MacNean House & Restaurant

Started by Harold Disgracey, February 18, 2011, 11:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

Heading to Nevin Maguires place in Blackion tomorrow evening and staying the night. Has anyone been? I hear the food is amazing & I'm looking forward to it. Are there any decent pubs to have a few drinks afterwards?

Denn Forever

Don't know about Pubs, but well done for getting a seat.  Got a Voucher for the restuarant for a foodie friend at least two years ago and he says he can't get a booking (well he'd have to come from Carlow).  Food supposed to be brilliant.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 18, 2011, 11:04:19 AM
Heading to Nevin Maguires place in Blackion tomorrow evening and staying the night. Has anyone been? I hear the food is amazing & I'm looking forward to it. Are there any decent pubs to have a few drinks afterwards?

I was there a few years ago with the missus. We stayed the night. Really really nice food, small portions but super tasty. The bould Nevin will normally be there for a chat after the meal or in the morning (if you are staying). There is a little bar in the building too and most people that were there when I was just went into it after. Its an age since I went for a pint in that town can't remember the pub names or what they were like.

theskull1

Been once and really enjoyed it. You need to get over the attentiveness of the staff seeing as we don't really expect it in this country. Found it strange at the start, but they're very good at it. I wasn't totally blown away overall by what was served up (although some individual bits were delicious) but I may have set my expectations a bit high.

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

AidyMac

Tis a lovely place

Few bars local which varies - either packed or empty.

Within 15 secs of a walk you have 4 pubs

Declan

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on February 18, 2011, 11:50:17 AM
Been once and really enjoyed it. You need to get over the attentiveness of the staff seeing as we don't really expect it in this country. Found it strange at the start, but they're very good at it. I wasn't totally blown away overall by what was served up (although some individual bits were delicious) but I may have set my expectations a bit high.
It's no Village Inn or Pappy's Bakery is what you're saying?

theskull1

It's just your missus amongst many things is such a good cook  ;)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: theskull1 on February 18, 2011, 06:13:49 PM
It's just your missus amongst many things is such a good cook  ;)
You've never met her then.

gawa316

You have the bush just opposite which is a nice enough pub but wasn't many in it the last time i was in it.

Maguire's is on down abit. Small wee pub which I'd say hasn't been decorated since the 70's. It has a fire and is a deadly spot for a few pints.

There is the Piano Bar and also Barneys (maybe they are the same bar) never been in them so can't comment.

You also have Belcoo about 1/4 mile away, with Northern prices!!

sammymaguire

Defo worth the visit as it's the best restaurant around the area but be prepared to pay the city prices. Definitely worth it for that special occasion although it will be all about the restaurant, not the night life of Blacklion or Belcoo
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

under the bar

Superb spot.  Gourmet food in small portions of about 7 or 8 courses delivered over 2-3 hours just at the right time when you are ready for more.  Very modest surroundings, we were there in the middle of summer and it's an old B&B with low ceilings and no air con.  The place was jammed and sweltering but the food was supreme.  10 out of 10. 

Harold Disgracey

Excellent, just had a look on the MacNean website, drooling over the 14 page wine list.  There are 14 of us going, 7 couples, so should be a good night.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Harold Disgracey on February 18, 2011, 10:30:40 PM
Excellent, just had a look on the MacNean website, drooling over the 14 page wine list.  There are 14 of us going, 7 couples, so should be a good night.

car keys in the pocket or leave them in the room  ;)

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

spuds

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 18, 2011, 10:55:14 PM

car keys in the pocket or leave them in the room  ;)

or leave them in the bowl and when leaving let the ladies take a bunch
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard