yes
18 (43.9%)
no
23 (56.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

pintsofguinness

Quote from: nifan on May 27, 2011, 02:30:20 PM
they cant all be lying? Maybe but they could be fooling themselves
I wouldn't say I was a firm believer, I suppose I'm open to the possibility but how do you explain two, three or larger groups of people seeing/hearing the same things? They can't all be fooling themselves in the very same way.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Forever Green on May 27, 2011, 10:22:13 PM
This is some weird shit right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZItov1BUo

I learnt my lesson years ago.  When I watch these videos I sit well back from the screen and expect something like that to happen.  Good try though.  ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 27, 2011, 10:54:10 PM
I wouldn't say I was a firm believer, I suppose I'm open to the possibility but how do you explain two, three or larger groups of people seeing/hearing the same things? They can't all be fooling themselves in the very same way.

I'm not a total sceptic but I'd treat a lot of those claims with a bit of caution.
Remember the moving statues episode in the 1980?
Tens of thousands of otherwise sane, logical individuals swore they could see statues of the BV moving about the country. Busloads would descend on some location or other because they heard a 'miracle' had happened there and sure enough,  the statue would oblige.
The craic was mighty for about a year or so until things returned to normal.
The conditions where there to spook some into believing that miracles were taking place and it was a case of Chinese whispering after that—somebody swore he/she saw something and told others who believed because they wanted to believe and  you soon had a snowballing effect.
I don't think there ever was an apparition at Knock or anywhere else for that matter.
But ESP is another matter.
I think human science and logic still hasn't reached the point where the full potential of the mind will have been discovered. I don't think progress will ever stop at a certain point where one can be confident that science can go no further.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

mylestheslasher

I'm not religious but I do believe there is something in the idea of ghosts. Don't know what they are or why they are here but there is something in it. I have a good friend whose house was haunted. Transparent figures standing in rooms, child running around corridors etc. Mad stuff. I know some will scoff but I am certain this friend would not make it up - in fact it is hard to get him to even talk about it (any story of ghosts comes up here would leave the room). An exorcism or some sort of religious prayer was carried out on the house and it all stopped which is something I don't understand either. Maybe its a trick of the mind but it seems strange that everyone in that house had a paranormal experience while in it.

ziggysego

Quote from: Hardy on May 27, 2011, 12:06:34 PM
No you didn't hear "the banshee". You see, there is no banshee.

Banshee is real. One of my experiences.
Testing Accessibility

ONeill

Fcuk sake Ziggy. It was a cat in heat.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Forever Green

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on May 28, 2011, 08:53:57 AM
Quote from: Forever Green on May 27, 2011, 10:22:13 PM
This is some weird shit right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfZItov1BUo

I learnt my lesson years ago.  When I watch these videos I sit well back from the screen and expect something like that to happen.  Good try though.  ;D

Good man for ruining it.

ziggysego

Quote from: ONeill on May 28, 2011, 11:03:50 PM
Fcuk sake Ziggy. It was a cat in heat.

She shoved me in the back and I fell over. (This was back in the time I could walk)
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 28, 2011, 10:54:38 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on May 27, 2011, 10:54:10 PM

I'm not a total sceptic but I'd treat a lot of those claims with a bit of caution.
Remember the moving statues episode in the 1980?
Tens of thousands of otherwise sane, logical individuals swore they could see statues of the BV moving about the country. Busloads would descend on some location or other because they heard a 'miracle' had happened there and sure enough,  the statue would oblige.
The craic was mighty for about a year or so until things returned to normal.
The conditions where there to spook some into believing that miracles were taking place and it was a case of Chinese whispering after that—somebody swore he/she saw something and told others who believed because they wanted to believe and  you soon had a snowballing effect.
I don't think there ever was an apparition at Knock or anywhere else for that matter.
But ESP is another matter.
I think human science and logic still hasn't reached the point where the full potential of the mind will have been discovered. I don't think progress will ever stop at a certain point where one can be confident that science can go no further.
yeah, I'd be sceptical of that type of thing, I think it'd be a mixture of people wanting to see something/wanting to part of the group/just mad in the head.
Like Myles though I know someone and their house was haunted and they'd also see and hear the same things, evening sitting together in the room they'd see/hear things going on that couldn't be explained and I'd have no reason to doubt them. 

