Galway v Monaghan, Super 8s Phase 3. 4/8/18. Pearse Stadium.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 25, 2018, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

Quote from: Captain Obvious on August 04, 2018, 07:39:51 PM
Well done to Monaghan after years of trying they are finally into the All Ireland semi for the first time since the 80s and have the bonus of avoiding Dublin in that semi final. They topped the group because they were the best team in that group is simple as that.

Not sure about that. Galway clearly at half pace. Doesn't mean Monaghan weren't the best team but Galway certainly not fully committed.

Wildweasel74

They look a better option than Tyrone or Donegal if they match up with Dublin in the final and have already beaten them this year@

Main Street

Quote from: Zulu on August 04, 2018, 07:43:30 PM
Well done to Monaghan after years of trying they are finally into the All Ireland semi for the first time since the 80s and have the bonus of avoiding Dublin in that semi final. They topped the group because they were the best team in that group is simple as that.

Not sure about that. Galway clearly at half pace. Doesn't mean Monaghan weren't the best team but Galway certainly not fully committed.
Best team in the group no question, can't you just admit it?

imtommygunn

I think Monaghan are equally as good as Galway at least. Galway very disappointing against Kildare.  I am not convinced they are the "real deal" yet but I guess we will see against Dublin. I would say Dublin will win by 5-10 points.

An all ulster semi... first time in a long time.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GalwayBayBoy

We were absolutely shite today. Didn't try a leg. Especially after half-time. Seen more intensity in some of our league games.

OK being half arsed today but they have to majorly turn that mindset around before next weekend.

Mayo Border

Not sure about that. Galway needed to win today to maintain momentum. Kevin Walsh has a Difficult job to lift this team over the next 6 days.

Main Street

Lovely feeling to be in the semi final, though I didn't think it would be so easy. Malachy set out the team to win the game with perfection, though the finishing from the players was far from perfect.
Galway were obviously caught in a conundrum which affected their game but I was happy enough that Monaghan would have been able to raise their game to beat whatever Galway could offer on the day

trileacman

Walsh should have played the b side. It was always going to be tough today and more likely they would lose. Far too much being made here of Galway being poor and Monaghan once more being great. Monaghan lost to Fermanagh let's not forget.

The telling difference between the sides was that Galway were playing a league match and Monaghan were piaying a championship match. That was the difference and Monaghan's greater intensity and hunger was particularly evident.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

imtommygunn

I don't get why Galway would play with so little intensity. Surely avoiding Dublin was a big prize?

I don't think they have a hope against Dublin.

Baile an tuaigh

I was impressed with Monaghans winning of the 50/50 balls. Very hard to stop passion. Over all they were more cohesive in their play. Galway hit some shocking wides maybe down to pressure being applied. I could watch Beggan,McManus,McAnespie and a few others on that Monaghan team all day. Great plsyers.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on August 04, 2018, 08:15:34 PM
I was impressed with Monaghans winning of the 50/50 balls. Very hard to stop passion. Over all they were more cohesive in their play. Galway hit some shocking wides maybe down to pressure being applied. I could watch Beggan,McManus,McAnespie and a few others on that Monaghan team all day. Great plsyers.

Not much flash to him but he gets plenty done.

straightred

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on August 04, 2018, 08:20:39 PM
Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on August 04, 2018, 08:15:34 PM

Not much flash to him but he gets plenty done.

4 points from play i think? McManus got plenty of help today and when that happens they are especially hard to beat. Hard to believe that the 4th smallest county in ireland will send minor and senior teams to an all ireland semi final

Cunny Funt

Congrats to Monaghan they are an example to a lot of the smaller counties to what can be done if they have the right manager/management in place to get the very best out of their players. They were a Div 3 team when O'Rourke arrived and didn't know if they were coming or going some improvement in the last 5 years!

Galway very flat today but it didn't help that their good forwards were totally marked out of the game. They should still give Dublin a better game than Kerry would have done and regardless should be happy with the progress they have made this year.

Zulu

Don't really know, but from what I've seen of Galway I thought they were half paced. Would love to see Monaghan win the All Ireland though so firmly on that bandwagon.