Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The one goal i've not met this year bm is sub 17. The parkrun was just a wee sharpener for a 10k next week- it was of the back of a hard week so i think sub 17 in there when i get the right race.

Mr 1:30 is a tough nut to crack for a half- you'd be needing plenty of miles in the bank for that. Trainers don't need to be 100. Start fitness, sweatshop , sports direct etc online good for them. Last year's model a good one to go for as usually cheaper and never that much difference. Asics irritate my ankle so wear brooks so they're a wee bit dearer. Asics would be fine though - just make sure you get the right cushioning in them.

Bingo

I had a pair of New Balance but was getting problems on the archs of the feet, so got fitted and got a pair of Asics 2170's, haven't had a problem at all since. Got them in total black and everyone looks at them thinking they big and heavy and not for running but they light as a feather and great to run in.

They did cost a few quid but well worth it.

I know a few guys and they would have two pairs and rotate them when running. Not sure why but they would think its common enough.

ballinaman

Think I'll give the park run in Malahide tomorrow a go, have a good DIY job done on the foot and is painfree now. Anyone here going?

Mayo4Sam

I'm going again BM, let me know what sort of a top you'll have on
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on November 16, 2012, 09:20:06 AM
Good stuff...see ya there so. Probably black tshirt with a bit of red and black shorts.

Tubberman

Quote from: ballinaman on November 16, 2012, 09:29:05 AM
Good stuff...see ya there so. Probably black tshirt with a bit of red and black shorts.

Sounds lovely, ye'll be looking mighty ;)
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

StGallsGAA

I want to give some credit where its due.

I bought a pair of Saucony trainers for the Belfast Marathon from Up and Running.  Best investment ever, light as a feather. 

Anyway 5 months on and the sole started peeling.  Brought back to U&R and Catriona the manager took them to let the Saucony sales Rep look at them and he repalced them with a new pair.

10k runs are my max but I'll wear Saucony till I quit now!

ballinaman

Quote from: Tubberman on November 16, 2012, 09:37:10 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 16, 2012, 09:29:05 AM

Sounds lovely, ye'll be looking mighty ;)

All Blacks on tour sure.....only gear thats clean actually.. ;)

Interesting article on ice baths...
http://humankinetics.me/2012/11/12/ice-baths-may-injure-rather-than-heal/

imtommygunn

There are a load of variables in those things though BM:

- Did everyone do the same session?
- What were the effort levels of those sessions?
- When someone didn't have the ice bath did they push as hard as the time they didn't?

Sure you'll read theories on stretching not providing any benefit too but would you believe that... If you push yourself hard I think ice baths will couteract the DOMs a good bit.

You should be near the front of that parkrun anyway. The top end was in the 18s last week I think.

ballinaman

Agree tommy, there is conflicting evidence for most practices in sport science if you look hard enough these days. Would like to see the full article as you said with the variables outlined.
Really? The lungs are in for some shock tomorrow so, don't have a clue what type of time I'll do to be honest. No intervals in months, just want to see how much work is needed really.

imtommygunn

Yeah the real fast boys don't normally come out at parkrun... I'd be close enough to winning parkruns most times I turn up and you'd be similar pace or faster. Low 18s won it in malahide last week.

That was my first 5k in a long time last week. At 9:30 in the morning after a full training week. Not easy to say the least. Running fast that early alien to me!

Mayo4Sam

From what I hear there'll be a few faster lads tomorrow, last week was 18:19 I think
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Bingo

Them Parkruns are a great job, fair play to those getting them off the ground.

From looking at Boards.ie, it took a bit of work and effort to get the Malahide one up and going. Plus money to be able to do them for free. Does it come from Council funding and some private sponsorship?

Must say, I loved an ice bath after a long slow run during the marathon training. At the very least you could move afterwards.

imtommygunn

You have to come up with a few thousand for it Bingo. Generally speaking the councils will fund it and someone from a running club will undertake the running of it. They're a gift for councils making metrics for healthy living etc so it seems quite a few embrace it. I think they say parkrun will fund 3k of it and you fund the other 3. How that translates into euros I don't know though as that's sterling...

There's quite a bit goes into setting them up with regards to getting routes, making sure they're suitable, getting funding etc etc but the key thing is sustaining them. They get sustained on good will from people who enjoy them so help by volunteering usually from anything I can see up here.

Yeah I don't believe the ice bath thing at all...

Bingo

I seen a figure of 6k mentioned on boards. It would be the commitment to it that would be the issue as you say over time, you'd need a wide base and decent population to get people onboard and keep them onboard with a decent % willing to commit to helping out at times. Seems to take 3/4 people not running every week to set up and manage.