Under-rated Irish Scenery

Started by omagh_gael, April 01, 2010, 09:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

We've all heard of the cliffs of Moher, giants causeway and the ring of Kerry. All beautiful places with stunning scenery. However, there are many hidden gems throughout Ireland that many of us wouldn't be aware of.

My particular favourite is a drive up through Donegal into Glenveigh national park, through Gweedore up round the bloody foreland until Dunfanaghy. If you follow the signs to 'Horn Head Scenic Drive' you'll come across the spectacular cliffs shown below. I never knew these existed until i stumbled upon them on the aforementioned drive. Stunning.

Any other lesser known sites around our country that would be worth a visit?

Horn Head

Horn Head

Bloody Foreland

Glenveigh National Park

ziggysego

Quote from: omagh_gael on April 01, 2010, 09:58:40 AM
My particular favourite is a drive up through Donegal into Glenveigh national park, through Gweedore up round the bloody foreland until Dunfanaghy. If you follow the signs to 'Horn Head Scenic Drive' you'll come across the spectacular cliffs shown below. I never knew these existed until i stumbled upon them on the aforementioned drive. Stunning.

I love that part of the world too. Beautiful part of the country.

Couple of years ago I spent a weekend in Dunlewey, which is at Mount Errigal. Amazing scenary around there.
Testing Accessibility

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

omagh_gael

glens abu

That part of Donegal is spectacular,another great drive is from Cong through leenane up into Westport

Canalman

Omagh Gael I think that the areas you describe are well known beauty spots.

For me the 3 underrated places are

1 Slieve Bloom mountains
2 Featherbeds in the Dublin Mountains
3 Glencree..... especially the German military cemetery

Nicest place in Ireland imo is the area in Connemara near Kylemore Abbey.

omagh_gael

OK, something a bit more obscure would be the Gortin Lakes area in Tyrone

ziggysego

Quote from: Canalman on April 01, 2010, 10:36:10 AM

So I hear, but everything I go it is bucketing down with rain and the fog comes racing down the mountains.

So I've been there several times, but never actually seen it.
Testing Accessibility

boojangles

I used to travel a bit through somewhere along the Mayo/Sligo border, I think it was driving from Bonniconlon towards Aclare. Totally wild,unspoilt scenery. You come across the most picturesque lake and mountainous views. Any boys from the west familiar?

Ulick

The back road between Falcarragh and Gortahork has some stunning views out over the bay.

Hardy

I spent last weekend in the Glen Of Aherlow (home of the famous Glen Boys as in Eddie Moroney's "c'man Aherla, c'man de glen bies"). It's a beautiful and much-overlooked part of the country.

bingobus

I don't honestly get Scenery all that much, sure its nice but two seconds later I'd be like, "ok what happens now"

Orior

Quote from: bingobus on April 01, 2010, 12:23:56 PM
I don't honestly get Scenery all that much, sure its nice but two seconds later I'd be like, "ok what happens now"

Give that boy back his Playstation
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Canalman on April 01, 2010, 10:36:10 AM

Area around Kylemore is fantastic alright. Like a cross between Hogwarts and Jurassic Park. Haven't been there in years though. When you were a young it was like something out of a fairytale.

bingobus

Quote from: Orior on April 01, 2010, 12:28:54 PM
Quote from: bingobus on April 01, 2010, 12:23:56 PM

Give that boy back his Playstation

Maybe I'm too used to nice views. The view from the home place was always considered "spectatular", a bit like Omagh Gaels 3rd Pict with a lake thrown in and the Mourne's in the distance.