Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2012, 11:25:55 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
Yep,

Get the distance in training a few times and you'll fine fine Screen. If you could get a couple of 12km runs in too, you'll be sorted.

Anyone doing Dublin in October here lads? Training ramping up now, managed 65 miles last week with a 21 on Sat morn.

Just posted on end of last page, yeah I'm doing it. Will be first one.

Had a bit of knee problem for few weeks, so was a bit off schedule but got back on track the last few weeks. Did 37 miles last week, 15 yesterday plus 20km on the bike one evening.

Sticking to the training plan i have done for, will get a few 20miles in but not going further than that.

Did I see you skipping up past the entrance to Concra yesterday evening around 4.30? Looked very like you at a quick glance.  I was flying as I was late for a very important date ;)

I passed it yesterday at alright but it was 8.30 yesterday morning. And about a hour later. I try and get it done before people rise, they don't need to see me bounding round the place in tight shorts  ;)I had hoped to get down to that date but had a kids birthday party. Impressive result, your magic must be beginning to work!

I'd say that's a sight to behold alright, that is the same reason why I run under the cover of darkness, no fair on the childers!!  Starting a real push now at the end of the holidays, kids back to school and no excuses!

Result was good alright, don't know if its me or not but something's working at the minute!

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on August 20, 2012, 11:06:41 AM
Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2012, 10:53:38 AM
Yep,

Get the distance in training a few times and you'll fine fine Screen. If you could get a couple of 12km runs in too, you'll be sorted.

Anyone doing Dublin in October here lads? Training ramping up now, managed 65 miles last week with a 21 on Sat morn.

Just posted on end of last page, yeah I'm doing it. Will be first one.

Had a bit of knee problem for few weeks, so was a bit off schedule but got back on track the last few weeks. Did 37 miles last week, 15 yesterday plus 20km on the bike one evening.

Sticking to the training plan i have done for, will get a few 20miles in but not going further than that.
Good man. Its tough going but worth it in the end. I was buzzing after the first one last year, may I stress "after" it there, torture from 17 miles onwards for myself so it was..haha. I'm on a sub 3 program at the minute, will give it a shot but won't be devastated if i don't do it, auld lads Pb of 3.11 hopefully will be taken. Did 3.23 last year and went to pieces for last 8 miles so not going to make that same mistake again anyways!

Bingo

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 20, 2012, 11:29:02 AM
I'd say that's a sight to behold alright, that is the same reason why I run under the cover of darkness, no fair on the childers!!  Starting a real push now at the end of the holidays, kids back to school and no excuses!

Result was good alright, don't know if its me or not but something's working at the minute!

Never mind the childers, you'll have the women road walkers after you in no time. If you start now, you'll be ready for Croke Park on St Patricks day, spring from the bench for last 10 mins to seal the deal. Or be back on it for last 9 mins with a red card to the name  ;)

Take the credit when it going  :) They should never have been where they were, plenty of talent there and with the momentum now, they'll take stopping.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on August 20, 2012, 11:53:33 AM
Good man. Its tough going but worth it in the end. I was buzzing after the first one last year, may I stress "after" it there, torture from 17 miles onwards for myself so it was..haha. I'm on a sub 3 program at the minute, will give it a shot but won't be devastated if i don't do it, auld lads Pb of 3.11 hopefully will be taken. Did 3.23 last year and went to pieces for last 8 miles so not going to make that same mistake again anyways!

It tough alright. Actually found the first half harder yesterday than final 7 miles, maybe it was early morning start but was happy at the end to do it. There is a sunday morning running group but there was a local 10 mile race on yesterday, so they all headed for it. I wanted to stick to the longer, slower run.

Thats a hell of target for yourself but by looking at your time on here, you could well hit. One of the local runners targetted sub 3 for the london marathon and really pushed his training for it, 6 months he put in for it. He blew up with 3/4 miles to go and missed it by 8 mins. He was devastated but had invested so much in it. He going again for it in Dublin.

The fmaily bragging rights be very important!

An Gaeilgoir

Some advice needed,

After ten years of no exercise, i am back 2 months now. the standard week is bootcamp twice a week and a flat 7k and uphill 8k twice a week, getting faster all the time, the 7k is around 35 mins.

A couple of things, my calves always seem tight for the first 2 k but then loosen out, is this normal enought, also is there a decent watch out there that i could use to mark my distance versus time running, i have seen the GPS watches, but they are mad money.

Love the running now i have to say, a stone off in the last month as well, just keeping it casual, no marathons for me, just the odd 10k now and again,

ballinaman

Quote from: An Gaeilgoir on September 05, 2012, 10:59:02 PM
Some advice needed,

After ten years of no exercise, i am back 2 months now. the standard week is bootcamp twice a week and a flat 7k and uphill 8k twice a week, getting faster all the time, the 7k is around 35 mins.

A couple of things, my calves always seem tight for the first 2 k but then loosen out, is this normal enought, also is there a decent watch out there that i could use to mark my distance versus time running, i have seen the GPS watches, but they are mad money.

Love the running now i have to say, a stone off in the last month as well, just keeping it casual, no marathons for me, just the odd 10k now and again,
Good stuff, welcome to the endorphin addiction club.

