Time to get rid of the yellow card

Started by thewobbler, June 15, 2014, 10:36:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

There seems to be some merit in the black card system. Football isn't quite as cynical, as the players have it hanging over them like a shadow.

But the problem with it is simple enough. Refs can, and have continually shown they will, 'let a player off' with a yellow. The cards seen to be interchangeable on who is holding them, what stage the game is at, and whether anyone else has already been blacked.

There's still too much interpretation involved. Commentators don't have a clue what type of incident constitutes what type of card, and spectators are by and large confused.

Solution is unusually simple. Bye bye yellow card.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on June 15, 2014, 10:36:31 PM
There seems to be some merit in the black card system. Football isn't quite as cynical, as the players have it hanging over them like a shadow.

But the problem with it is simple enough. Refs can, and have continually shown they will, 'let a player off' with a yellow. The cards seen to be interchangeable on who is holding them, what stage the game is at, and whether anyone else has already been blacked.

There's still too much interpretation involved. Commentators don't have a clue what type of incident constitutes what type of card, and spectators are by and large confused.

No excuse for that if that's the case. It's not exactly complicated. The one grey area is whether the referee deems it deliberate or now.

highorlow

So your saying black cards for everything then? Have a think about it. Not that simple.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

Itchy

Wobbler - black cards current only cover 5/6 fouls. What about the rest if there is no yellow.

muppet

Quote from: Itchy on June 15, 2014, 10:40:51 PM
Wobbler - black cards current only cover 5/6 fouls. What about the rest if there is no yellow.

We could then introduce a few new cards to replace the yellow.  :D
MWWSI 2017

Champion The Wonder Horse

You have thousands of more posts than me; I hope the rest are more sensible than the opening post.

thewobbler

Quote from: highorlow on June 15, 2014, 10:39:15 PM
So your saying black cards for everything then? Have a think about it. Not that simple.

Well I reckon it's simple enough.

For the last X years we had either bookings or yellow cards to cover off the more excessive elements of foul play.

A foul didn't qualify a yellow card in itself; the offender had to show deliberate intent, unnecessary malice, or else either inadvertently or deliberately prevent their opponent accruing a significant advantage.

And it worked quite well apart from when a team was chasing a lead against a team that hadn't picked up yellows earlier in the game; their opponents systematically fouled them one-by-one, aware they only had to see out a short period of the match on a yellow.

What I'm suggesting is simply that we revert to this system, except that every offence that previously would have warranted a yellow, together with those already earmarked as blacks, are all rewarded with blacks.

It's hardly a revolutionary thought.

Maguire01

So teams have to have a replacement for every current yellow card foul too? Ridiculous suggestion.

thewobbler

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2014, 10:38:21 PM

No excuse for that if that's the case. It's not exactly complicated. The one grey area is whether the referee deems it deliberate or now.

You say it's not complicated, but personally I find it a tad confusing. If Bernard Brogan is bearing down on goal and is tripped up by Ger Cafferkey, to be honest I couldn't give a toss if Cafferkey meant it or not. The same advantage is strippe off Dublin, and should be punished in the same way across the board.

thewobbler

Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:37:12 PM
So teams have to have a replacement for every current yellow card foul too? Ridiculous suggestion.
Personally, I find it odd that your first thoughts are not with restoring some advantage to the victim, but are instead with minimising the disadvantage to the perpetrator.

Maguire01

Quote from: thewobbler on June 15, 2014, 11:42:08 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on June 15, 2014, 11:37:12 PM
Personally, I find it odd that your first thoughts are not with restoring some advantage to the victim, but are instead with minimising the disadvantage to the perpetrator.
The yellow card already punishes the perpetrator. I was pointing out the practicality (or lack of) of such a suggestion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on June 15, 2014, 11:38:04 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 15, 2014, 10:38:21 PM

You say it's not complicated, but personally I find it a tad confusing. If Bernard Brogan is bearing down on goal and is tripped up by Ger Cafferkey, to be honest I couldn't give a toss if Cafferkey meant it or not. The same advantage is strippe off Dublin, and should be punished in the same way across the board.

well I still think it's fairly simple. The ref has to judge if Cafferkey meant it or not, because the intention is key to whether it is cynical or not, by definition.

johnneycool

Can a foul not just be a foul, free awarded and move on or do we need a card for everything now?

AZOffaly

Quote from: johnneycool on June 16, 2014, 04:12:30 PM
Can a foul not just be a foul, free awarded and move on or do we need a card for everything now?

I presume that's rhetorical? The vast majority of fouls are just exactly as you've described. Free count versus card count is hardly 1 to 1.