Ros v Shligo 12th June 2016.

Started by Rossfan, May 24, 2016, 08:45:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Itchy on June 04, 2016, 03:51:24 PM
Quote from: Sligoman2015 on June 04, 2016, 03:25:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on June 04, 2016, 01:53:27 PM
I hear Carew wouldn't let any seniors play for their clubs for 5 weeks before the match, which is against a Croke park law. But seeing as he is a McGeeney Disciple I'm sure he will get away with it. As for the game, I expect an easy Roscommon victory.

No that's not right, we've a clubman on the panel who played with our club last week in the senior league.

I've a mate on panel who told me they were forbidden to play last weekend and were on a training camp instead! Somebody is wrong obviously.

We have a lad on the panel who won't be near the team for Sunday. We've hardly seen him all year. I don't blame him, just part of the culture now at county level. Carew just doing the same as the rest of them

Itchy

Quote from: ck on June 06, 2016, 11:06:00 PM
I hear Carew wouldn't let any seniors play for their clubs for 5 weeks before the match, which is against a Croke park law. But seeing as he is a McGeeney Disciple I'm sure he will get away with it. As for the game, I expect an easy Roscommon victory.

No that's not right, we've a clubman on the panel who played with our club last week in the senior league.

I've a mate on panel who told me they were forbidden to play last weekend and were on a training camp instead! Somebody is wrong obviously.

We have a lad on the panel who won't be near the team for Sunday. We've hardly seen him all year. I don't blame him, just part of the culture now at county level. Carew just doing the same as the rest of them

Not all counties. Cavan players all played league with their clubs this weekend. I know Monaghan are the same. I think only backward setups are preventing lads playing.

ck

Quote from: Itchy on June 06, 2016, 11:17:37 PM
Quote from: ck on June 06, 2016, 11:06:00 PM

Not all counties. Cavan players all played league with their clubs this weekend. I know Monaghan are the same. I think only backward setups are preventing lads playing.

Agree with that but Cavan and Monaghan are exceptions. Most county boards are facilitating county managers ruling the roost. I like Carew but he's dictating a lot at the minute. I don't know what the answer is but until clubs stand up for themselves (cos no-one in Croke park will do anything) then we will still be talking about clubs not being treated properly in 5 years time.

If we beat Ross on Sunday I'll change my opinion of course.  ;D

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Rossfan on June 06, 2016, 09:28:42 PM
I'm not sure who the "ye" are.
Bandwagon hoppers maybe go on like that but most real people knew different in 2016.

I'll give you (a) alright but our management and players fecked up rightly that night.
Hope next Sunday will get that awful night out of our system and send ye bucks back across the Corr Shliabh sadder and wiser ;D

You said the following after the NY manager had the gall to suggest they could beat Roscommon:

Quote from: Rossfan on April 28, 2016, 07:23:35 PM
These lads don't be long turning into Yanks :o blowing bullshit.
Hasta la victoria siempre

Syferus

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on June 07, 2016, 10:37:22 AM
Bandwagon hoppers maybe go on like that but most real people knew different in 2016.

I'll give you (a) alright but our management and players fecked up rightly that night.
Hope next Sunday will get that awful night out of our system and send ye bucks back across the Corr Shliabh sadder and wiser ;D

You said the following after the NY manager had the gall to suggest they could beat Roscommon:

Did you think any differently? New York shouldn't be beating anyone.

Rossfan

How much did NY win by????? ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

sligoman2

Quote from: Rossfan on June 07, 2016, 11:05:17 AM

How much did NY win by????? ;)

NY lost by exactly a quarter of what ye lost to us by last year.

Seriously though, I would expect Roscommon to win this game, but Sligo are always dangerous as underdogs.  As I said earlier, I have no information on how training is going, challenge matches, internal struggles etc so I'm just hoping for the best...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

weareros

Ah sure now lookit, when calling a game, you can adopt three different stances.
1) Seek the comfort of being underdog - "sure should we even bother showing up after the NY performance."
2) Sit on the fence - "Sligo/Ros games are always hard to call. Hard to know how it will go."
3) Call it as you see it - "Ros to win by 4."

#3 will always raise the antenna of the GAA man in the offended or neighboring county, unlocking the puritanical strain that lurks deep in the psyche of the GAA fraternity and they will love nothing better than to say "now what about that ye cocky bastards" and the supporter who stuck their neck out and got it wrong will be expected to self-flagellate themselves on the floor to the following day's Indo headline and the tanned one's twitter taunts.

Anyway despite the horror of the NY performance and the fact that Ros/Sligo games are hard to call, Ros to win by 4.

Syferus

If the lads can't muster something after last year's double c**k up and NY they're never going to do it. Hoping Cathal Shine starts and word is he's going well in training and is finally looking fully fit. I wonder what the chances of Enda Smith, Carty, Comp featuring off the bench are now they're fit again? Carty is some battler not to have thrown the towel in.

Cunny Funt

Sligos manager Niall Carew is confident ahead of Sundays encounter.

We can't wait for it. This is the game we're been looking forward to all year. Our preparations have always been about Roscommon. Bring it on at this stage.

We're in a better place than we were this time last year. We're a better team and we're better balanced. I'm very fortunate to have a very good panel of players. You'd go to war with theses lads and I'm looking forward to going to war again this Sunday.

We have a better championship record than Roscommon over the last few years we have the experience of reaching 3 Connacht finals in the last 6 years, this Roscommon team has yet to prove itself in the championship. We have proven ourselves. I'd be very disappointing if we don't win on Sunday.

Rossfan

Maybe we'd better give a walkover :)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

You'd never hear McFOD giving it gusto like that. Usually don't wish Sligo any ill but this year I hope to God we can hockey them.

sligoman2

What would you expect Carew to say - That we expect to get hammered?

If the manager shows no confidence in the team, then the team are done for.

I hope we are able to hang with ye for at least the first 15 minutes... :D :D :D :D :D
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

sligoman

Feeling pretty confident about this one, think the two teams are at a similar level despite what the Rossie think. It's hard to know whether we're a better team than last year. Ross Donovan and Kelly are huge losses but great to have McIntyre  back and good to have Charlie fit again.

The achilles heel of midfield still remains, ideally we'd like to free McDonnell up here to partner McIntyre but then we have a big gap at full back.

Pat Hughes is the key for us, if we can get good ball in for him then I don't think Roscommon have a back physically capable of stopping him. I also think we have an edge in mobility around the middle of the pitch, if we can hold our own on kickouts then I think we will shade it.

Syferus

Quote from: sligoman on June 07, 2016, 06:44:58 PM
Feeling pretty confident about this one, think the two teams are at a similar level despite what the Rossie think. It's hard to know whether we're a better team than last year. Ross Donovan and Kelly are huge losses but great to have McIntyre  back and good to have Charlie fit again.

The achilles heel of midfield still remains, ideally we'd like to free McDonnell up here to partner McIntyre but then we have a big gap at full back.

Pat Hughes is the key for us, if we can get good ball in for him then I don't think Roscommon have a back physically capable of stopping him. I also think we have an edge in mobility around the middle of the pitch, if we can hold our own on kickouts then I think we will shade it.

Collins is well able for Mr. Hughes. Sligo have a bit of ludraman for a manager and that's part of the reason I've every hope we'll out-fight Sligo on the field and out-think them off it. Has no clue how to adjust when plan A fails imho.