News of the World Hacking Scandal

Started by Tony Baloney, July 05, 2011, 08:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Have to buy a memento of this pillar of journalism and ethics on the last ever day of publication

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-to-close

"The News of the World has been News International's most profitable title for many years."
Gotcha!

I hope the Sun follows

Shamrock Shore

ExiledGael

Don't agree with the good riddance angle from some people to this. The more you think of it the whole thing is just another cynical, dispicable act from News International. They may have been waiting for an opportunity to streamline/axe jobs and go down the digital route or rebrand.
The real wrong-doers are protected by this smokescreen while thousands of people who never done a thing wrong will lose their jobs. The staff of the paper must be baying for blood, particularly Mrs Brooks. She must have the whole empire by the balls to be so heavily protected.
She probably knows enough to bring the whole lot of them down.

deiseach

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 07, 2011, 05:58:47 PM
Don't agree with the good riddance angle from some people to this. The more you think of it the whole thing is just another cynical, dispicable act from News International. They may have been waiting for an opportunity to streamline/axe jobs and go down the digital route or rebrand.
The real wrong-doers are protected by this smokescreen while thousands of people who never done a thing wrong will lose their jobs. The staff of the paper must be baying for blood, particularly Mrs Brooks. She must have the whole empire by the balls to be so heavily protected.

I don't think the Murdochs are viewing this as the opportunity they have been waiting for to freshen up the News of the World. I believe it's the most profitable paper News International has and you don't 'plan' to get shot of a 160+ year old brand. It's even mentioned in Juno and the Paycock. Future generations of Leaving Cert students will wonder what Captain Boyle means when he asks for it. Perhaps the Sacred Heart Messenger will benefit . . . so no, I wouldn't say this was planned, and that leads to your comment about Rebekah Brooks. As Diane Abbott has noted on Twitter, it's "Extraordinary that Murdoch is prepared to sacrifice #notw to protect Rebecca Wade". Extraordinary is right.

ExcellentDriver

Stand up for the Ulstermen!

muppet

Quote from: ExiledGael on July 07, 2011, 05:58:47 PM

Closing the News of The World is probably a decoy and a very expensive one at that. Murdock and co must know there is worse info out there. Brooks obviously knows so much she is unsackable. I'd say this story has more legs yet.
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on July 07, 2011, 05:38:15 PM
Have to buy a memento of this pillar of journalism and ethics on the last ever day of publication

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-to-close

"The News of the World has been News International's most profitable title for many years."
Gotcha!

I hope the Sun follows

You can still sign up free for a 4 week trail: http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/nol_public_news/1347103/News-International-today-announces-that-this-Sunday-10-July-2011-will-be-the-last-issue-of-the-News-of-the-World.html
MWWSI 2017

deiseach

Other than celebs like Bertie, does anyone know how big the Oirish edition of the NotW is? Any journalists that I might be bothered about?

David McKeown

Have a cousin who is doing an internship with News Corp and she was was saying the Notw staff stormed out of their offices earlier and were protesting quite loudly.  Wonder does that mean they arent planning on reinventing in a few weeks?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

The Worker

any chance of the sun newspaper following a similar path?

bcarrier

Quote from: The Worker on July 07, 2011, 07:09:54 PM
any chance of the sun newspaper following a similar path?

The Sun on Sunday ?

The Worker

Blowitupref

I once got a bag of chips in Liverpool wrapped in the News of the world paper does that count as buying the shit rag?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Ulick

Am I the only person who neither leaves nor listens to voicemail?

Capt Pat

Who would have thought that the organisation/people that stole tv football from children would be ultimately responsible for all this rubbish as well.