ONeill

Again, I know a friend....

Can some hoor come on here and convince me they saw something they reckon had ghostly attributes?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2011, 11:14:28 AM
Again, I know a friend....

Can some hoor come on here and convince me they saw something they reckon had ghostly attributes?
How could they convince you? What evidence from them would you require?

ONeill

"They reckon" - rather easy - just tell the tale.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: ONeill on May 29, 2011, 11:20:00 AM
"They reckon" - rather easy - just tell the tale.
Ziggy has and you've ignored him.

Tubberman

Quote from: AbbeySider on May 27, 2011, 11:59:45 AM
I dont know about the above article, but myself and a friend heard the banshee one day while we were playing in a fairy fort that was also a children's grave yard (before they were allowed to be burried in consecrated ground).

Scarred the sh!t out of me...

I heard 'something' that scared the life out of me.
Our house is pretty isolated, lot of large trees and a river beside it.
One night (I was still in school at the time), I was out the back having a sneaky smoke, and then there was this spine-chilling scream/roar from over the wall - back towards the woods/river.
I have no idea what it was - the only thing I could think it mightbe would be an animal being killed. That or a banshee  ;)
Whatever it was, I dropped the fag and sprinted into the house as fast as I could.

Another night, I was walking home from a local pub with a gang of lads. We had been telling ghost stories all along the walk (about half a mile), and then I had to turn off at the crossroads and walk the rest of the way on my own (bout 1/4 mile).
The road I was walking along had no street lights and there was no traffic so it was pitch black apart from a small bit of light when the moon came out from behind the clouds.
As I was walking I could hear something walking beside me but I couldn't see anything. When I stopped, it stopped. Then I could hear this heavy breathing  :'( After the ghost stories I heard only a few mins earlier, this had me completely freaked out.
Then the moon came out, and I saw it was a friendly cow in the field that was just over the wall and walking alongside me. Never so glad to see a cow  :D

And our house at home is meant to be haunted - the old people used to say it was, before our family bought it.
By a headless horseman apparently - not very original really!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

J70

Quote from: Tubberman on May 29, 2011, 02:31:13 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on May 27, 2011, 11:59:45 AM
I dont know about the above article, but myself and a friend heard the banshee one day while we were playing in a fairy fort that was also a children's grave yard (before they were allowed to be burried in consecrated ground).

Scarred the sh!t out of me...

I heard 'something' that scared the life out of me.
Our house is pretty isolated, lot of large trees and a river beside it.
One night (I was still in school at the time), I was out the back having a sneaky smoke, and then there was this spine-chilling scream/roar from over the wall - back towards the woods/river.
I have no idea what it was - the only thing I could think it mightbe would be an animal being killed. That or a banshee  ;)
Whatever it was, I dropped the fag and sprinted into the house as fast as I could.

Another night, I was walking home from a local pub with a gang of lads. We had been telling ghost stories all along the walk (about half a mile), and then I had to turn off at the crossroads and walk the rest of the way on my own (bout 1/4 mile).
The road I was walking along had no street lights and there was no traffic so it was pitch black apart from a small bit of light when the moon came out from behind the clouds.
As I was walking I could hear something walking beside me but I couldn't see anything. When I stopped, it stopped. Then I could hear this heavy breathing  :'( After the ghost stories I heard only a few mins earlier, this had me completely freaked out.
Then the moon came out, and I saw it was a friendly cow in the field that was just over the wall and walking alongside me. Never so glad to see a cow  :D

And our house at home is meant to be haunted - the old people used to say it was, before our family bought it.
By a headless horseman apparently - not very original really!

And if the moon hadn't come out you'd be telling us another story to go with the rest of the ones on this thread that "can't/couldn't be explained"!!