people don't like to admit that he's the best Irish sportsperson.
He is definitely the best Irish Golfer by a long way. Best Irish Sportsman, well that depends on your sport and the criteria you use to judge it. It is a sport that is generally not accessible to all, and I say that as an avid golfer. As a GAA fan, I'd have Paidi O'Se, Hernry, TJ or DJ up there but, opinions etc...

Big fishes in a small pond (Katie Taylor is the same).

Very few true Irish sporting stars that have consistently done it at the top level internationally, that leaves you the likes of Keane, BOD, McIlroy etc... whether you like them or not.

Would BOD not be classified as a big fish in a small pond . Rugby is only a significant sport in 9 countries worldwide. Within most of those countries it is often only significant within an elite social class.

There must be 10,000 professional rugby players now. It's not soccer (what is?) but as team sports go it has to be the among the closest thing to a worldwide game that isn't soccer. Surely?

And BOD was among its brightest lights for the best part of a decade.

Hound

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 04:11:03 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on January 25, 2021, 03:57:57 PM
Quote from: shawshank on January 25, 2021, 03:00:33 PM
Joey Dunlop?

The Irishman went on to win five successive World Formula One Championships (1982-1986) for Honda and it's his success on the roads that saw him become famous all around the world.

I seriously doubt if the average man in Clapham Common has heard of Joey Dunlop, let alone him being famous all around the world.

Road racing has roughly the same global appeal as hare coursing. It's an ultra  minority sport, despite UTV's wall to wall coverage.

—-

Jonathan Rea a better shout. But I just can't help thinking, who's that now?

Road racing has a massive following tbf , especially the NW , and Joey Dunlop was the undisputed king, but Road racing is not a worldwide competitive sport. It's a bit like saying Henry Shevlin is "world class" , which strictly speaking he is . Jonathan Rea's achievements are phenomenal but again it's a minority sport in terms of participation, and he competes in one of several different divisions, thus he doesn't capture the imagination in the same way as McIlroy or Keane
Absolutely. In likes of Spain and the Baltics, Joey at his peak would have been known more than Brian O'Driscoll or Paul O'Connell at their peak and dominated his sport more than they did.

It's a shame Jonathan Rea's sport doesn't get the coverage. He is superb, equivalent to Lewis Hamilton. Although also doesn't help that there's two motorcycle codes vying for top spot.

I don't get Keane's priority. Having attended pretty much every home competitive international that Roy and Paul McGrath both played, I would not be able to separate them. Both were great. Both won English player of the year once each (as did Brady). While Keane has more medals than McGrath, that's a reflection of playing for a better team. And McGrath played a massive hand in an unfashionable Villa team finishing league runner-up twice and winning two League Cups.

Hard to argue against Rory topping the list in terms of being the best in the world for a decent period in such a widely played and widely known sport.   

Ash Smoker

If we are talking about how many million people know an Irish sports star, Eoin Morgan and Kevin O'Brien would be well up there.

screenexile

Quote from: Ash Smoker on January 25, 2021, 04:36:46 PM
If we are talking about how many million people know an Irish sports star, Eoin Morgan and Kevin O'Brien would be well up there.

Who??

Orior

Quote from: Hound on January 25, 2021, 04:32:58 PM
Joey Dunlop?

The Irishman went on to win five successive World Formula One Championships (1982-1986) for Honda and it's his success on the roads that saw him become famous all around the world.

I seriously doubt if the average man in Clapham Common has heard of Joey Dunlop, let alone him being famous all around the world.

Road racing has roughly the same global appeal as hare coursing. It's an ultra  minority sport, despite UTV's wall to wall coverage.

—-

Road racing has a massive following tbf , especially the NW , and Joey Dunlop was the undisputed king, but Road racing is not a worldwide competitive sport. It's a bit like saying Henry Shevlin is "world class" , which strictly speaking he is . Jonathan Rea's achievements are phenomenal but again it's a minority sport in terms of participation, and he competes in one of several different divisions, thus he doesn't capture the imagination in the same way as McIlroy or Keane
Absolutely. In likes of Spain and the Baltics, Joey at his peak would have been known more than Brian O'Driscoll or Paul O'Connell at their peak and dominated his sport more than they did.

It's a shame Jonathan Rea's sport doesn't get the coverage. He is superb, equivalent to Lewis Hamilton. Although also doesn't help that there's two motorcycle codes vying for top spot.

I don't get Keane's priority. Having attended pretty much every home competitive international that Roy and Paul McGrath both played, I would not be able to separate them. Both were great. Both won English player of the year once each (as did Brady). While Keane has more medals than McGrath, that's a reflection of playing for a better team. And McGrath played a massive hand in an unfashionable Villa team finishing league runner-up twice and winning two League Cups.

Hard to argue against Rory topping the list in terms of being the best in the world for a decent period in such a widely played and widely known sport.

I never knew that. What are the two codes?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JimStynes

Quote from: screenexile on January 25, 2021, 04:40:11 PM
Quote from: Ash Smoker on January 25, 2021, 04:36:46 PM

Who??

I've heard of Eoin Morgan but I've never heard of the other fella.

lenny

Joey Dunlop?

—-

Ah come on Eileen, poor old Johnny Rea's not that famous.

6th sam

Joey Dunlop?

—-

Mcgrath was outstanding and technically superior to Keane , but with EPL one of the best leagues in the world, Keane was the most influential player for the best team for a considerable period. Internationally he made ROI competitive against top teams . Re rugby and BOD, never mind soccer which is easily the top world sport recreationally and competitively, but  basketball , NFL, AFL, Rugby league and in his own country football and hurling , are far more popular than rugby . Even As a big O'Driscoll fan, and preferring rugby to soccer over the years, I have to admit that Keane is well ahead of BOD, on the basis of it being a serious achievement to reach the top ( arguably) in the world's highest profile sport .
McIlroy trumps Keane however because he was the undisputed world number one , in a major world sport

restorepride

Quote from: 6th sam on January 25, 2021, 06:59:26 PM
Joey Dunlop?

—-

Mcgrath was outstanding and technically superior to Keane , but with EPL one of the best leagues in the world, Keane was the most influential player for the best team for a considerable period. Internationally he made ROI competitive against top teams . Re rugby and BOD, never mind soccer which is easily the top world sport recreationally and competitively, but  basketball , NFL, AFL, Rugby league and in his own country football and hurling , are far more popular than rugby . Even As a big O'Driscoll fan, and preferring rugby to soccer over the years, I have to admit that Keane is well ahead of BOD, on the basis of it being a serious achievement to reach the top ( arguably) in the world's highest profile sport .
McIlroy trumps Keane however because he was the undisputed world number one , in a major world sport
Didn't know McIlroy is Irish.  Is he?  Does he know himself? 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2021, 11:49:43 PM
Joey Dunlop?

—-

Depends what his sponsors want.

restorepride

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 25, 2021, 11:55:16 PM
Quote from: restorepride on January 25, 2021, 11:49:43 PM
Joey Dunlop?

—-

Depends what his sponsors want.
Get it now!  Go raibh maith agat!

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Kidder81

Quote from: JimStynes on January 26, 2021, 07:58:10 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 26, 2021, 07:54:50 AM

Vol Rory McIlroy

Ha ha that's ceremonial, as opposed to him draping himself in the butchers apron after a Ryder Cup & also describing himself as British, you know his own words, not mine or yours.