Kildare v Mayo AI Qualifier Round 3

Started by Dinny Breen, June 25, 2018, 09:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Itchy

Quote from: tc_manchester on June 26, 2018, 04:30:00 PM
I just don't understand why the management team want to play the game in Newbridge
1. They haven't won there for a year
2. I was at the Kildare Mayo league match and it was pretty full. If Mayo use their full complement of season tickets then there is no point even looking for a ticket because they'll be like Hen's teeth
3. Kildare's only chance of winning this game is by running the legs off an ageing Mayo team but instead they want to play it in a smaller pitch than Croke. I would have said Yes to croke park but we want to play the game at 3 in the heat of the day. An evening match will suit Mayo even more.

In fairness this is a very good point. Mayo have a superb travelling support. If capacity is 8k I would expect contractually the GAA will have to honour around 3.5k of seats for Mayo. 5k Tickets now left. I am sure Kildare probably have 2-3k season tickets too.

So on general release you are down to only 2-3k available. After all this messing demand will probably be around 15k. Is your average Kildare fan going to be happy they dont have a chance to even see the game? Is it even possible at this stage to arrange an all ticket match?

Hound

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 26, 2018, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 26, 2018, 04:47:37 PM
I just don't understand why the management team want to play the game in Newbridge
2. I was at the Kildare Mayo league match and it was pretty full. If Mayo use their full complement of season tickets then there is no point even looking for a ticket because they'll be like Hen's teeth
3. Kildare's only chance of winning this game is by running the legs off an ageing Mayo team but instead they want to play it in a smaller pitch than Croke. I would have said Yes to croke park but we want to play the game at 3 in the heat of the day. An evening match will suit Mayo even more.

Conversely you could argue that 90% of Mayo's good performances over the past 5 years have come at Croke Park. It's everywhere else where they have looked vulnerable. Even at home in Castlebar.

Especially at home, terrible record there. I'd genuinely have our home game played in croker
I wonder if any team would take the Croke Park option if GAA formally announced that Super 8 teams can move their home games to Croke Park if they wish. When Meath were in the Top2/3 in the country they may well have if Super 8 existed back then. Probably Mayo the only ones outside Dublin who'd even consider it at the moment, but probably wouldnt on account of extra travel and expense for fans.

RedHand88

Quote from: Rossfan on June 26, 2018, 04:56:57 PM
Who are the "genuine gaels"?
Are they people who don't subscribe to Sky sports?
Or do you have to have a surname descended from the Gael?

If this goes to appeals etc etc it will fck up Round 4 for 2 teams and also the last 8 fixtures.
It's like a throwback to the 1920s or was it 1910 Kerry lost an AI because they refused to travel as the Railway Co. put up prices.

People like Michael Duignans 170year old great great grandfather who missed out on a backdoor game even though it wouldn't have been televised anyway unless sky picked it up.

BennyCake

If this goes to appeals etc etc it will fck up Round 4 for 2 teams and also the last 8 fixtures.
I
t's like a throwback to the 1920s or was it 1910 Kerry lost an AI because they refused to travel as the Railway Co. put up prices.

Good. I hope it does.

Dinny Breen

Reports are Croke Park have stirred and are requesting a meeting with KCB.
#newbridgeornowhere

tc_manchester

Quote from: Itchy on June 26, 2018, 05:01:49 PM

In fairness this is a very good point. Mayo have a superb travelling support. If capacity is 5k I would expect contractually the GAA will have to honour around 3.5k of seats for Mayo. 5k Tickets now left. I am sure Kildare probably have 2-3k season tickets too.

So on general release you are down to only 2-3k available. After all this messing demand will probably be around 15k. Is your average Kildare fan going to be happy they dont have a chance to even see the game? Is it even possible at this stage to arrange an all ticket match?

I've already booked tickets at Croke for my 3 sons and 2 nephews - no point even looking for 6 tickets if the game is in Newbridge. My nephews are not brought to games by their parents so this was a good opportunity for them to get to a big match with their county involved. You have no hope in getting them interested if you can't get kids in to watch their county.

seafoid

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 26, 2018, 04:56:32 PM
Quote from: seafoid on June 26, 2018, 04:48:35 PM

Sometimes a thing like this can change the direction of a team.
It happened with Offaly hurlers in 1998. Mr B Keating told them they were useless. They won the all Ireland

And in 2010 Mr B Keating launched an attack on the Tipp hurlers

"Former manager Michael 'Babs' Keating has written off Tipperary's All-Ireland prospects° for this season and launched another blistering attack on the current players, many of whom he managed prior to Liam Sheedy's appointment.
"If Tipp are to come through, they could have to meet Waterford, Galway and Kilkenny along the way," said Keating yesterday. "I don't think the players that have failed Tipperary over the last number of years will relish meeting them all and beating them all. Having to face a couple of them will make life very tough for Tipperary. "Denis Walsh has a history of winning All-Irelands – he has that advantage over Liam Sheedy."

