Joyce axed from Galway panel

Started by An Fhairche Abu, June 08, 2009, 12:53:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

From Hoganstand.com:
Joyce axed from Galway panel

Galway's preparations for their Connacht SFC semi-final against Sligo later this month have been rocked by confirmation that Nicky Joyce has been dropped from the panel.

The highly-rated forward, who is a first cousin of fellow attacker Padraic, was dropped by manager Liam Sammon over the weekend for an alleged breach of discipline.

It remains to be seen if Joyce will be brought back into the panel later in the summer, but as it stands, he won't be involved for the provincial semi-final against Kevin Walsh's Sligo at Markievicz Park on June 28.

Joyce has threatened to emerge as one of the top forwards in the game over the past few years, but a series of injuries have prevented him from doing so.

---------------------------------

Any Galway lads have the full story regarding this?

GalwayBayBoy

Heard about it alright but don't know the full story. A very big loss (when he's fit) as he's probably the most naturally gifted forward there apart from Meehan and PJ and PJ isn't going to be contributing as many scores as he once did. Just puts even more pressure on Meehan and really cuts down our options up front.

Nicky is a nice lad but he'd take some managing I'd say. I'll put it like that. Either way not good for our prospects.

That'll be Fiachra Breathnach back on the team for the Summer anyway. :-\

mouview

It could get worse - it could be poor old Matt Clancy that comes in !! Nicky's axing is no great surprise to be honest, given that there was a bit of 'context' during and since the London game. Despite all his undoubted skill and ability he isn't a huge loss as he .. ahem.. wasn't the bravest and couldn't be relied on to win 50 - 50 / 40 - 60 ball. I'm struggling to think of a tight championship match, and there haven't been that many of them, where he's made a real difference to Galway to be honest. Injuries in fairness have mitigated against him also.

INDIANA

Goodbye to Galway and the all-ireland anyway. No chance without him. Not  saying Sammon was wrong but he's one of the guys on the galway panel who could take the pressure off Meehan. In some ways a very brave call by the manager.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mouview on June 08, 2009, 03:31:25 PM
It could get worse - it could be poor old Matt Clancy that comes in !! Nicky's axing is no great surprise to be honest, given that there was a bit of 'context' during and since the London game. Despite all his undoubted skill and ability he isn't a huge loss as he .. ahem.. wasn't the bravest and couldn't be relied on to win 50 - 50 / 40 - 60 ball. I'm struggling to think of a tight championship match, and there haven't been that many of them, where he's made a real difference to Galway to be honest. Injuries in fairness have mitigated against him also.

I'd take Mattie ahead of Breathnach any day of the week to be honest.

Nicky was actually Galway's best player by a distance in Ford's last year in 2007 despite him and Ford not seeing eye to eye so to speak.  Can never seem to steer clear of niggly injuries though. He's still a big loss IMO as he's capable of firing over 4 or 5 points a match when he's on his game. PJ is not going to weigh in with the scores he once did and can we really rely on Armstrong to stay fit? It seriously hinders our options up front no matter how it's sliced.

Maybe he'll be back after the Sligo game but then again maybe not.

corn02

Has Breatnach not had a few good league campaigns for you lads?

Remember reading about him at the start of last year and he was doing well, did he not keep it up?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: corn02 on June 08, 2009, 03:49:25 PM
Has Breatnach not had a few good league campaigns for you lads?

Remember reading about him at the start of last year and he was doing well, did he not keep it up?

Well I guess he has some value in that he's a big lad who works hard and puts himself about. He's not going to give you much in the way of a scoring return though. I'm not too fond of non-scoring forwards myself. Hard work is great but that should be a given.

Duine Eile

Was waiting for this to come out. Not going to divulge anything on here but I think we all know what went on. Nicky is a lovely lad but has shot himself in the foot again as far as his football career is concerned. I don't know, maybe he hasn't the desire or dedication for county football, either way he's an awful loss and his absence is going to increase the pressure on Meehan and Padraic up front. Maybe we'll see him back after the Sligo game who knows, doubtful enough though I'd say.

paddypastit

This may sound daft but for all his talent which is undoubted Sligo might be disappointed as he is a player that, for the reasons mouview refers, they fancy being able to keep quiet and have done in the past.  How does the decision go down with the cousin?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

Duine Eile

Quote from: paddypastit on June 09, 2009, 12:08:31 AMHow does the decision go down with the cousin?

Ah look,Nicky was on and off the panel like a yoyo during both John O'Mahony and Peter Fordes reign, I doubt it's much of a surprise to anyone on the panel, Padraic especially. I'd say he'll keep the head down and concentrate on his own game. Just hope this doesn't pave the way for Fiachra Breathnach to make a comeback. ::)

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on June 09, 2009, 12:08:31 AM
This may sound daft but for all his talent which is undoubted Sligo might be disappointed as he is a player that, for the reasons mouview refers, they fancy being able to keep quiet and have done in the past.  How does the decision go down with the cousin?

The first 25mins of Connacht final he destroyed J Davey, our lads on the line were blind to it even though it was on the same wing as the dugout. Forde moved into the corner onto Harrison and finished his major involvement, for me that decision won us the Connacht final ;D so thats why i call Tommy Brehony a lucky manager more so than a good one, although i never said he was bad just average.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GaillimhIarthair

Was hoping it wouldnt come to this but unfortunately Sammon was left with little option.  As Duine Eile said earlier, Nicky is a nice fella but he never struck me as a guy that had a massive burning desire for county football despite his undoubted talent.  Hopefully he will see sense and the right people will set him straight.  Would be great to have him back sooner rather than later but its hard to see it at this stage  :-\

full back

baoithe

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 09, 2009, 07:49:24 AM
Quote from: paddypastit on June 09, 2009, 12:08:31 AM

The first 25mins of Connacht final he destroyed J Davey, our lads on the line were blind to it even though it was on the same wing as the dugout. Forde moved into the corner onto Harrison and finished his major involvement, for me that decision won us the Connacht final ;D so thats why i call Tommy Brehony a lucky manager more so than a good one, although i never said he was bad just average.

Whatever about the rest of your post Sligonian, you're spot on in respect of the skinning he was giving Davey that day. I couldn't believe it when Forde moved him into the corner and more so when he wasn't brought back out to the half forward line.

Farrandeelin

Is he really that much a loss?? I mean they still have the Meehan and P Joyce after-all.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.