Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

Gaelgoir, hate to break it to u but ur doing the same pace on the flat as u are on the seriously uphill!

It sounds like ur flying it, a marathon in 2013 would be well within ur reach. I'd recommend joining a running club, speed track sessions, hill sessions will all bring you on heaps coupled with stretching out the longer runs over time
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on January 07, 2013, 09:39:58 PM
A couple of things,  i have gone from nearly 15 stone, down to 13.5 now, this is in the space of 7 months of running. I have to say i wouldn't like to lose any more anymore.

Over the Christmas, i went against all my objectives and am thinking of doing a marathon in 2014 i'd say. I am up to 12 miles a week, 2 boot camps and one hour spinning.

Are marathons tough out, i personally feel i have good distance in my legs, but my speed is slow, so i guess a marathon would suit me. I can do 7 miles (11.5 K) on the flat in just under the hour, and 9k seriously uphill road in 45-47 mins.

Any advice to get the ball rolling. Thanks

Finally, taking up serious exercise is the best thing i have ever done!

As Mayo4sam has said you are bang for a Marathon this year never mind 2014. This time last year, i was where you are now. Had a few months running done and my times were decent, just ahead of yourself but it was clear that the miles where in the legs with a bit of encouragement.

Last spring I stepped up the variation in the runs - hill work, intervals and added a few miles to the runs, kept the frequency going. I still hadn't looked at doing a marathon. In the summer I started doing longer runs with a half marathon thrown in and it went well and decided I'd do Dublin. About 3 months out, i used one of Hal Hidgons training plans for the marathon and used that to hit the long runs.

Worked well and I done Dublin last October. You're well on the run to doing one this year.

bamboo

I started the couch-2-5k last summer, from basiacally zero fitness,  and eventually got there. Prior to Christmas i was doing 3 or 4 5k runs a week.

I've done 5 already since the start of the year and am hoping to do 30 in jan, i'll have to do a double run some days to catch up. I'm splitting the runs between treadmill/roads and can do 27 mins outdoor. I'm hoping to get that below 25 by the end of the month.

As well as the running i also had a massive overhaul of my diet. I was tipping 17st at the start( 5ft 10) and am now just below 14st. I cut out 95% of my beer/cider intake and stick to the spirits now. Crisps, takeaways and other rubbish foods have gone too.

For this year i want to get min under 25mins for 5k and under 60mins for 10k. A half marathon would be the biggest of my aims at the minute, possibly later in the year with a 10k done around April time.

I find the 5k's ok but dont feel i have that much more in me. Yet. Smoking doesn't help but i'm aiming to cut those down too before phasing them out completely.

One problem i do have which has only started recently and only happens outdoors is that i get a bad stictch after a few k that can stay with me, come and go or go completely. It affects my times obviously and sometimes gets so bad that i have to stop before starting up again. I don't eat too much or too close to running or drink any fizzy drinks so not sure whats the reason. Any of you pro's have any ideas?

Also, although the 30 5k's a month sounds good on paper and is definately achievable for me, am i better off changing methods to get quicker times and longer distances?

Sorry for the long winded post but you brought it on yourselves by talking about running so much and keeping me motivated since the summer!!

Any help would be appreciated.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bamboo on January 08, 2013, 07:19:15 PM
I started the couch-2-5k last summer, from basiacally zero fitness,  and eventually got there. Prior to Christmas i was doing 3 or 4 5k runs a week.

I've done 5 already since the start of the year and am hoping to do 30 in jan, i'll have to do a double run some days to catch up. I'm splitting the runs between treadmill/roads and can do 27 mins outdoor. I'm hoping to get that below 25 by the end of the month.

As well as the running i also had a massive overhaul of my diet. I was tipping 17st at the start( 5ft 10) and am now just below 14st. I cut out 95% of my beer/cider intake and stick to the spirits now. Crisps, takeaways and other rubbish foods have gone too.

For this year i want to get min under 25mins for 5k and under 60mins for 10k. A half marathon would be the biggest of my aims at the minute, possibly later in the year with a 10k done around April time.

