Player of the Year

Started by thewobbler, September 20, 2015, 08:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

There is no doubt a few people who like to apply a little bit of romantic spin to everything they see, but I'm pretty sure the overwhelming majority of us would agree that the Player of the Year gong should go to the player who had the single greatest influence on the Championship. So while sometimes this might be the most talented player, and sometimes it might be the highest scorer, at a all times it should be the player who either changed the course, or ensured the course, of the title.

If anyone can point me to a player who had a more telling influence on this year's Sam than Philip McMahon, well then I reckon we've been watching different sports.

Yep he's difficult to like. Indeed he fulfils, plus some, a description I read last night about Diego Costa - "he'd switch off your life support machine if it meant he could charge his phone" - but he put Aidan O Shea to bed, made Gooch look like a Kildare player, and was beyond accomplished in front of the posts.

It hasn't been a vintage championship, and we shouldn't look for a rose.

#voteforphil

Harold Disgracey

He probably is the leading candidate for Player of the Year, however I can't see it being awarded to someone caught on camera gouging the eye of another player in an All Ireland final.

Il Bomber Destro

Yup, definitely Philly McMahon.

DuffleKing

Farrandeelin

McMahon was superb today and in the semifinals. As wobbler said he had a real impact on the Championship. If Bernard Brogan had his shooting boots on and the ball bounced right for him, he would be up there, but McMahon had a massive impact in the last three games.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

LeoMc

Like him or not you would rather have him on your team than the oppositions.

redzone

Would it still be possible for a Kerry player to get it

Shrewdness

For me, Bernard Brogan is the Player of the Year, and my Young Player of the Year is Ciaran Kilkenny, with an honourable mention for Diarmuid O'Connor of Mayo.

Captain Obvious

What is the cut off year for young footballer?

macdanger2

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 20, 2015, 09:29:10 PM
For me, Bernard Brogan is the Player of the Year, and my Young Player of the Year is Ciaran Kilkenny, with an honourable mention for Diarmuid O'Connor of Mayo.

KK is overage, you need to be U21. DO'C is nailed on.

redzone

Mark Bradley for Tyrone was far more influential than oconnor

smort

ONeill

Bernard must be in with a shout.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

macdanger2

Quote from: smort on September 20, 2015, 10:17:52 PM
Is it not u23?

I used to think that but before the replayed sf, O'connor was 1/7, Bradley was around 2/1 and only one other player was quoted. Since the replay, there's been no odds available so presumably O'connor is guaranteed to get it

If it was u23, it'd likely be between Fenton, kk and Mccaffrey (if he's underage)

With the way football is going, there are few enough players involved at the business end who qualify.

Syferus

Brogan by a large margin. McMahon was good and deserves an All-Star but ffs he had a mate with him at all times on AOS and usually a sweeper quick to jump on AOS too - hardly all the Ballymun Brawler's doing..