NFL Division 3 2012

Started by Syferus, January 28, 2012, 05:24:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

About time to throw a thread up, we're only a week out from the start now!

Saturday February 4th, 2012
7:00 PM

Antrim vs. Sligo (Casement Park)

Sunday February 5th, 2012
2:30 PM

Longford vs.Offaly (Glennon Brothers Pearse Park)
Wexford vs. Cavan (Wexford Park)
Roscommon vs.Tipperary (Dr. Hyde Park)

Saturday February 11th, 2012

Cavan vs. Longford (Kingspan Breffni Park)

Sunday February 12th, 2012

Offaly vs.Roscommon (O'Connor Park)
Tipperary vs. Antrim (Semple Stadium) 
Sligo vs.Wexford (Markievicz Park) 

Saturday March 3rd, 2012

Antrim vs. Offaly (Casement Park)
Cavan vs. Sligo (Kingspan Breffni Park)

Sunday March 4th, 2012

Longford vs. Roscommon (Glennon Brothers Pearse Park)
Wexford vs. Tipperary (Wexford Park)

Sunday March 11th, 2012
12 45 PM

Tipperary vs. Cavan (Semple Stadium)

Sunday March 11th, 2012

Offaly vs. Wexford (O'Connor Park)
Sligo vs. Longford (Markievicz Park)
Roscommon vs. Antrim (Dr. Hyde Park)

Sunday March 18th, 2012

Cavan vs. Offaly (Kingspan Breffni Park)
Longford vs. Antrim (Glennon Brothers Pearse Park)
Wexford vs. Roscommon (Wexford Park)
Sligo vs. Tipperary (Markievicz Park)

Saturday March 24th, 2012

Tipperary vs. Longford (Semple Stadium)

Sunday March 25th, 2012
12:45 PM

Antrim vs. Wexford (Casement Park)

Sunday March 25th, 2012

Offaly vs. Sligo (O'Connor Park)
Roscommon vs. Cavan (Dr. Hyde Park) 

Sunday April 8th, 2012

Cavan vs. Antrim (Kingspan Breffni Park)
Longford vs. Wexford (Glennon Brothers Pearse Park)
Tipperary vs. Offaly (Semple Stadium)
Sligo vs. Roscommon (Markievicz Park)

Saturday April 28th, 2012
TBC

NFL Divison 3 Final: 1st Placed team vs. 2nd Placed Team

N.B. the venues listed seem to only be provisional, from what I read in the paper the Roscommon vs. Tipp game will actually be played in Kiltoom, so similar changes for other games are likely.

Shamrock Shore

Christ. I hate this 'Glennon Brothers Pearse Park' lark. Infacta why the feckin place was named after Pearse is a mystery to me. It was named so in 1937 and, as far as I know, Patrick Pearse had no connection with Longford.

That said we have a good chance of a nice league run. I expect wins over Offaly, Cavan and Antrim. Can't seee much change from the games agin Sligo and the Rossies and Tipp. Wexford at home may be a close affair. I'll call it for Longford. So 4 wins and 3 defeats.

Syferus

For us the first game against Tipp is a piviotal one for the entire season - we've plenty of absenties (seven championship starters from last year, including the entire St. Brigids team, injuries and probably more college tied players than any other county panel) and this will be one of only three home games we'll have in the league, albeit away games to Longford, Offaly and Sligo soften that blow somewhat.

That's not to meantion Tipp being one of the most dangerous teams in the divison. If we can win that game we should be able to reach the latter stages of the league still in contention and by the Cavan game we should have a full hand to pick from and in that situation I think we're more than good enough to win out.

Getting a good run in the league would be a huge boost for a new manger with a game against Galway on the horizon.

Denn Forever

All eyes in Cavan will be on this especially after Johnson-gate.  Looking at the opposition, could this be the most competitive group in the League? 

I would take a top 3 position but I have a feeling we could be drawn in to a relegation fight.

Let Battle commence
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Billys Boots

I reckon it was named after Willie Pearse - in true Longford fashion!!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ross4life

From what i hear our opening league game has been switched to Kiltoom. I agree with Syferus, the Tipp game will set the tone for our league season & hopefully our injury list isn't as long as it's rumoured.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

No expectations from me, we could get promoted, we could get relegated and we could stay in the division.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

Paddy power odds To win the Div 3 title.

Wexford 5/2
Sligo 9/2
Longford 5/1
Tipperary 6/1
Offaly 7/1
Antrim 8/1
Roscommon 9/1
Cavan 9/1

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ross4life on January 28, 2012, 04:48:09 PM

Wexford 5/2
Sligo 9/2
Longford 5/1
Tipperary 6/1
Offaly 7/1
Antrim 8/1
Roscommon 9/1 WTF Get on it
Cavan 9/1
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Syferus

Wexford 5/2
Sligo 9/2
Longford 5/1
Tipperary 6/1
Offaly 7/1
Antrim 8/1
Roscommon 9/1
Cavan 9/1

I don't bet but that 9/1 for us is mighty attractive. We only need to get to second place to get to the final - and I expect alot of teams beating each other, so the threshold is likely to be low - and by then we'll have a very strong panel to choose from.

AQMP

Quote from: Syferus on January 28, 2012, 07:43:28 PM

Wexford 5/2
Sligo 9/2
Longford 5/1
Tipperary 6/1
Offaly 7/1
Antrim 8/1
Roscommon 9/1
Cavan 9/1

I don't bet but that 9/1 for us is mighty attractive. We only need to get to second place to get to the final - and I expect alot of teams beating each other, so the threshold is likely to be low - and by then we'll have a very strong panel to choose from.

Have to agree 9/1 for the Rossies is attractive.  Have realtives down in Roosky so always hope they go well.  Sligo 9/2, Antrim 8/1??  Considering these two have been joined at the neck for 3/4 years either Anrtrim are good value or Sligo are way over priced.

ross4life

As gambler i won't be going near those odds no matter how attractive. Another disappointing display away to Louth tonight from us without the St Brigid's lads (possibly out until the 2nd last game) & a mounting injury list i feel us keeping Div 3 status will be decent season.

Syferus

Quote from: ross4life on January 28, 2012, 08:04:51 PM
As gambler i won't be going near those odds no matter how attractive. Another disappointing display away to Louth tonight from us without the St Brigid's lads (possibly out until the 2nd last game) & a mounting injury list i feel us keeping Div 3 status will be decent season.

Hard to read much of anything into challenge matches, though - we lost to Donegal by a point in a high-scoring affair (!) two days before the GMIT game, after all. In the closest we've had to a serious game, the Mayo one, we showed plenty with a skin-bare team sheet. This division could be a wild ride, no one's safe and no team has no hope of promotion. A few good results is all you need in this sort of league to set yourself up.

Rossfan

Quote from: ross4life on January 28, 2012, 08:04:51 PM
. Another disappointing display away to Louth tonight from us without the St Brigid's lads (possibly out until the 2nd last game) & a mounting injury list i feel us keeping Div 3 status will be decent season.

Were you up there R4Life?  I heard they didnt do too bad but made a lorry load of substitutions.
Anyway - I too think we'll do well to hold on in D3 with the players available to us. We need to get some points in February or we could be rejoining D4 rapidly.
Mind you D3 has been the tightest League of the 4 over the last 3 years with most teams going in to the last round with a chance of promotion and a danger of relegation.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mylestheslasher

I have a tenner on Cavan to get promoted. Unlike a lot of teams, we are very focused on winning promotion as a top goal. We will know more after round 1 but I'm confident.