Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junior9

glad to hear it's still going, i was involved in the organising of it about 10 years when i was on a student placement from university.  i might try to get back home for it next year if i haven't jacked the whole lot in by then

Bingo

Leaveherinsir, the greencastle run sounds risky with all those tyrone heads about  ;) There is a local 5miler on St Stephens day, a small charity run, so I'll do it to take the turkey outa the system.

Emyvale actually having a 5/10km run on New Years Day, so if I avoid an outing or party on New Years eve, I'll do the 5km.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2011, 09:06:38 PM
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/results/latestresults

There's a link to last week's results.

Everyone fits in at it - that's the good thing about it.  27.5 and you'd have plenty of runners around you - and behind you.

Thinking of doing the run this weekend. I know its free and you need your bar code, so what time do most arrive at? 15 minutes before race? Do you have to register before the off? Parking? Cheers in advance lads
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Orior

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2012, 03:45:23 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on November 14, 2011, 09:06:38 PM
http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/results/latestresults

There's a link to last week's results.

Everyone fits in at it - that's the good thing about it.  27.5 and you'd have plenty of runners around you - and behind you.

Thinking of doing the run this weekend. I know its free and you need your bar code, so what time do most arrive at? 15 minutes before race? Do you have to register before the off? Parking? Cheers in advance lads

Most people arrive about 9:15am. There is plenty of parking on the Cavehill Road opposite the police station.

No need to register at the start - you just show your bar code when you cross the finish line.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Bingo

Jan/Feb seem quiet enough months for runs/races/events etc.

8 of us have signed up for the 10km Hellandback challenge in Wicklow at end of January. 10km with a about 16 obsticles to navigate and a trip up the sugar loaf included as well. Should be a bit of craic if nothing else.

Rois

Did that Greencastle "run" on Boxing Day - jeez was I unfit!!! 

Getting back to it now and whilst I could walk from my house to the Waterworks run, I still haven't reconciled myself to the idea of getting up that early on a Sat morn. 

I really need a 10k to start to aim for, but that Hellandback thing is NOT what I am looking for. 

Bingo

Quote from: Rois on January 11, 2012, 04:55:38 PM
Did that Greencastle "run" on Boxing Day - jeez was I unfit!!! 

Getting back to it now and whilst I could walk from my house to the Waterworks run, I still haven't reconciled myself to the idea of getting up that early on a Sat morn. 

I really need a 10k to start to aim for, but that Hellandback thing is NOT what I am looking for.

Sure why not. Its a great challenge. As i said very little to aim for in Jan/Feb, particularly up my way. Come February their is a few Duathlons on that i'm taking on with, once i dust the bike down.

Did 2 10km runs over Christmas - St Stephens Day and New years day. Did 43m 40s on new years day which I was very happy with, it would have been my 4th 10km run.

Milltown Row2

I know the running machine can't replicate running out on the roads, but I've got to start somewhere!! I ran 5k tonight at the gym on the machine, the time was 21.53. What would be the difference? Obviously I'd be slower outside.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tintin25

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 11, 2012, 09:40:13 PM
I know the running machine can't replicate running out on the roads, but I've got to start somewhere!! I ran 5k tonight at the gym on the machine, the time was 21.53. What would be the difference? Obviously I'd be slower outside.

Jez, I would have thought that was decent? What speed did ya have it on?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tintin25 on January 11, 2012, 09:49:49 PM

Jez, I would have thought that was decent? What speed did ya have it on?

Started on 8.5 mph for 16 mins and dropped it for a minute and a half then finished on 9.5 mph. I think I can go quicker on the machine but I'll wait and see what the roads do

leaveherinsir

In my experience if you get a flat run on the road in good weather conditions you should be able to go faster than on a treadmill. Esp in a race, you get dragged along by the runners around you. Try for 7 mins per mile for the first two mile in a 5k and see if you can up it for the last mile and a bit! Good luck!

cavan4sam

Bingo, let me know what duathlons are coming up? I wouldn't mind doing a few of these myself

Bingo

Quote from: cavan4sam on January 11, 2012, 10:32:15 PM
Bingo, let me know what duathlons are coming up? I wouldn't mind doing a few of these myself

Sorry cavan4sam just seeing this now.
http://www.runireland.com/events/sportsman-duathlon-race-1 Have doing a few of these in mind.

This is the target http://www.runireland.com/events/harlequin-adventure-duathlon

The local club, Tri Muckno, have their annual Duathlon in Castleblayney on St Patricks day. Haven't finalised details yet.

If i hear of any others I'll let you know.

Milltown Row2

Did my first Parkrun today, good craic and well run.

theskull1

must have been cart horse slow or else you'd be bummin and blowin  :)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera