The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gmac

Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2020, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 04, 2020, 03:04:10 PM
Quote from: Gmac on June 04, 2020, 02:22:00 PM
2 cops shot and one stabbed in the neck in Brooklyn  last night , looter stabbed first police officer and took his gun then shot at next 2 when they showed up thankfully  the cops will survive.

Just checked the front page of The NY Times online-nada

Don't worry, its on the main local NY page. None of the injuries were serious.

In case you really give a f**k...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/04/nyregion/nypd-officers-shot-brooklyn.html
oh great I'm sure the scum bag was aiming for their hands and was only shaving the cop.

joemamas

Quote from: sid waddell on June 04, 2020, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 03, 2020, 07:02:20 PM

So 24% of 6,000 people thought this........just over 1400.

And this study is linked to the 65m who voted for Trump? Right so.

I get you despise Trump and everything he stands for but there are other things at work here.

Is Trump to blame for the Rodney King riots?
What about the King assassination riots?
62.9 million voted for Trump, that's if you're to believe all his votes were actually legitimate ones.

The point of political science studies and polling is to extrapolate the views of larger groups of people by using representative sampling. And despite what some people might claim, it generally works very well.

You'll have to expand when you say that "there are other things at work here", I don't know what you mean by that.

I'm not sure what function your last two questions serve.

Amazingly enough, there was also massive and righteous anger felt within the black community after MLK was murdered and after the Rodney King verdict.

The same injustice and the same fights continue. Nothing has changed - except that in 1968 and 1992 there weren't presidents who were publicly mobilising white America to act as a racist lynch mob. There is in 2020.

Sid,

Good points,

What US state do you live in.

whitey

2 cops shot and one stabbed in the neck in Brooklyn  last night , looter stabbed first police officer and took his gun then shot at next 2 when they showed up thankfully  the cops will survive.

Did they have anything about the cop who got run over

Kyle Kashuv (@KyleKashuv) Tweeted:
Cop was just run over in NYC. Horriffic.
https://t.co/U8rtDQRMK1

J70

Quote from: whitey on June 04, 2020, 03:37:45 PM

I don't know, but I'm sure you're going through the internet with a fine toothcomb and  will tell us.

J70

Quote from: Gmac on June 04, 2020, 03:24:37 PM

oh great I'm sure the scum bag was aiming for their hands and was only shaving the cop.

I've made no comment defending this dirtbag.

He'll go away for a long time. I've no sympathy for him.

The point is, had the injuries been serious, this would have been far higher profile news, and not fuel for whitey's media-based political resentment.

joemamas

Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2020, 03:42:53 PM

I don't know, but I'm sure you're going through the internet with a fine toothcomb and  will tell us.

J70 as you seem to be an expert on all political matters
Any thoughts on your long-term Democratic congressman Eliot Engel.

sid waddell

Quote from: joemamas on June 04, 2020, 03:26:30 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 04, 2020, 12:41:10 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 03, 2020, 07:02:20 PM

So 24% of 6,000 people thought this........just over 1400.

And this study is linked to the 65m who voted for Trump? Right so.

I get you despise Trump and everything he stands for but there are other things at work here.

Is Trump to blame for the Rodney King riots?
What about the King assassination riots?
62.9 million voted for Trump, that's if you're to believe all his votes were actually legitimate ones.

The point of political science studies and polling is to extrapolate the views of larger groups of people by using representative sampling. And despite what some people might claim, it generally works very well.

You'll have to expand when you say that "there are other things at work here", I don't know what you mean by that.

I'm not sure what function your last two questions serve.

Amazingly enough, there was also massive and righteous anger felt within the black community after MLK was murdered and after the Rodney King verdict.

The same injustice and the same fights continue. Nothing has changed - except that in 1968 and 1992 there weren't presidents who were publicly mobilising white America to act as a racist lynch mob. There is in 2020.

Sid,

Good points,

What US state do you live in.
Are you saying that somebody has to live in the US to have a valid opinion on what's happening in the US and the nature of the ruling regime in the US?

Did you say the same about Nazi Germany, Soviet Russia, apartheid South Africa or Northern Ireland?

J70

Quote from: joemamas on June 04, 2020, 03:48:48 PM
Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2020, 03:42:53 PM

J70 as you seem to be an expert on all political matters
Any thoughts on your long-term Democratic congressman Eliot Engel.

1. I don't and have never claimed to be a expert on political matters.
2. Engel (NOT my congress person BTW) may lose his seat now. No sympathy for him. You can't treat your constituents so dismissively. I'm sure you'll be heartened to hear AOC is backing his primary challenger. I may contribute myself.

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2020, 01:22:00 PM

Did some NY Times/Post reporter stand you up on a date or laugh at your manhood at some point in the past?

You really do have a malign obsession with them. It appears to be the main foundation of your political worldview.

There are serious problems with the New York Times in particular though. Not only is it seeen as the bastion of establishment journalism, but it behaves as such. Long running establishment media organisations tend to have a subtle bias towards the ruling government and regime (you generally see this with the BBC), and this has been a big problem with the NY Times under Trump. It has consistently framed stories to his advantage, generally stayed away from the stories Trump wants hidden, uncritically reported his lies in a Laura Kuennsberg-style manner, and commissions some absolutely appalling opinion pieces, such as one today from Tom Cotton which calls for the effective abolition of the US constitution and the impostion of full blown authoritarianism.

My critique of the New York Times is nuanced as it does have some very good journalists and journalism, but at an editorial level in particular it has been shockingly soft on Trump, and a major enabler of his.

J70

Quote from: sid waddell on June 04, 2020, 04:03:28 PM

Did some NY Times/Post reporter stand you up on a date or laugh at your manhood at some point in the past?

You really do have a malign obsession with them. It appears to be the main foundation of your political worldview.

There are serious problems with the New York Times in particular though. Not only is it seeen as the bastion of establishment journalism, but it behaves as such. Long running establishment media organisations tend to have a subtle bias towards the ruling government and regime (you generally see this with the BBC), and this has been a big problem with the NY Times under Trump. It has consistently framed stories to his advantage, generally stayed away from the stories Trump wants hidden, uncritically reported his lies in a Laura Kuennsberg-style manner, and commissions some absolutely appalling opinion pieces, such as one today from Tom Cotton which calls for the effective abolition of the US constitution and the impostion of full blown authoritarianism.

My critique of the New York Times is nuanced as it does have some very good journalists and journalism, but at an editorial level in particular it has been shockingly soft on Trump, and a major enabler of his.

So whitey thinks they're the devil incarnate, vindictively biased against Trump and conservatism and the left-wing equivalent of the ludicrous, could-be-satirical-if-you-didn't-know-better One America Network; you feel they're too easy on Trump and enable him and his administration in their choice of coverage.

I do agree that Trump and his antics sucks all the air out of the room and do allow a lot of his administration's insidious policies to go relatively uncovered.

sid waddell

Quote from: J70 on June 04, 2020, 04:25:23 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on June 04, 2020, 04:03:28 PM

So whitey thinks they're the devil incarnate, vindictively biased against Trump and conservatism and the left-wing equivalent of the ludicrous, could-be-satirical-if-you-didn't-know-better One America Network; you feel they're too easy on Trump and enable him and his administration in their choice of coverage.

I do agree that Trump and his antics sucks all the air out of the room and do allow a lot of his administration's insidious policies to go relatively uncovered.
They're too deferent. By deferent, I simply mean that they tend to shy away from examining the really hard issues and asking the really hard questions which make a difference to ordinary people's lives. It's a problem I find with a lot of establishment US media and establishment media in general. Journalism should afflict the comfortable and comfort the afflicted and too often the New York Times just runs establishment framing which works against that. They're far from the only offender obviously, but in the US are the most notable offender.

You have to examine the structural frameworks through which this happens. The last two decades have seen swingeing cuts across the board in traditional journalism. This leads to a reduction in investigations, more opinion (opinion is about reaction), and a reduction in local news. All of these play into the hands of corruption and kleptocracy.

It also makes it harder for good people to get involved in journalism, those who are in it for the right reasons rather than those who are focussed on narrow careerisim. To get a foothold in national media now, and this is not just restricted to the US but is the case in the UK and Ireland and presumably most countries, you basically have to be privileged, or pretty well off. You need to have enough money to pay expensive course fees, to live during unpaid internships, you will probably need connections to even get an unpaid internship, you have to live in one of the major urban centres - and if you don't actually come from one of those major urban centres, that costs serious money. Being privileged or comfortable does not necessarily mean that one cannot be a good journalist, but it means that a much higher proportion of people entering it come from the same class as those they are supposed to be holding accountable. In general that tends to lead to stasis, inertia, a narrow career focus, and a lack of real curiousity or understanding of the real problems facing society and especially the marginalised. It means less diversity in journalism. It means that journalists in general may be more easily fobbed off by the powerful and a sort of revolving door type situation can emerge betweeen the worlds of politics, business and journalism, where they move in the same circles and unhealthy relationships emerge. Deference leads to false balance, where the "balance" is not operating in good faith and is pure disinformation.

The 24 hour nature of television news networks plays into Trump's hands, and the hands of demagogues in general. Why? Because they're "entertaining", and 24 hour news thrives on entertainment. Trump has run his candidacy and regime as a giant reality television show. Chaos sells. And the soap opera nature of it conceals the kleptocratic criminality of it with court intrigue and spectacle. Soap opera blinds people, confuses them, and destroys their concentration spans. Censorship through noise.

That isn't to say that cable news in the US is universally terrible - it isn't - Rachel Maddow in particular is a vital show - but the soap opera aspect of cable news far too often lets the real issues be obscured. And I'm only talking about good faith operators who live in a reality based world there. Fox is pure poison and an outright agent of fascism. US media has reached the stage that pretty much any outlet which has a pro-Republican editorial line now exists in a twilight zone of naked kleptocratic, racist and science-denying disinformation and propaganda, because Republican politics in general has made the choice that that's the zone it wants to exist in.

whitey

So J70-they have 3 articles relating to the police on the main webpage (2/3 have an unfavorable undertone IMHO), but not a word  about the 3 guys who got injured last night or the Attorneys who made bail for petrol bombing a cruiser and inciting others to do likewise.

You will probably disagree, but to me, they are blatantly trying to drive an anti police narrative here

Do you not think that the 2 stories which make the rioters/looters look bad should be given equal prominence?

dec

Quote from: whitey on June 04, 2020, 05:33:46 PM
So J70-they have 3 articles relating to the police on the main webpage (2/3 have an unfavorable undertone IMHO), but not a word  about the 3 guys who got injured last night or the Attorneys who made bail for petrol bombing a cruiser and inciting others to do likewise.

You will probably disagree, but to me, they are blatantly trying to drive an anti police narrative here

Do you not think that the 2 stories which make the rioters/looters look bad should be given equal prominence?

If a judge allows bail I don't see why posting bail is a problem

whitey

Quote from: dec on June 04, 2020, 06:02:46 PM
Quote from: whitey on June 04, 2020, 05:33:46 PM

If a judge allows bail I don't see why posting bail is a problem

Bail was opposed by the prosecutors

These 2  were Ivy League educated attorneys who if they have an active law license have a code of ethics to abide by

Firebombed a cop car and were distributing petrol bombs to others

Extremely serious charges