Tipp won the All Ireland

Kildare probably don't have that quality and Mr B Keating is not involved but "f**k You" can be worth 5 or 6 points
Babs was and still is a complete bollox, isn't he?
The purest.
Very complex character

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 26, 2018, 04:49:16 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 26, 2018, 04:47:37 PM

Conversely you could argue that 90% of Mayo's good performances over the past 5 years have come at Croke Park. It's everywhere else where they have looked vulnerable. Even at home in Castlebar.

Especially at home, terrible record there. I'd genuinely have our home game played in croker

Beat Kildare by 9 points in Machale park two years ago don't forget.

LooseCannon

Quote from: RedHand88 on June 26, 2018, 05:02:42 PM

It's like a throwback to the 1920s or was it 1910 Kerry lost an AI because they refused to travel as the Railway Co. put up prices.
People like Michael Duignans 170year old great great grandfather who missed out on a backdoor game even though it wouldn't have been televised anyway unless sky picked it up.
His elderly father actually. Lives on Cuba Avenue, Banagher.

Hound

Quote from: tc_manchester on June 26, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

I've already booked tickets at Croke for my 3 sons and 2 nephews - no point even looking for 6 tickets if the game is in Newbridge. My nephews are not brought to games by their parents so this was a good opportunity for them to get to a big match with their county involved. You have no hope in getting them interested if you can't get kids in to watch their county.

Even die hard Kildare fans won't get tickets if the game is in Newbridge. Nobody seems to care about this. The value of a home game is more important than satisfying ticket demand.

If the game had been fixed for Newbridge, there would absolutely have been a social media outcry about the 5,000 or 10,000 extra Mayo fans who would have wanted to attend the game!

Especially with the Super 8, the GAA as a whole are going to have to decide what's more important, letting as many people attend as possible, or honouring home advantage even if there is small capacity. And should ticket allocation be the fair 50/50 as in prior years, or should home teams get a bigger slice?

It seems there's a large contingent in favour of home advantage being more important than extra spectators attending. If Kildare were contenders and had tens of thousands of fans attending games like in the O'Dwyer and even McGeeney years, would they them be demanding Newbridge this weekend? A very difficult question to answer.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 05:31:08 PM
Quote from: tc_manchester on June 26, 2018, 05:11:04 PM

Even die hard Kildare fans won't get tickets if the game is in Newbridge. Nobody seems to care about this. The value of a home game is more important than satisfying ticket demand.

If the game had been fixed for Newbridge, there would absolutely have been a social media outcry about the 5,000 or 10,000 extra Mayo fans who would have wanted to attend the game!

Especially with the Super 8, the GAA as a whole are going to have to decide what's more important, letting as many people attend as possible, or honouring home advantage even if there is small capacity. And should ticket allocation be the fair 50/50 as in prior years, or should home teams get a bigger slice?

It seems there's a large contingent in favour of home advantage being more important than extra spectators attending. If Kildare were contenders and had tens of thousands of fans attending games like in the O'Dwyer and even McGeeney years, would they them be demanding Newbridge this weekend? A very difficult question to answer.

Ah the Dub has spoken! Lets think about the Children!

Clinker

Quote from: LooseCannon on June 26, 2018, 05:19:57 PM

His elderly father actually. Lives on Cuba Avenue, Banagher.

A sound man too by all accounts - the mate and his wife wanted to visit Cuba a few years ago before Castro would die and it "all would change." Anyway, there was a bit of a mix up and they ended up n a Bed and Breakfast a couple of doors away from him. One of the best holidays ever, they still say.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Hound on June 26, 2018, 05:31:08 PM

Probably not, what has that got to do with the current situation though? It's Kildare's home advantage to decide what they want to do, if they get home advantage in a qualifier draw or the Super 8s and they decide to play it in Croke Park then fine, they don't want to do that right now.
All season ticket holders can be accommodated, there are no H&S issues and it has Garda approval, I don't see the relevance of supporters who can't get in, that's Kildare GAA's call, they have no obligation to accommodate Mayo supporters who don't have a season ticket.

longballin

Please Kildare don't back down or be bought off. Is time $KY/GAA was stood up to.