The Political History of Northern Ireland

Started by Lar Naparka, July 04, 2010, 11:57:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delboy

Quote from: Myles Na G. on July 04, 2010, 11:14:52 PM
Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 04, 2010, 10:42:06 PM
Sorry mate, but no suprise there. Israel, South Africa and Our Wee Country - basically a 'master race' mentality fighting an in-bred, criminal minority that needs to be 'gassed'. Their thoughts, not mine. I think that if you go back to a guy called Robert Bradford MP - assassinated by the Bon Jovies in 1981 - you will find the argument that NI Protestants are, infact, one of the lost tribes of Israel. Therefore, God's chosen people who, by some historical quirk, have ended up on 'Ulster' (I presume they took the wrong turn at Egypt). So, just as God has made them special, anything they do is justified as they are supreme and everyone else is scum. If you want to know how this theory played out in practice, well, you could look at employment statistics in the Six Counties from 1922 for a start. Indeed, put this to the test and walk down Royal Avenue on the Twelfth doing a collection for St. Vincent de Paul.
Some dick puts a flag up and you have 900,000 people thinking they're the master race.  :o
+1, catch yourself on.

ONeill

Quote from: fearglasmor on July 05, 2010, 08:18:47 AM
If you are not contented with your station in life you are going to hate someone. Just human nature.

You can be content with your station personally but have major poliitcal misgivings. Or you can just hate the sight of the peelers cos they're overfed.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

nifan

Quote from: orange2009 on July 04, 2010, 10:01:46 PM
I dont want this post to sound offensive, and dont want to tar everyone with the same brush, but I'm just dumbfounded by it!

Im dumfounded too, though you cant legislate for stupidity, or some dumb p***k who thinks anything with a union jack on it is cool

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hurler on the Bitch on July 04, 2010, 10:42:06 PM
Sorry mate, but no suprise there. Israel, South Africa and Our Wee Country - basically a 'master race' mentality fighting an in-bred, criminal minority that needs to be 'gassed'. Their thoughts, not mine. I think that if you go back to a guy called Robert Bradford MP - assassinated by the Bon Jovies in 1981 - you will find the argument that NI Protestants are, infact, one of the lost tribes of Israel. Therefore, God's chosen people who, by some historical quirk, have ended up on 'Ulster' (I presume they took the wrong turn at Egypt). So, just as God has made them special, anything they do is justified as they are supreme and everyone else is scum. If you want to know how this theory played out in practice, well, you could look at employment statistics in the Six Counties from 1922 for a start. Indeed, put this to the test and walk down Royal Avenue on the Twelfth doing a collection for St. Vincent de Paul.
careful, pointing out what actually happened will send the apologists and excuse brigade into overdrive as has already started !!
you could include more as in the teatment of nationalists, the oppressive antics of the establishment, the persecution enforced by ruc and b 'specials' etc.
But mention this behavious as having caused civil rights marches and you will have some fools denying that these people were looking for a solution to the regieme modeled or at least giving a nod to the wonderful south african system!
by denying this is a further insult to those killed on bloody sunday and the hundreds of thousands persecuted - let alone the hundreds of thousands more whose lives were destroyed by it...(but others still seek to say that nationalists/republicans caused more damage than the oppressors ????!!! ::)~)

Hereiam

Can the title of this thread be changed to "The political history of the North of Ireland" as Northern Ireland does not exist

Zapatista

Quote from: Hereiam on July 05, 2010, 11:20:29 AM
Can the title of this thread be changed to "The political history of the North of Ireland" as Northern Ireland does not exist

Feck me. Where was I yesterday :o ???

delboy

What about changing it to the political history of the north west of Britian  ::)

Banana Man

QuoteQuote from: Hereiam on Today at 11:20:29 AM

What about changing it to the political history of the north west of Britian   

Because we are discussing Ireland not Scotland and her outlaying Islands, in case it failed your attention IReland isn't in Britain or do you not recognise the likes of the British and Irish Lions Rugby tour???

delboy

Quote from: Banana Man on July 05, 2010, 01:05:09 PM
QuoteQuote from: Hereiam on Today at 11:20:29 AM

What about changing it to the political history of the north west of Britian   

Because we are discussing Ireland not Scotland and her outlaying Islands, in case it failed your attention IReland isn't in Britain or do you not recognise the likes of the British and Irish Lions Rugby tour???

Alright then just for you then can we change it to the 'politcal history of the north west of the united kingdom'  :-*

Although actually we are discussing Northern Ireland (the clue is in the title) anything else is simply peurile point scoring.

Lar Naparka

Well, I had thought about this matter alright but I decided to use the term, "Northern Ireland," instead of Ulster or The Six Counties or whatever as I felt it would be the one least likely to upset anyone.
Down south, I feel most of the general public would speak of Northern Ireland or more simply, The North, without any sort of political or religious overtones.
I really have no reservations about changing its name to anything else as long as I don't cause unintentional offence to anybody from any sector of the community "Up (Down?) There." ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

I think the fact that people can't even agree on the name of the place sums it up perfectly.
MWWSI 2017

Zapatista

Quote from: muppet on July 05, 2010, 01:47:05 PM
I think the fact that people can't even agree on the name of the place sums it up perfectly.

If it could only be as simple as the free state ;)

ONeill

We can all agree that you're a feckin muppet.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on July 05, 2010, 02:58:00 PM

We can all agree that you're a feckin muppet.

The point being that if both sides can't even agree on a name, it is unlikely there will be agreement on an entire history, is there?
MWWSI 2017

ziggysego

The only thing that annoyed me, is referring to Britain as the 'Mainland'. I mean, Unionist or not, get over your inferiority complex!
Testing Accessibility