I find the 5k's ok but dont feel i have that much more in me. Yet. Smoking doesn't help but i'm aiming to cut those down too before phasing them out completely.

One problem i do have which has only started recently and only happens outdoors is that i get a bad stictch after a few k that can stay with me, come and go or go completely. It affects my times obviously and sometimes gets so bad that i have to stop before starting up again. I don't eat too much or too close to running or drink any fizzy drinks so not sure whats the reason. Any of you pro's have any ideas?

Also, although the 30 5k's a month sounds good on paper and is definately achievable for me, am i better off changing methods to get quicker times and longer distances?

Sorry for the long winded post but you brought it on yourselves by talking about running so much and keeping me motivated since the summer!!

Poor warm up or going too fast at the start, theres a good link below to the BBC health page and it has a couple of theories. Been very lucky to not get them but I'd say stay off the fags and spirits while running :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4275830.stm

That's good running from zero fitness and the weight you were dealing with. All that stuff you have said is very achievable I'd say. Just keep her lit!!

If you feel you have nothing in you after 5K next night try 6K and just build it up from there
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

Good man D, fair play you're well on the track to better times and longer runs. I'd push the length of the runs out a bit, push to 6km on regular basis, even if it means slowing down and not worrying about the time as much.

I'd also give yourself a goal and find a local 5km race at the end of January, you'll always nail your time in a race and take time off your training run if you approach it right.

Not sure on the stitches. One of lucky runners here told me to stretch your side when running if the stitch appears but I've not had the problem. I'm told its often something you eat ahead of the run but not much help.

You've a right bit done and could look at varying the runs to help the speed work if you looking to stay at the distance - hill runs, interval runs etc. but I'd build up the distance first.

No big deal for you quiting the beer or cider as you could drink none anyway!!  ;)

Mayo4Sam

Bamboo, like the lads said I'd look at pushing one of those runs a week out, slow the pace and add maybe 1k every week, or whatever u feel comfortable with, don't time it just concentrate on getting the distance, just a light jog is good but crank up the k's.

The other thing I'd suggest is intervals, so ur looking for 5min/k in the race, so maybe try 5-6mins at 5:30/5:45 pace, then 2/3 mins of walking or if ur able a light jog, repeat that maybe once, twice if ur able. Obviously warm up before. Do that once a week and try and build up to 12/15mins x 3, you'll be flying.

Mayo4Sam

Oh and give up the f**king fags!
Nine years ago this week for me, by far the best decision I ever made

bamboo

Thanks for the replies and the messages lads, (apart from Bingo who's a knob!), will try and take it all on board.

Done a fairly slow and easy 5k on the 'mill today, legs were heavy to be honest, but will be back on the roads in the morning and will try and slow it down a bit and stretch it out to 6k min. When you guys speak of a proper warm up what exactly are you talking about? I do the basic simple stretches but that's about it.

There's actually a parkrun set up a mile up the road and i've registered along with 2 mates and we're hoping to get going regularly from Feb onwards. They're off on hols at the minute but i'll probably try one out this month, poss this Saturday if i feel up for it. There's an average of 160 go there weekly and the slowest times are around the 40 min mark so i'm fairly optimistic that i won't be last!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bamboo on January 09, 2013, 09:52:43 PM
Thanks for the replies and the messages lads, (apart from Bingo who's a knob!), will try and take it all on board.

Done a fairly slow and easy 5k on the 'mill today, legs were heavy to be honest, but will be back on the roads in the morning and will try and slow it down a bit and stretch it out to 6k min. When you guys speak of a proper warm up what exactly are you talking about? I do the basic simple stretches but that's about it.

There's actually a parkrun set up a mile up the road and i've registered along with 2 mates and we're hoping to get going regularly from Feb onwards. They're off on hols at the minute but i'll probably try one out this month, poss this Saturday if i feel up for it. There's an average of 160 go there weekly and the slowest times are around the 40 min mark so i'm fairly optimistic that i won't be last!

