Laois Intermediate Football Championship 2018

Started by The PRO, July 11, 2018, 11:19:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Don Draper on October 01, 2018, 01:31:45 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on October 01, 2018, 12:51:32 PM
One thing that should be said about the final is - ah here, no, feck it, YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
Sorry. 🙂
I'd say The Fishermans Monday Club is at bursting point today.
Jd is right there Don. The Fisherman's is our version of a tourist trap. The Furlong is the spit and sawdust that we're used to.🙂
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

The PRO

Quote from: Keyser Söze on September 29, 2018, 09:29:53 PM
Delighted for Courtwood, and delighted for the integrity of the IFC.
Mountmellick are reaping what they sowed.

They have essentially become sellswords, to use a certain lingo!
I was glad Courtwood won too but I can understand what Mountmellick did.
They always had the Reddins. Next thing as part of the rule that allows the Reddins to play with them along come 2 fine players in the Mullaneys. You wouldn't turn them away.
That said, and I'm almost contradicting myself here, maybe 2 lads from the town would have done as much as or more than Ryan and James?
The main problem, as I see it, is that the 4 lads can't play league and essentially only join the set up in July. Could that pose problems for team morale?
On Courtwood, very impressed with some of their lesser known players. O'Halloran at 4 was the free man at times when MM had a sweeper and was really good. Conor Hogan had a big game on Coss in midfield. But what can you say about Donoher? He was just incredible. Eoin George will be having nightmares about him.
Courtwood in senior next year? Not so sure they'll be the instant success some seem to think. Massive step up for a very young team. We shall see. I doubt it's on their minds tonight!

jimbob2

Mountmellick primary school always had a male teacher who was passionate about GAA and drove the passion for years and produced a lot of top under-age teams, in my day it was the great Kerry man Mick Lenihan. Now most primary school teachers are female and less interested in GAA and not just in mountmellick. Add health an safety to the mix and a lot of Principles get nervous about letting children be children, we got to play before school started at dinner break and in the evening some times in a confined concrete yard that wouldn't be allowed now.. Success drives a club and a County and courtwood got a good mix of young and experienced players committed under a former Laois trainer who played a huge part in their sharpness this year, the best of luck to them in Leinster.

Dwayne Johnston

Well done to Courtwood, shows what can be done when a club puts the work into their juveniles. Mountmellick seemed to have no game plan for their forwards. The primary school in mountmellick has over 240 boys and so should have roughly 60 u12s each year and yet they're still only competing at B level. The county board must intervene as the club themselves seem to lack any ambition to compete at the top.

Don Draper

Quote from: Dwayne Johnston on October 03, 2018, 11:45:48 PM
Well done to Courtwood, shows what can be done when a club puts the work into their juveniles. Mountmellick seemed to have no game plan for their forwards. The primary school in mountmellick has over 240 boys and so should have roughly 60 u12s each year and yet they're still only competing at B level. The county board must intervene as the club themselves seem to lack any ambition to compete at the top.
Surely if anyone is biased when it comes to Mountmellick, then it's The Rock?

Jd

Only 240 kids in mm  primary  school??,
Over 400 in Killenard and 600 in Port Emo have 200 + and Ruth over 200.  Not the  clubs fault but are kids going to outlying  schools such as the rock and ballyfin  or something.

clonadmad

Quote from: Jd on October 04, 2018, 10:10:22 AM
Only 240 kids in mm  primary  school??,
Over 400 in Killenard and 600 in Port Emo have 200 + and Ruth over 200.  Not the  clubs fault but are kids going to outlying  schools such as the rock and ballyfin  or something.

I think he said 240 Boys

Turnofpace88

Should still be stronger and be able to produce at least some A teams at underage level they don't have a lot coming through by the looks of it to prop up their intermeidate team which could get them stuck in the grade like Timahoe!

Jd

From the Terrace

Courtwood were brilliant. Created great scores were great to watch. Oflynn is a serious talent. Was impressed with dunne & cian Doyle too sharp forwards. Augers well for laois football. Really impressed these young lads worked there scores instead of shooting from stupid angles.

Jd

Was that Luke Doyle  who was  brought  on at the very end.  He's a serious footballer  but is always getting injured.  Hope he's  fixed now cos he'll  be a serious  asset to courtwood  in the senior  next year. Almost  county standard  before injury maybe things aren't  so grim as we thought in regards  to lads coming  through for county  panels from underage

Laois Rising

I think a bit of perspective is needed. These lads are all fine footballers but the litmus test is when they face a Portlaoise side in championship football. Too many players have been talked up this year as potential county standard only to be blown away by their direct marker when they faced Portlaoise in the championship. What this year's championship has shown that there are plenty of good footballers in Laois at senior and intermediate level but very few outstanding or really top level footballers. You'd be hoping that a couple of these lads will be able to make the step up with proper coaching and exposure to high level football. At present our club championship doesn't provide this-reason why I hope the regional competition starting in a few weeks really takes off. The only way of truly progressing players is by playing games regularly at a higher competitive level. If players and clubs buy into it it has huge potential for player development.       

Laoiseabu

Laois Rising u hit the nail on the head. Good post

Heshs Umpire

Quote from: Laois Rising on October 05, 2018, 11:34:55 AM
I think a bit of perspective is needed. These lads are all fine footballers but the litmus test is when they face a Portlaoise side in championship football. Too many players have been talked up this year as potential county standard only to be blown away by their direct marker when they faced Portlaoise in the championship. What this year's championship has shown that there are plenty of good footballers in Laois at senior and intermediate level but very few outstanding or really top level footballers. You'd be hoping that a couple of these lads will be able to make the step up with proper coaching and exposure to high level football. At present our club championship doesn't provide this-reason why I hope the regional competition starting in a few weeks really takes off. The only way of truly progressing players is by playing games regularly at a higher competitive level. If players and clubs buy into it it has huge potential for player development.     
Can't disagree with much of that but at the same time you can't stop people trying to identify a lad or two that might be capable of the step up. Isn't it a part of what we all are, that hope that there's a few diamonds in the rough out there waiting to be discovered.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore