Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Completed my third parkrun today.

45 seconds slower than my PB. Blaming age.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Orior

Quote from: Orior on December 22, 2012, 05:48:32 PM

My fourth Parkrun today, and a new personal best! However still havent broken 25 mins for 5km which is embarrassingly poor.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ballinaman

Quote from: Orior on December 25, 2012, 03:40:17 PM

My fourth Parkrun today, and a new personal best! However still havent broken 25 mins for 5km which is embarrassingly poor.
well done, keep her lit and you'll get there soon enough. 4 mile race tomorrow, should be interesting after the dinner and 4 desserts today!

Milltown Row2

Time will keep coming down,  keep at it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

muppet

Fcuk the olympians here, well done. 25 for 5k is great and I would be very happy with that. I had to quit in the early summer due to a knee problem, having got up to 4k quickly. I started again recently but still haven't even done a 5k slowly. But I'll get there.
MWWSI 2017

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on December 25, 2012, 08:07:32 PM

Fcuk the olympians here, well done. 25 for 5k is great and I would be very happy with that. I had to quit in the early summer due to a knee problem, having got up to 4k quickly. I started again recently but still haven't even done a 5k slowly. But I'll get there.
Are you the only one of the original Couch to 5kers still at it? I think I did the first week  :-[

the Deel Rover

I'd be delighted with 25 minutes for a 5k Orior . What are are you out of interest ? Back training tomorrow hope to do a half Marathon in a few months time.
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

muppet

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 25, 2012, 08:33:04 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 25, 2012, 08:07:32 PM

Are you the only one of the original Couch to 5kers still at it? I think I did the first week  :-[

I got to week 7/8 the first time, 4k very slowly. Then I got a Baker's cyst in the back of my knee and had to rest.

Started again and decided to run a faster pace this time from the word go. Got to week 7 and have been stuck there for a few weeks. But I am still in the game and the knee is holding. If I do a 5k in 25 mins (even 28 mins) I will be over the moon.
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

10km race in morning for local charity, it's a great social run and will help blow the turkey off before I refill on it.

Should be great!!

screenexile

Got one of those GPS watch jobs for Christmas along with a heart monitor. It looks like some job if I only had a clue how to use it!!!

All I've been doing is my normal runs but just tracking them. What's the best way to get some benefit out of them? I wouldn't know much about interval training or threshold running or that. Are there any guru's out there could help me to utilise it a bit better?

ballinaman

Quote from: screenexile on December 27, 2012, 01:39:29 PM
Got one of those GPS watch jobs for Christmas along with a heart monitor. It looks like some job if I only had a clue how to use it!!!

All I've been doing is my normal runs but just tracking them. What's the best way to get some benefit out of them? I wouldn't know much about interval training or threshold running or that. Are there any guru's out there could help me to utilise it a bit better?
Good stuff, not a bad present there. Is it the Polar one with GPS and HR monitor combined? Nice bit of tech that is.

The best man to ask would be tommygunn here, think he said he has been training with HR monitor for a few years now. Going to get into using it myself now, will definitely make your training more efficient if you get running in the right "zones".

Ended up just outside 23 mins for the 4 mile on stephens day, brutal course...one of the hardest ever I would go as far to say! Great turn out though considering the amount of grub the day before, great to see.

Milltown Row2

Birthday in couple of days was thinking of one of those things for myself. Did you get the Garmin one or another type? Did Santa let you know how much it cost?

Reading up on a few there and they seem grand, wouldn't be mad keen on long distance running, 10K would be my limit, although I've been talked into the Larne half marathon :o They seem decent jobs all the same and able to check your distance and match it with your last run. Would hate to do the same route all the time and this device would be able to give you an accurate time/distance run each time. Whats the recommended heart rate level that you should be aiming for (above flatline :P)? Notice ones at gym using them on the spin bike for monitoring the heart rate.

All this talk of running, away off to the gym now
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

It's the Garmin forerunner 410.

The cheapest I've seen it is £140. Handy bit of kit definitely I think I may need to do a bit of research around heart rate zones and such to work it out for myself.

www.handtec.co.uk/garmin-forerunner-410-010-00658-40.html?gclid=CNf9mOL_vLQCFe7MtAodpy4Agg

Rois

Orior - were you there this morn? I'm getting worse instead of better. I'm a long way off my PB - about a minute and a half.

There's prob going to be a run on New Year's Day at 10am.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 28, 2012, 11:17:51 AM

Birthday in couple of days was thinking of one of those things for myself. Did you get the Garmin one or another type? Did Santa let you know how much it cost?

Reading up on a few there and they seem grand, wouldn't be mad keen on long distance running, 10K would be my limit, although I've been talked into the Larne half marathon :o They seem decent jobs all the same and able to check your distance and match it with your last run. Would hate to do the same route all the time and this device would be able to give you an accurate time/distance run each time. Whats the recommended heart rate level that you should be aiming for (above flatline :P)? Notice ones at gym using them on the spin bike for monitoring the heart rate.

All this talk of running, away off to the gym now

"easy" running is 70% heart rate so you should keep the heart rate below that on easy runs. Tempo runs are 85.

Gps watches are great but mainly for number nerds... Heart rate training great for the fitness so i'd recommend it for that. You can also do measured intervals etc with specified recoveries and you can use a ghost feature to race against yourself from previous runs. Watches good for heart rate training but you need to know your zones.