News of the World Hacking Scandal

Started by Tony Baloney, July 05, 2011, 08:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I would say Coulson will be the scapegoat, if that fails Brooks will go.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Cáthasaigh

The indignation on this thread is some craic. The press only got the phone transcripts through intelligence service contacts. All phone traffic is recorded and monitored yet people only react to that which they are conditioned to.
Demand a 32 County referendum for unity!

muppet

Quote from: Cáthasaigh on July 05, 2011, 11:11:16 PM
The indignation on this thread is some craic. The press only got the phone transcripts through intelligence service contacts. All phone traffic is recorded and monitored yet people only react to that which they are conditioned to.

Yes indeed, if it was Bono singing you would be jumping up and down with indignation, desolation, condemnation, isolation, so I'll let it go.

Hacking dead children's messages, nothing to see here for a fíor-Ghael.

People only react to that which they are conditioned to.
MWWSI 2017

LostInSpace

Surely there has to be a huge can of worms opened from this?  Nothing surprises me these days with the media.  I have seen first hand how they will do anything to print a story.  It makes me sick. 

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

AQMP

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 05, 2011, 08:33:43 PM
It gets worse and it is rumoured there is a lot more trouble for News Corp

Rebekah Brooks formerly Wade has quite a history as friends of those in power.  She was married to that great hard man of the East, Ross Kemp before she was famously arrested for beating him up

After which Private Eye referred to her as "the slapper"

AQMP

News International has announced that this Sunday's edition of the News of the World will be the last...

Good riddance.

ziggysego

Beat me to it. Hopefully it'll be the beginning of the end for Murdoch as well.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

The cynic would say it is just to pave the way for the BSKYB takeover, in that Murdoch has taken decisive action and the takeover may be now more palatable.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Tubberman

Was just about to post that - I'm glad. Sick behaviour that they got up to.
Pity the whole Murdoch empire didn't crumble.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ziggysego

It has been announced, there'll be no adverts.
Testing Accessibility

deiseach

Axing the News of the Screws! I did not see that coming. What an evil stroke by Murdoch, quickly and brutally removing the focal point for future anger at News International. You have to admire his cunning

AQMP

Quote from: ziggysego on July 07, 2011, 04:45:37 PM
Beat me to it. Hopefully it'll be the beginning of the end for Murdoch as well.

Zig, I expect the PCC will be wound up pretty quickly and to say the Metropolitan Police don't come out of this well is a bit of an understatement!  Murdoch is in survival mode (and seems to be protecting Brooks for the moment).  Cameron is up shit creek with a lollipop stick for a paddle, will be interesting to see how he gets himself out of this...probably will blame Clegg or Cable!  According to a couple of journos Andy Coulson is already resigned to the fact that he's going to do time.

ExiledGael

Is this anything more than a re-branding exercise?
Surely they'll re-open under another name, at the end of the day it was a business making serious money.