The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Off topic slightly - has anyone booked golf cheaply in the Algarve?  Heading this weekend for a few days and looking to play around Vilamoura.  Looks fairly expensive online (because we will have to rent clubs too).

trailer

Quote from: Rois on June 11, 2019, 10:41:32 PM
Off topic slightly - has anyone booked golf cheaply in the Algarve?  Heading this weekend for a few days and looking to play around Vilamoura.  Looks fairly expensive online (because we will have to rent clubs too).

Not really possible. It's peak time and you'll pay peak prices. July and August are the cheaper times for golf out there.
I do believe you can book courses the morning you want to play but again being peak time you might not be offered great tee times and you sort of have to take what you get. I haven't done this to be honest and usually book my golf and hotel together which is the best value.

cornerback

Quote from: cornerback on April 01, 2019, 09:54:35 AM
Quote from: Applesisapples on April 01, 2019, 09:37:21 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 31, 2019, 08:03:28 PM
Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2019, 07:01:19 PM
Quote from: bigfrank on March 31, 2019, 12:29:30 PM
Many golfers on the board with handicaps?? I'm playing off 15 for past few years,can't seem to get any better or worse at it :P could play 7 days a week if I could find a way to financially support my idea lol

I've a 16 handicap more play more like a 24. Lowest I have been is 12 for two weeks.

Got down to 11 when I was kid but went up consistently at uni and when I started work. Was back at 18 when I broke two bones in my back about 6 years and am only now getting back into the game. Would probably be off 24 now. Have to say though I got a new set of Irons a few months ago. Custom fit to me so a little longer and a little more upright. I wish I had those when playing regularly because I easily got them 15% further and with more accuracy. Didn't realise the difference custom fitting could make.
Playing off 19 ATM, got down to 14 in the winter, target this year is 16.

Currently playing off 21 (20.6).  Lowest I've been is 20.

Starting playing 4 years ago, aside from hacking it around par3 course when i was a cub.  Started off 24 & went up to 25 briefly on 2 occasions.

Driver is my biggest achilles heel.  Had been hitting the driver well (by my standards) over the winter but went to shite yesterday.  Still managed to scramble around for 39 points.  However, it isn't qualifying yet.

Main aim this year is to get down to 18.  But that was my aim last year too!!

Hit my target last night  ;D

Was cut from 20.9 to 19.8 on Sunday.  Then cut from 19.8 to 18.0 last night.

New target... don't go up to 18.5 before the end of qualifying this year  :P

Applesisapples

Quote from: trailer on June 12, 2019, 09:17:46 AM
Quote from: Rois on June 11, 2019, 10:41:32 PM

Not really possible. It's peak time and you'll pay peak prices. July and August are the cheaper times for golf out there.
I do believe you can book courses the morning you want to play but again being peak time you might not be offered great tee times and you sort of have to take what you get. I haven't done this to be honest and usually book my golf and hotel together which is the best value.
If you avoid, Victoria, the Old Course and Pinhal, it's about €80 a round in Vilamoura Millennium and Laguna are twin courses on the same site at about that sort of money. the others are over a hundred. That said the old course is worth the money and Pinhal is nice. Victoria is tough. If you are staying in the Dom Pedro group Hotels you will get some discount for booking two or more rounds.

JPGJOHNNYG

Always knew Speith was a cnut

screenexile

JPGJOHNNYG

Even if the caddy did get the yardage wrong that was out of order. Thankfully most other pros deal with it better. Bubba is known for taking it out on his caddies as well and as a result is pretty unpopular with his peers. I wonder if Woosies old caddie is available you know the one that kept turning up late and then had the extra club in the bag when he was winning the Open. Maybe Speith should try him lol

screenexile

Quote from: JPGJOHNNYG on June 14, 2019, 11:09:45 AM
Even if the caddy did get the yardage wrong that was out of order. Thankfully most other pros deal with it better. Bubba is known for taking it out on his caddies as well and as a result is pretty unpopular with his peers. I wonder if Woosies old caddie is available you know the one that kept turning up late and then had the extra club in the bag when he was winning the Open. Maybe Speith should try him lol

I don't see the problem really . . . I've had bosses say much worse to me when I made a mistake. I'm sure there's been much worse said on the course by him and others that doesn't get picked up on the mic!

JPGJOHNNYG

Maybe but there is little evidence. You can hear plenty of swearing after bad shots but not a lot directed at the caddies. Bosses can go ape shit but rarely would it be done so publicly though. He has always had a temper right from when he burst on the scene but yet everyone thinks he is the mellow golden boy.  Anyway hope Rory and GMAC keep it going

Boycey

Norn Iron doing well in the golf... Also good to see Lowry sneak through to the weekend.

Mayo4Sam

Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

JPGJOHNNYG

Not a lot happening. Need Woodland to start dropping shots

JPGJOHNNYG

Rory needed a fast start today but unfortunately played the second like a club hacker

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ONeill

Nice! Have 2 pounds on him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.