I'd look after the calves, can develop Achilles and plantar fasciitis problems if you don't keep them loose. A foam roller is your best bet, I order from physiosupplies.com...they have a depot in Dublin and will get them out to you quickly. I'd start off the the short white one for yourself and then move onto black after a couple of months. The rumble roller will probably give you a heart attack if you start with it. Plenty of videos on youtube as to how to use them.

The GPS watches are the only way to get distance accurately unfortunately but you can get a rough guide if you set the clock on the car or else do a small measured loop course.

Never beat the deeler

Any of you guys use phone apps to measure the distance / speed etc?

Have downloaded one called Map My Run but havent had a chance to use it yet
Hasta la victoria siempre

laoislad

An Gaeilgoir most smartphones have free gps apps that will give you distance,pace,time and even a map of where you ran.
Runkeeper is a very good one. I just bought a arm strap for the iPhone off eBay for a couple of euros.
Surely a man in a high powered job like yourself has a smartphone!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Bingo

I much prefer the GPS watches, far easier to manage and use when on the run, one quick look at the watch and you have your distance, pace, time, speed, lap time etc etc.

I'm sure the smartphone does all this but with the size of them, they either in the pocket or strapped to the arm and takes a bit of effort to get into eyeshot when running.

The smartphones apps though are very good mind and will talk to you when used to full affect but alot of the time I'd not be listening with the earplugs in.

screenexile

Have my big 10k on Saturday now. I had done 2 5k runs at the beginning of August but the knee was at me (I've had 2 cruciate operations in the last 3 years) so had to take a break for a couple of weeks. The physio has told me I shouldn't be running on the roads but the 10k is in memory of a lad from here and I said I would do it this time so I feel I have to. Anyway I did the course the other night and broke the hour mark.

I had only meant to toodle around it to get an idea of the course but after taking 32 mins for the first 5k (with a lot of hills) I decided to push on and did the 2nd in 25.

I would like to break the 50 minute mark but is there any kind of strategy I should be using? Like I said I haven't done much training but would 5 mins hard and then 2 minutes slow get me a decent time or what kind of strategies do others use for 10ks?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on September 06, 2012, 10:32:03 AM
Have my big 10k on Saturday now. I had done 2 5k runs at the beginning of August but the knee was at me (I've had 2 cruciate operations in the last 3 years) so had to take a break for a couple of weeks. The physio has told me I shouldn't be running on the roads but the 10k is in memory of a lad from here and I said I would do it this time so I feel I have to. Anyway I did the course the other night and broke the hour mark.

I had only meant to toodle around it to get an idea of the course but after taking 32 mins for the first 5k (with a lot of hills) I decided to push on and did the 2nd in 25.

I would like to break the 50 minute mark but is there any kind of strategy I should be using? Like I said I haven't done much training but would 5 mins hard and then 2 minutes slow get me a decent time or what kind of strategies do others use for 10ks?

Just go at it, decent time if there are a few hills, the people running and watching will usually spur you on. You never want to look as if your jogging round for the craic and that competitive edge will make you want to go faster. Pick a runner in front and try and pass him or at least (if he's quick) stay close to him.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Bingo

I'd not so too hard at the start, thats for sure. You can very easily blow out in the early stages if you set off too quick and will be nothing in the legs for the finish.

Best 10k I did was with a very steady start and maintaining a good pace round, for last 2/3km I had enough left in the tank to step it up a touch and then when you know the end is in sight, as Milltown says, you'll always find a push to finish strong.

You boke the 60mark, to break the 50min mark, you have to cut a minute off each km you are running. Its a big ask. I'd set out to enjoy and in a race with lots of other people you'll surprise yourself and do a better time than you expect. But just be careful not too sprint off early, you;ll get a great adreniline rush in last 3 km if you are passing people rather than been passed.

imtommygunn

As bingo says don't go off too hard. It's ok doing that in a 5k but in a 10k you will die a death. Try and keep pacing as even as you can. Not sure if fast slow would work- your breathing may be busted...

The more even you pave the better you'll enjoy it.

thewobbler

The best method, in my experience, is to keep in touch with your pace throughout i.e. make sure you don't leave yourself too much to do at the end.

You're basically looking at 8 minute miles all the way.

Compare that to what realistically is the best pace you can run a mile at. If say that's a 7 minute mile, then you can't really afford more than a couple of 8.30+ miles. Uphill, upwind miles will take longer, bear that in mind.

But to be honest, I think the only way you're going to get under 50 is sustained practice.

I started back running 8 weeks ago (treadmill only) after many moons away. Initially I was doing 26 mins for 5k and that hurt like hell. I took it up to 8k at a slower pace again, and then every session I took a few more seconds off my time. First 10k, about 3-4 weeks ago, was 48 and a bit; I was delighted as my target was 50. I've kept at 10k since and broke 44 today. I'll get to 43 soon. It's just practice and a fair dash of stubbornness really - though I know from my playing days I'm about to enter the timings that are about my natural limit.

imtommygunn

Wobbler if you stick at it you'd be very surprised with limits. That's the one thing I've noticed in the running - you don't know your limits and it's a good 3 or 4 years till you reach them.

Running races are one of the worst places in the world to be when you blow up so best to avoid if you can... Stubbornness will get you through it but it's not fun!