Laois Senior Football Championship 2018

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, March 09, 2018, 12:46:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jd

Can't see ODempseys troubling any of the stronger teams based on last night's performance Emo were limited but gave them plenty of problems. O D goal came from a speculative ball in from emo which would have brought it back to 1 point. Hit the post or dropped short (can't remember) and od's went the length and scored a great goal.
Both sides defences good but only Hatch Finlay and Mark Barry showed anything in forwards.  Overall a poor enough game.

Chrimtain

Based on today's performance, there is no team in Laois good enough to halt Portlaoise. The question for them, is how far can they go in Leinster. Gareth Dilon was very impressive today. He seems to be getting better as he gets older. Very disappointed in Ballyroan.

Laoiseabu

Portlaoise won't be stopped in Laois no point saying anything else . I'd like to see them really go at Leinster this year . Still 3 or 4 faces  to return to the team aswell that weren't on show today. The big question is whether they are so strong or the rest of the teams are so poor?

Chrimtain

In fairness, Portlaoise are good. However, there are doubts that Glynn and Cahalane wll be available for a tilt at Leinster.

I thought Scully looked good for Ballyroan. He seems to be able to carry the ball well and possesses a fair bit of strength. He also seems to be tough in the tackle. ;)

Unlaoised

Clonaslee gone ...that will surely be the end of that madness with annanough

4 points flattered clonaslee ballyfin should won it by more always in control

Strabally slightly unlucky against joes greg ramsbottom had great chance to sneak it ..

I said portlaoise would win every game by at least ten points ...so far ive been right
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

I suspect that Clonaslee Annanough thing is up in a dung heap now ? Never was gonna be a success. You'd be worried about the future of football in Clonaslee , dosent seem to be any real structure in place up there .

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Replay Fixture: 19/09/2018

Killeshin v Graiguecullen
O Moore Park  @19:45
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

Portlaoise destroyed Ballyroan yesterday with their off the ball running and angles. It was a pleasure to watch. The end result could have been anything they wanted it to be. The second game was poor. Stradbally were kept going by Begley, Buggie and Dillon who carried what looked like a very unfit team. Josephs moved the ball just that little bit easier and scores came quicker as a result. In my opinion, they are a poor side though.

I think a feature of the weekend matches was the difference being involved with the county makes. Those involved with the county looked sharper and more capable of influencing games. It wasn't always as obvious before Sugrue came along. You would hope that lads buy in to the proposed area games and put their hand up for future selection onto the panel. I think we have a coach now who can improve players individually and this can only be of benefit to their clubs

Chrimtain

Are there players who have not been involved with Laois catching they eye, though? What about Saubders of Portlaoise, Scully of Ballyroan, Daly of St Joseph's and Dillon of Stradbally? Any others?

Chrimtain

https://www.laoistoday.ie/2018/09/17/details-announced-for-new-divisional-football-championship-in-laois/

This is very interesting and innovative. I hope it attracts the interest of the players. It is interesting that the public are invited to come along and view the matches. Hopefully the process will throw up some good talent.

The PRO

Thought Joseph's made hard work of a very poor Strad team who played half the game with 14 after Kavanagh's stupid red.
Take Begley out and they'd be a fair bad team. Young Deegan?
midfielder might have something about him.
Town look unstoppable.

Chrimtain

I thought Deegan looked decent too. Hopefully, the likes of Deegan will benefit from Sugrue's idea.

Jd

Can anyone stop Portlaoise ???? ........ Nope!!!
Joe's are strong defensively but just don't offer enough going forward to outscore them O Dempseys looked poor enough against Emo and Portlaoise are a long way better than Emo. Killeshin will be the next team to challenge Portlaoise but not this year. Give them two or three years and they'll mature nicely. Graigue are Graigue sometimes sublime other times not. So depressingly enough I think Portlaoise will cruise this. Hopefully one of those teams will ram my words back down my throat

BallyroanAbu

Portlaoise were awesome their power and pace blew us away.  I don't know if many of you rate BallyroanAbbey but we did put it a fair effort this year that can be built on.  However yesterday we found out where the standard is and it's high!  Portlaoise are an extremely athletic and well conditioned team, I would actually say their football lets them down abit.  But make no bones about it they are getting stronger their juvenile setup is irrelevant all they need is one or two chaps buying into their culture (which they have created) every year and this will be relentless.  Our only option is to try get to that level of fitness, personally my thoughts are that for anyone playing with Portlaoise it is a life choice as the required training levels are huge.  The only thing that surprises me is that they don't have more with the county. 

Your talking 4 or 5 nights a week training be it individual or collective.

Laoiseabu

Had a close look at Portlaoise on Sunday and I noticed when a portlaoise foward  has the ball all the other fowards are constantly moving and creating space and passing options for each other . Always seems to be a man or two or three on the shoulder every time too even when running through in the final third for a score . Must be very hard to defend against . I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the championship they hit a team for 5or 6 goals and could of had that many in the first half alone yesterday