Galway - Dublin, NFL Div1, Pearse Stadium, Feb 15th

Started by An Fhairche Abu, February 10, 2009, 08:46:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

But they took every game seriously and used the league as a springboard. I know for a fact under Pillar Dublin didn't and I doubt its any different this year certainly from what i've been told. Dublin have been in the last 4, 3 times in the last 4 years. Not a huge difference in my view. But O Neill's squad had mentally stronger players. We've no hope of beating Kerry or Tyrone this year. Absolutely none. We're falling further behind every year. I can't see how losing matches builds momentum. We need to win games in the league not be relegated. Its 2 from Donegal/Dublin/mayo and westmeath.

Barney

QuoteThe 1/4 finals have long being Galway's provincial final, a win here is a minimum this year.

A pity then that ye  have only been in 4 "provincial finals" in the last 9 years and lost all :-*

mouview

Quote from: Barney on February 16, 2009, 03:42:47 PM
QuoteThe 1/4 finals have long being Galway's provincial final, a win here is a minimum this year.

A pity then that ye  have only been in 4 "provincial finals" in the last 9 years and lost all :-*

Agreed. Must do better.

An Fhairche Abu

Well that's the end of that hoodoo, was a great feeling to see the team clapped off at half time knowing that there was no way back for Dublin in the game.
Unfortunately after the initial delight with the win, the Galway performance has to be framed against the lack of quality of the Dublin team on the day, still you can only play what's in front of you and Galway did play some great stuff at times yesterday. The main bonus to take is that if we beat Donegal and Mayo in the remaining home games I think we will probably be safe in Division 1.

Dublin started very well and could have had a couple of goals in the first 10 minutes but after that there was only one team in it. Even in the second half when they got 6 points in a row, Galway should have had a few more goals (easy points at least) from great positions but the final pass wasn't there and also Meehan had an off day with the frees, missing (I think) 4 frees that - one 50 metre effort in the 1st half aside - he would have on most days put over.

As regards to the Galway players, firstly Hanley was much better than the Westmeath game, although quite what Dublin thought they would get out of kicking high ball into Sherlock (who was taken off at half time) while he was being marked by a way bigger and taller man I can't fathom. After getting badly done for Dublin's 1st score, Declan Meehan played alright, don't think he is a man for the first 15 anymore but will be needed from the bench at some stage. Blake and Mullaghy were solid in the half backs and Bradshaw again added to his burgeoning reputation with a great display, this lad is going to be a really important player for Galway the way he is shaping up.

Bergin was ok at midfield but I don't think he got the support he needed in this area at times. O'Donnell didn't do much while on the pitch and was called ashore very quickly. Lydon worked hard without really dominating the middle, to be fair Whelan was playing well here at stages for the Dubs.

Armstrong has his best game in a Galway jersey for a long time, although he took his scores very well I was more impressed with his overall play (aside from the opening 10 when he was marked absent while Cahill was charging up the field) including winning 2 or 3 high balls over his head under pressure, always good to see. Bane got 4 points including a super kick from outside the 45 in the 1st half, whatever about his contribution in terms of breaking ball he will always kick the scores if he gets into the position. Joyce was class as usual aside from some loose passes from over ambitious kicks when the game was over in the 2nd half, he ran the game for Galway and there's little left to be said about this legend.
Meehan had a solid performance, great peno and got a beaut of a point from play straight after, not his usual self on the frees. Conroy had a good game in open play with a super point to stop the run of Dublin points in the 2nd half.

Wasn't that impressed with the Clare referee Rory Hickey, Dublin will be aggrieved at the penalty decision (it was soft) but to say that it was the turning point would be wrong. Aside from a couple of decent Brogan efforts and the odd bit of inspiration from Whelan - who was easily the Dubs best player, most Dublin scores came from a few soft frees the ref gave them in the 2nd half, and generally after Galway loosing possession through misplaced passes while in positions to score at least a point if not a few more majors.

Again delighted to give the jacks a hiding, but Dublin were very poor yesterday and I feel that the Galway performance has to be viewed in this context.

Quote from: Barney on February 16, 2009, 08:20:52 AM
QuoteSammon's Galway are shoo-ins for Connacht I think and I'm not stiring!

Sniper it sickens me to agree with you but none of the other teams in Connacht are anywhere close to the Tribesmen.

They have put in 5 years of hard patient work to get to where they are today. In my opinion the All Ireland is between Kerry, Tyrone and Galway.

Barney from looking over at the threads on the 2 Mayo matches so far it's either the the end of the world for Mayo football or the first step on the road to glory - as per the usual with ye lads! No more than any other year, if Galway and Mayo meet it'll be close regardless of form, we'll hardly beat ye 3 years in a row in the championship?!  ;)

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on February 16, 2009, 10:48:44 AM
Quote from: thejuice on February 16, 2009, 10:35:17 AM
Have to say Galway looked impressive yesterday. Joyce is still as good as ever. Think they're favourites for Connacht but its never that clear cut, you know Mayo wont make it easy for them.

Galway play us first in Markievicz, With a Galway man Kevin Walsh in charge and us in alot better shape than last yr I dont think were just going to roll over for them but no doubt theyre good. Just dont right us completely off, id say we will turn up for starters, I know Galway will be favourites and rightly so in all seriousness.

I watched them online yday and they looked sharp but the dubs werent great.

Aside from Kerry - who we owe a beating in the worst way at this stage, the next side I want to see Galway give a good hiding to in the championship is Sligo. I doubt anyone in the county has forgotten the 2007 Connacht final, although to be fair Sligo look to have improved a lot from the shambles they were last year(and with a Galwayman at the helm why wouldn't ye!).

GalwayBayBoy

I go away for a few days and I miss the footballers hammering Dublin and the Dubs humbling our hurlers. Have I arrived back in some parallel universe? ;D