A basic warm up would be a gentle jog and stretch before you actually start your 5K, then you can set your watch and time it from there. The park run warm up is usually a 1 k run before you start, hard to do when you have an early start in this weather but fairly opens the lungs and heart rate is going.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

moysider

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 08, 2013, 08:41:09 PM

Poor warm up or going too fast at the start, theres a good link below to the BBC health page and it has a couple of theories. Been very lucky to not get them but I'd say stay off the fags and spirits while running :P
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4275830.stm

That's good running from zero fitness and the weight you were dealing with. All that stuff you have said is very achievable I'd say. Just keep her lit!!

If you feel you have nothing in you after 5K next night try 6K and just build it up from there

Easier said than done. At least the man is sticking with it and its better to do a bit while still having a drink and a smoke than not doing anything at all. Gradual change is more likely to succeed.
The stitch is just lack of fitness and that will resolve itself with time and increased fitness.
If you Bamboo want too lose a few more pounds then long slower runs will serve you better. You re stitching because you re looking at times you are not able to do yet.  Forget about 5 K targets and that shite and just get to enjoy running. You ll beat yourself up otherwis and then end up leaving it there and end up drinking more scrumpy than ever. Do some lonnng slowww runs. Thats the way to burn fat and you ll get a better buzz from it too. Go for an hour and forget the distance and build from there. Put in some faster, shorter ones if you have to. But running slower for longer is what you need to be doing now. If you get that right then the 5, 10k and half marathon will happen. Can t rush it. And you can still have the odd pint and burn as well.
Also try to run in a group if you can. It s better fun and more likely to stick it longterm.

Mayo4Sam

Some of ye more experienced running lads might be able to answer this.
I'm looking to do a sub 20min 5k, if I'm doing 12x400m on the track with half the run time as a rest, ie 90sec 400m, 45 sec rest. What sort of times do I need to get to for this.
There may or may not be a straight forward answer to this!
Cheers

Bingo

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 10, 2013, 08:54:22 AM
I'm looking to do a sub 20min 5k, if I'm doing 12x400m on the track with half the run time as a rest, ie 90sec 400m, 45 sec rest. What sort of times do I need to get to for this.
Cheers

I've broke 20mins once and came close on several other occasions.

When I was doing the 400m reps i was averaging round 1.30m - 1.35m for time. My recovery was 400m again, never walked, always light jog. I was told by someone more experienced to do it at a pace that will ensure the first run is the same as the last run and all in between are same, so consistancy if the key for each rep.

I' have Reps tonight but the group is using a different approach - 2mins on, 2mins off. I'll set my own target for the 2mins in that and try and hit it everytime.

I'd be fairly inexperienced and some others may know more but I'd think at those times you'd be close to sub 20m.

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on January 10, 2013, 08:54:22 AM
Cheers
That would be on course for a sub 20 if you were able to rull out 12x400m in 90 seconds and then 45 seconds of a rest. Try to have the first and last interval at the same pace, even spread throughout the session. I'd mix a few 1KM interval sessions too if you can...Bit of a fartlek would be helpful too..1On/30seconds off....2Mins On/1 Off....3Mins On/2 Off(Killer of a session), bit of a change rather than doing all track work.

imtommygunn

What I've done in the past and it's worked well is to work off 2 minutes.

400s should be race pace - for a 20 minute 5k bang on this would be 96 seconds. So you should do 96 for your 400(+/-1 second) and rest for 24 seconds then repeat this. Start at 8 or so and build up to about 16. You should be reasonably comfortable with these.

An alternative would be 3 x 1 mile with about 90 seconds rest in between at race pace. You'll get this tight in the last rep particularly.

Both the above should work well. 24 seconds maybe doesn't sound like much but you've got no breaks in your race... (6:24 or so would be your mile time)

Mayo4Sam

I'm not doing all track just that was the session on Tuesday and its fresh in my mind, was doing 92/93 consistently for all 12 off 2:15, so close!